Peachtree Golf Club Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Peachtree Golf Club Beta

Post by Ian Wells »

Jimbo,
I have your email and I will review your comments after I am finished with Wade Hampton.
Thanks for your help.
Ian
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Ian, this course is great, looking forward to the final release.

Played the front 9 in practice mode and found some things I wanted to mention:
  • I can play from any of the water hazards. If I intentionally shoot into any of them, it will let me [Continue] and not require a [Drop]. This was true on #2, the creek on #3, and the water in front of the tee on #9.
  • The bridge on #9 is awesome. If I try to play onto it, it is marked as an unplayable lie, however, I can do a [Drop] to get onto it and play from it. Hehe, this is not a flaw in your work and I doubt you could do anything about that software "feature", but it entertained me for a bit exploring the bridge. You can see some texture/mesh issues on the bridge (see attachments).
  • The parking lot area was intriguing (left of #1), so I drove over there and discovered it is OB, but Links let me play from there. Links-ism? Or is there a setting you have to apply to that area to force me to [Drop]?
  • I shouldn't be in the "Soil" areas to the left of #5 fairway, but I was exploring :). I have access to the "Underground" from over where nobody is likely to ever hit(?) anyway, so up to you if you want to fix something like that.
  • Nitpick: I am not a fan of the grass at the base of many of the trees on the course. Not sure if you have any substitutions that you could use. And I may be the only one that notices this. I'm sure there are many other Links courses which use these. In general, I'd like to see better resolution of the tree images (HD), but that may not be an option or obtaining them may be impractical too?
  • Last nitpick: the text on the splash screen is clipped at the bottom. The text could also use a little anti-aliasing so it looks better, it's a bit choppy.
See attachments for illustrations of some of these points.
I'll find some time to play a legit round on the whole course soon-ish.

Thank you for this effort, it looks awesome so far.

-dh
Attachments
TreeGrassBase.8.png
TreeGrassBase.8.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3321 times
SplashTextClipped.png
SplashTextClipped.png (223.47 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
MudShowsUnderground.5.png
MudShowsUnderground.5.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3321 times
PlayFromOB.1.png
PlayFromOB.1.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3321 times
PlayFromH2O.2.png
PlayFromH2O.2.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3321 times
PlayFromBridge.9.png
PlayFromBridge.9.png (348.54 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Migo-I learned at Lambton 😄 that rules don't apply. I think it's to let everybody check everything. The final release has everything sorted.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Migolfer (DH)

Thanks for the comments I will be looking into all the comments from yourself, Jimbo and Adelade, plus any others that may come in. I hope to begin this tomorrow as I have completed Wade Hampton. Please play the back 9 and let me know of any mistakes.
Thank you
Ian
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

I believe that if you are playing in "practice" mode, you can hit from the water, etc.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

migolfer wrote: November 29th, 2020, 3:36 pmLast nitpick: the text on the splash screen is clipped at the bottom. The text could also use a little anti-aliasing so it looks better, it's a bit choppy.
This seems to depend on what resolution you use, for me when I load the course the text doesnt have this issue (I play at 1680 x 1050 windowed mode on a 1920 x 1080 screen).

Practice Options > "Enforce normal round rules" (can access both in the screen setting up a practice round and during practice in the bottom menu) in order for water/OB/other hazards to play as normally during practice rounds.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Kunkleman wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:39 am I believe that if you are playing in "practice" mode, you can hit from the water, etc.
Oh! Never thought about that. Makes sense. Brings back a vague memory that I may have known that at one time (15+ years ago).

thx,
-dh
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Adelade wrote: November 30th, 2020, 1:01 pm
migolfer wrote: November 29th, 2020, 3:36 pmLast nitpick: the text on the splash screen is clipped at the bottom. The text could also use a little anti-aliasing so it looks better, it's a bit choppy.
This seems to depend on what resolution you use, for me when I load the course the text doesnt have this issue (I play at 1680 x 1050 windowed mode on a 1920 x 1080 screen).

Practice Options > "Enforce normal round rules" (can access both in the screen setting up a practice round and during practice in the bottom menu) in order for water/OB/other hazards to play as normally during practice rounds.
But it's more fun not to enforce the rules!😁
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I would like to thank Pete, Jimbo, Adelade and Migolfer for taking the time and effort to play the course and offer their comments.

I received the comments from the Nit-Picker by email, and I have sent my replies the same way.

Pete,
All the "odd" water reflections have been corrected.

Adelade

The 2D grasses by the ditches, for example on hole 3, seem to give steel bounces.
Agreed and Fixed

There is a texture property of Green, in the sand in bunker edges, possibly in a sand-soil blend.
Agreed and Fixed

The view to the right of the 12th green looked pretty odd, with the elevations of the asphalt (carpark maybe?).

Agreed and Fixed

I’m not sure if the pins are finalized or not, they look deliberate but in some places I think they miss out on a lot of potential for making the course a lot more enjoyable with challenging conditions, in particular on holes 2 and 5, but also somewhat on 3 and 11. Pins looked a little one-dimensional here and there elsewhere too but Im not calling anything unacceptable and I know the amount of time that can go into it. I recommend using the BLI for quickly checking things out instead of test-putting.

Some of the greens are difficult to set the pins. I tried to make all pins honest for the player.
I attach my worksheet for hole 2 and you will see that - to my mind - the locations are limited. I have moved pins 14 and 15 to a more difficult location and tested them, and holed both on first attempt (F/F).😀

Green 2 contours1.jpg
Green 2 contours1.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 3205 times
On the 5th green, and all the greens, I generally located the pins where the course [usually] places them. (Based on historical GE images.) see attached worksheet. If you have any suggestions I will look at them. Nothing is cast in concrete - yet.
Green 5 contours.jpg
Green 5 contours.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 3205 times
I do use the putting guide, otherwise I would never finish.

About 16th Junior and Ladies tees, you could assign them to Front tee instead if you wanted, which might be less of a shock than playing from those tees than suddenly being at Back tees, if they missed your warning about it. Its done in Course Properties > Hole Info > Add ratings to Tee.

Agreed and changed.

Elevations here and there around green edges seem kind of sharp/bumpy to me, like with Wade Hampton after the green changes, usually nothing big enough to complain about but to me it does leave things with a bit of an uncanny feeling, perhaps the real course is like that too - I don’t know. A couple examples that particularly caught my eye were one fringe spot short-right of 14th green and one spot on the near edge of 11th green.

Hole 14 fixed.
Hole 11 fixed

The problem that you found is usually because I inputted the incorrect elevation. As you will see from my worksheets with so many elevations to enter for each green I sometimes get it wrong. If you see any more please let me know.
(I had completed 60% of the greens when the discussion began regarding Strakaline and GolfLogix and I wasn’t willing to forfeit all that effort. Next course I will use the green books, if possible. As an asside the degree of accuracy from GE for this course I found amazing compared with other courses I have looked at.

All tees were green in colour, is this as intended?

On all the photographs that I have seen I have only seen green tees.

I wasn’t too sure if I was imagining it or not, but the bunkers struck me as kind of shallow, perhaps they are like that in real life too though.

As far as I can ascertain they are as built. I tried to make the bunkers as the photographs that I have viewed. Am I 100% certain? No.

MIgolfer,

I can play from any of the water hazards. If I intentionally shoot into any of them, it will let me [Continue] and not require a [Drop]. This was true on #2, the creek on #3, and the water in front of the tee on #9.
As previously said in practice anything goes.

The bridge on #9 is awesome. If I try to play onto it, it is marked as an unplayable lie, however, I can do a [Drop] to get onto it and play from it. Hehe, this is not a flaw in your work and I doubt you could do anything about that software "feature", but it entertained me for a bit exploring the bridge. You can see some texture/mesh issues on the bridge (see attachments).

I didn’t extrude the anti-slip matting I put on both bridges, 4 and 9. I didn’t realise that it would make a difference and dropping a ball on the matting sometimes went through.

The parking lot area was intriguing (left of #1), so I drove over there and discovered it is OB, but Links let me play from there. Links-ism? Or is there a setting you have to apply to that area to force me to [Drop]?

As previously said in practice anything goes.

I shouldn't be in the "Soil" areas to the left of #5 fairway, but I was exploring :). I have access to the "Underground" from over where nobody is likely to ever hit(?) anyway, so up to you if you want to fix something like that.

(there are rounds that I have been very near where you were.) I couldn’t find it in APCD, but I found it in Links, and hopefully corrected it. This was a new problem for me

Nitpick: I am not a fan of the grass at the base of many of the trees on the course. Not sure if you have any substitutions that you could use. And I may be the only one that notices this. I'm sure there are many other Links courses which use these. In general, I'd like to see better resolution of the tree images (HD), but that may not be an option or obtaining them may be impractical too?

I agree with you but until somebody creates a new set of HD tree images these are what I have to use. My knowledge of GIMP is no way good enough to make new images.
I have, hopefully, removed the worst ones

Last nitpick: the text on the splash screen is clipped at the bottom. The text could also use a little anti-aliasing so it looks better, it's a bit choppy.

Fixed. New splashscreen.

Thank you all. :tiphat: :cheers1:

Ian
Pete

Post by Pete »

Release imminent :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbup: