Crouching Beast

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
FOOOOORE!

Crouching Beast

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I didn't have this on my HD for some reason, so I was playing this (newer) course for the first time. It's very interesting and quite enjoyable. I think maybe it was misnamed though, and it should be Crouching Beach :laugh: Man, that's a lot of sand, it makes Oakmont look like a city park. Are there a couple of holes where you have a choice of two greens? I wasn't sure what I was looking at, so I just hit toward where my golfer was pointing. It did look as though another green was available at times.
John B

Re: Crouching Beast

Post by John B »

I have more fun playing Crouching Beast and Wyntoon than any other courses. Sure, there are slicker looking ones out there these these days, but for pure enjoyment those are my top two.

Too bad it seems that these are the only two courses from this designer to be found, I'd love to play any other ones he may have created.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

John B wrote: September 4th, 2020, 1:08 pm I have more fun playing Crouching Beast and Wyntoon than any other courses. Sure, there are slicker looking ones out there these these days, but for pure enjoyment those are my top two.

Too bad it seems that these are the only two courses from this designer to be found, I'd love to play any other ones he may have created.
Have you tried my updated version of Crouching Beast yet?
Some of the greens had to be altered to make it mod friendly, and all the pin positions were redone.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
John B

Post by John B »

Lez Marwick wrote: September 4th, 2020, 2:03 pmHave you tried my updated version of Crouching Beast yet?
Some of the greens had to be altered to make it mod friendly, and all the pin positions were redone.
No sir, I wasn't aware you updated it, but will download it shortly. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention Lez, I look forward to giving it a try! :thumbup:
John B

Post by John B »

Hi Lez, I downloaded and played a round on your updated version of Crouching. Well done mate! Thank you so much for making a great course even better. I shot a somewhat dismal 2 over par, but...managed to ace the 3rd hole! Thank you again for your efforts Lez.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Played it yesterday from Mid tees as they on first glance seemed like theyd be most enjoyable considering the yardages and width of fairways. One of the few fictional layouts I liked on first round, tough but fair and nothing stuck out as unrealistic to me, thank you for introducing it to me Lez :smile: It basically feels like a mountain course, lovely to see the elevation work, I wonder if I would have thought the same before your green and pin edits... Comparing to the screenshots of the old versions it seems like you've updated it without changing the aesthetic, which I am a BIG fan of :thumbup: Great update
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Adelade wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:45 am Comparing to the screenshots of the old versions it seems like you've updated it without changing the aesthetic, which I am a BIG fan of :thumbup: Great update
When updating other people's courses I try for the most part to create new textures as close to the original as I can, to keep to the designer's intended look for the course. I only deviate from this if I feel that the choices made by the designer were detrimental to the course being played and enjoyed - this is just my personal opinion - we all have different tastes.... maybe they were colour blind... or deaf... or just less fussy than me!! or perhaps they were just confined by the limited availability of textures, sounds, or planting etc. at the time they were produced. Hopefully if I remove or change things that annoy me on a course then this won't have the opposite effect on others.... but if it does, then those players can always still play the original, or load it in to APCD and work on it themselves!! :yes:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen