TPC Southwind

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: TPC Southwind

Post by braden1308 »

I not only wanted to thank Sage for what he has done with this course but Leo Allen also. Leo is the man that really gets these projects off the drawing board. :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Totally agree...........................without Leo and his elevation data I would not even attempt these real courses.
Thanks Leo....!!!!

Sage..... :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im really happy about the collaboration between the three of you guys :smile: Would love if it continues. Great results :thumbup:

Havent had time to look at TPC Southwind much yet, but it looked quite nice on a very quick first glance.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

braden1308 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 1:30 pm Jimbo, quit wasting my time.
Just wondering. Was this in jest, or were you serious?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Glenn, Sage and Leo: I'm not sure if anyone else may have sent you a PM on changing out the textures / colors to a more subtle palette like you've done. But I, for one, really appreciate the changes you've made. The course looks much more natural and inviting to play now, IMHO. Thanks SO much for acknowledging my comments ( or anyone else's ).
I'll look forward to playing the course often......as well as anticipating any upcoming designs either individually ( or combined )that you have on your docket !

Thanks again, guys ! :tiphat:
gator

Post by gator »

braden1308 wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:21 pm I not only wanted to thank Sage for what he has done with this course but Leo Allen also. Leo is the man that really gets these projects off the drawing board. :cheers1:
sagevanni wrote: January 30th, 2022, 1:22 pm Totally agree...........................without Leo and his elevation data I would not even attempt these real courses.
Thanks Leo....!!!!

Sage..... :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :smile: :smile: :smile:
My pleasure to be able contribute to these wonderful courses and then watch as Sage and Glenn bring them to Links life!!

Leo
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

GoBucks wrote: January 30th, 2022, 2:29 pm
braden1308 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 1:30 pm Jimbo, quit wasting my time.
Just wondering. Was this in jest, or were you serious?
In jest, sarcasm is hard in text :dunno:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The pros don't play the 5th from the back tees-they play the next tee up. The members play from the back tees as a Par 5.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

[quote=Jimbo post_id=13150 time=1643569948 user_id=192]
The pros don't play the 5th from the back tees-they play the next tee up. The members play from the back tees as a Par 5.
[/quote]

I gave opinion in my post that tees could be moved up on hole #5 if a tournament was played on course here in Links since have seen hole plays into the wind, but the certainty in which you refer to this matter should have had a reference source cited---otherwise it only just looks like your own opinion.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:18 am Great course addition as course has hosted PGA Tour event every year since 1989 first being Danny Thomas/St. Jude, then Fed Ex tournament and most recently taking Firestone's spot as the World Golf Invitational yearly venue. Speaking of Danny Thomas, he passed in 1991 and here are other celebrities that have lent their names to PGA Tour events.

https://www.golfcompendium.com/2019/05/ ... ities.html

I was going to mention this course as several like it have hosted tournaments and enjoy playing course that week when pros play if the course has been designed in Links. For suggestion of Torrey Pines North course being designed that other post was made just before the beta on this course was released. Torrey Pines North is only played once either of the first two days of tournament and looks sort of bland in provisualizer, although like South course has a few holes along the cliffs. It lacks from what I can see hazards that might make it challenging as the South course is with the caliber to host a major championship. There are several courses that could be done instead, such as an upgrade to PGA West---Pete Dye course that now regularly hosts the last round of what was the old Bob Hope tournament, which once rotated courses each year for final round such as Bermuda Dunes, Tamarisk, and PGA West---Palmer course where David Duval once shot 59 in final round to win that tournament no longer in the mix. Also I remember that this tournament used to be a five round tournament, AND WHO NOW WOULD THINK OF DOING THIS? The Palmer course has been done here in Links, but the Dye course also is well known for hosting Skins event that started in 1983 and ended in 2008 would be a good choice to upgrade. Another tournament the old Crosby plays on multiple courses where do not see other courses when shown on tv, other than brief look ins than that of Pebble Beach. Fortunately Spyglass Hill has been designed in Links as it had recognition that Monterrey Peninsula or PGA West---Nicklaus course so far lack, albeit they may be good courses in their own right. Other long time courses that have hosted tournaments I would say should take preference over Torrey Pines North course, also courses that will soon host majors such as Los Angeles North course for US Open in 2024. There are other well known courses yet to be designed such as the recent addition of Couer d'Alene, not so much a tournament course site but has very beautiful scenery.

Critiquing TPC Southwind I see where the fifth hole was mentioned as being a par 5, but in the judgement of tournament directors they set par for hole as being a par 4 as is often done at the US Open for short par 5's. Par is meaningless anyway when playing in a tournament since all players have to play said hole. When I played it the wind was against me having to play two drivers to reach green in two shots. If were to drive into deep rough then there is no hope of reaching the green with next shot. If as I suspect the course will in the future be used for a Links tournament there are tees set at less than 540 yards that might be used instead of playing all the way back tees. The sand traps on the whole for course do not appear to be large, but the deep rough around the greens makes it tough to be able to get up and down and as mentioned the deep rough makes for a challenge when miss fairways like on hole #5. Hole #14 a long par 3 over a lake is the signature hole for this course. A pin set on the right side of the green is testing and usually the tournament directors move the tees up in that case. Players still chicken out playing to left side instead hoping to two putt for their par.
Hi Gene-the issue with the 5th hole is resolved by the PGA by playing from the second set of tees. The back tees are for the club members who use it as a Par 5. It's an issue that you hardly ever see on a real course. That's why none of the websites (other than the PGA Tour) have managed to "get it right". :whistle: