Problem with water reflection

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Re: Problem with water reflection

Post by Ian Wells »

LeWaW,
Thanks for the thought, but yes all of the areas are flattened.
All thoughts/ideas are welcome, sometimes I make the most basic, stupid mistakes.
Thanks again.
Ian
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

have a look at Lez's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dXK_c7 ... o&index=19

I'm sure it's down to different areas of reflective water being at different levels. On Lenton Lakes, I used non-reflective for the higher pond.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

are there any nearby bunkers lower than the water level, that can cause issues
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Its not only your courses Ian, I agree that the worst examples arent nice to accept, but there may be no perfect solution when doing some real courses if you want to make them accurate, other than doing non reflective water, and I dont consider that a perfect solution either since Im not a huge fan of non reflective water unless its for oceans, large lakes or running water. I've also heard a lot about different bodies of water at different heights, one thing you could do if you want to test, is turning all other bodies of water into some other texture for one save and see if it solves the reflections in the one body of water where you saw problems.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thank you all for the replies.
I am presently having my downtime from APCD but I will begin to test your suggestions tomorrow.
Please continue thinking, I really do appreciate your ideas.
Ian
Stephen Sullivan

Looking at the course on GE, the ponds are at various different heights. I think your only real option is to use a non-reflective water texture.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Stephen, Glenn and Adelade,
Thank you all so much for your help.

I have spent at least 5 hours trying to work through this and I believe we have it fixed. (Luckily being with our daughter allows me a little more latitude with my good lady :smile: )

The bad reflection on the 16th was solved by changing the terrain of the water coming in to that pond to running water, thanks Adelade.

The real solution came when I realised that the two ponds that were 50 yards apart, one was good and the other not. Thanks to Glenn's thoughts regarding bunkers, I checked the elevation of the water and adjusted both to be the same elevation. Both were then good.

There is a water flow from the east side of the plot to the west side that falls 26 feet. The flow of water is controlled by a number of weirs with some weirs having a pond after the weir. When I built each weir I made the base of the high water side the same as the low water side, which seemed perfectly logical to me.

I have now changed each weir base so that the base elevation matched the elevation of the water on that side. This solved those bad reflections. I made the same adjustments to the supports and bridge on hole 2, again with success.

It is obvious that within a certain distance (50 yards?) there can be no vertices that have a lower elevation than the water elevation, further away from this distance doesn't seem to have any difference.

Once again gentlemen thank you for your help. A problem shared is indeed a problem halved, or in this case quartered.

Ian
Stephen Sullivan

Glad you got it sorted Ian. Now I just need to work up some enthusiasm to do another course :laugh: I think 2 courses in a year as sapped my energy.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Glad to help Ian, can't wait to see your new design
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Ian...you'll be hearing from You-Know-Who very soon.

Sincerely
You-Know-Who :whistle: