Help Different Problem with water reflection

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: Help Different Problem with water reflection

Post by Adelade »

I managed to get rid of the glitches (on my end anyway) without deleting faces, my findings seem to support Derrick's comment about the game having some problem with how verts line up or something, seemingly where the terrain goes down below the water level (Good to see you post again by the way Derrick, you doing alright?).

Ian I think you should be able to replicate what I did by following these instructions (if you want to). The key seems to be cleaning up the mesh in one specific area, it is possible you could clean it up in any way you wish to, but it might be safer(?) to follow what I did, I tried the exact thing twice with a complete redo in between with same successful result, recording what I did the second time. I didnt bother cleaning up the seam blends after myself, so I know it doesnt look beautiful after my last step, but I didnt see the point of doing anything more myself after that point - I dont even have your most recent version, and Im thinking you could clean up by repairing the one seamblend between the light-brown and darker brown textures without risk of making the glitches return, as long as you keep it simple (though honestly, the area isnt seen during normal play except for on the top cam, so if you wanted you could just plant some trees to cover the top cam and be done with it). If you decide to clean it up, probably best to make a save in between and doublecheck that it gets rid of the glitches for you as well.

1. The picture below shows what I identified as the "problem area", I marked with red the specific area that I suspect is the main problem, with the yellow markings possibly mattering too. (The purple marks one large face, which I destructively deleted during my earlier test - along with the one face closest to it in the red-marked area - with the result of eliminating the glitch for me. But nevermind that, it doesnt seem necessary to delete any faces)

U1.jpg
U1.jpg (444.72 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

2. The picture below shows how I select faces with the box select tool (I hold shift down for the second select). It is important to use box select in order to make sure all the razor-thin faces get included in the selection. Dont miss the 2nd box select depicted on the right.

U2.jpg
U2.jpg (510.3 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

3. I turned all those faces into the light-brown Rough texture (this makes verts in the area less reluctant to being deleted), in the picture below on the left you can see the selection having changed texture. I apply your usual planar mapping meant for this texture because why not. Then on on the right I have box selected those verts. Notice that it says 15 verts selected, which means there are 9 of them within the green circle I drew.

U3.jpg
U3.jpg (480.48 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

4. I press delete verts. only 2 refused to be deleted, that seems fine to me. Result seen in picture below on the left. You can also see the small red circle of the Terrain Painter as I am in the process of adding just one vert there with the painter (remember to have the correct settings and check that only one vert gets added). This might not be necessary but I did it as a quick and simple way of automatically turning edges in the area into neater positions. Result on the right.

U4.jpg
U4.jpg (496.68 KiB) Viewed 3569 times

Then I did V&S, checked in game and glitches are gone for me, I tried my best to check many angles and they seem to be all gone. Again, the area isnt left pretty, but you should be able to repair the light-brown to dark-brown seamblend if you wished to, I doubt it risks getting the glitches back unless maybe you add a ton of verts or something. And again, you could just plant some trees over it and no one's going to see it anyway.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh and I suppose if you want to be really picky you might need to check for any floating 2D objects in the area afterwards, since the ground would get slightly reshaped. If extremely unlucky something like that could possibly turn up visible from 7th tee but I doubt it.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
:notworthy:

I can not thank you enough for the time and effort you expended in order to solve this problem. :cheers1: :tiphat:

The design of Wade Hampton was before I knew about the way Sage made his square end seams, therefore there were many weird mappings, which in hindsight is surprising that there was only this one problem. None of which is important as it is now fixed. As an aside the elevation of the green did not work. :whistle:

I will make a couple of test rounds, just in case, and then release the FINAL.

Once again thank you very much.

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Well dont count the chickens until sure it works, but no prob :smile: I had many motivating factors to try figure this out, not least the fact that the real course Im working on - being a mountain course - has a ton of water with lower terrain nearby so I've long prepared for possibly being forced to deal with issues like these. Just look at this hole for an example...

H11 NB.jpg
H11 NB.jpg (240.64 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Downhill hole, the water on the right side of the picture is around 30 feet/9 meters above the water by the green... And I insist on trying to have reflective water if I can. Surprisingly enough, so far during practice mode I've actually not encountered anything too bad, but it may be because the course is still in such an unfinished stage, maybe once I add seamblends or planting or something things will suddenly go haywire... will be interesting to see. With what I've learned from my troubleshooting on your course, along with your own troubleshooting and posts, and other people's comments, I feel like I have a much better chance at figuring something out if I come across similar issues :thumbup:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
I have played the hole numerous times and the problem is no more. Thanks

The photo looks very nice where is it? Sweden?

Thanks again.

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thats great to hear. Picture is South Korea, Jeju Island, a mountainside halfway up a large dormant volcano. Golf club is called The Club at Nine Bridges
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Good to hear the problem as been sorted. Below is a section of my course, I use as many verts as are needed to do a job but I try to keep things neat
and tidy. This way I get very few problems
Verts.png
Verts.png (838.74 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Hi Adelade. Its been a very bad year, The only good news is that the problem I had with permanant pins and needles in both arms as been sorted.
For months my fingers and hands were so bad I could not pick a spoon up, use a pen or use the mouse on the computer, my fingers were like dead
sticks.The cure came from a slight mishap in the garden, I was moving some bushes in a small raised up garden and I managed to slip off the little
wall I was sitting on and I ended up with my backside wedged in the hole I had just made and my head and neck was pressed up against the fence panel
My chin was on my chest and it took several minutes before I riddled round so I could get up. I wasnt hurt so I finished planting and went in for tea.
The slight jolt I had with my head wedged against the fence had cleared the problem I was having, it must have been a trapped nerve or something.
I was really shocked to find that everything was back to normal, no pain or pins and needles and I could use my fingers again. back to the old APCD ?
The bad news is that I lost my wife to Covid in may, and this week my 20 year old car as failed its MOT. Its like me it looks OK on the out side but
underneath its ready for the scrap yard. I only use it once a fortnight to do a bit of shopping so I have decided to kiss it goodbye. repairs to costly.
Just out of interest this is the old girl that I have let go, I got ( £85 ) for it, so things are looking up
car 1.png
car 1.png (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3505 times
car 2.png
car 2.png (3.54 MiB) Viewed 3505 times
Ian sorry to highjack your post, but its nice to talk to someone, I live in a quite little cul-de-sac and I hardly ever see anyone. Things can only get better
:thumbup: :ill: :yes:
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

P.S I go in next week to have cateracts removed :scared: :notworthy:
Derrick
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Derrick,
Highjack all you want.
Good luck next week.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thats a pretty amazing story about the happy nerve accident, sorry to hear about your wife though... Welcome back anyhow, dont forget to share any courses you finish :thumbup: