Can you turn off Recommended Yardages?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
wojo

Can you turn off Recommended Yardages?

Post by wojo »

The 10th hole at Salishan is a Par 5 double dog leg that is only 488 yards long from the middle tee. When I try to define the hole path, the total of the recommended yardages that pop up is too long and it won't let me lay out the hole properly. The first shot recommends 240 yards, but it does allow 200 as a minimum,so I did that. The second shot unfortunately demands a minimum of 200 yards. That leaves the third shot 88 yards to the center of the green... but the recommended yardage that pops up for the third shot is 100 yards. It won't allow a 88 yard third shot.

Is there a way to shut off the recommended yardages that pop up during the "define hole path" command? I'm guessing those recommended yardages are handy when you're laying out a new course from scratch. I'm tracing an existing course and all the yardages are set.

Wojo
Attachments
Salishan - 10th Hole.jpg
Salishan - 10th Hole.jpg (291.5 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
pmgolf

Re: Can you turn off Recommended Yardages?

Post by pmgolf »

Why are you doing anything from the middle tees? Define from as far back as you want. A 600 yard hole can have a 480 yard middle tee. You're defining the hole, right? Did you watch the Lez Marwick videos? If not, WHY? You'll learn a lot more in the videos than you will from one question at a time in the Forum!

Pete
wojo

Post by wojo »

I'm tracing existing tees, fairways, and greens, so I don't have the luxury to lengthen holes by moving tee boxes. The shortest total yardage the recommended yardage pop-up will allow on a pair 5 is 500 seems to be yards... Try it.

I tried using 200 yards on the tee shot, because that's the shortest drive it will allow. It recommends 240. It forces you to hit the second shot 200 yards also. That's the shortest yardage it allows me to enter. If I could hit the second shot something like 180, it would all work. It allows nothing less than 100 yards for the third shot to the green.

So there's no way to get around the 500 yard minimum for a pair 5? In real golf, you don't have to hit a driver off the tee all the time. If it would allow you to select clubs for each shot, I'd probably try to hit 200, 180, and then 108 on this particular hole.

The great responses to my questions have allowed me to build most of this course in a couple of days.

Thank you all.
Wojo
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I just laid out a par5 on a test plot, and had no trouble creating one that was 450 yards in length. The distances were... first shot, 200yds, 2nd,175yds, and 3rd, 75yds. A total of 450. That is shorter than what you say you were required to use by over 30 yards. And of course as I can place other tee blocks where I want, within the defined hole yardage allowances, I could put the middle tee even closer than that. So Im not sure why you should be having a problem.

BTW, I am choosing NOT to use the auto create shapes for a hole.

Cheers, AJ
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yeah laying out from the furthest tees is more standard (but maybe it doesnt matter much). Like AJ says the 2nd shot minimum seems to be 175 yards so try that again. It was like that for me on all different settings, but I would still recommend redoing your hole layouts with the setting AJ mentions - you find it in the menu Plan > Define Hole Path > "Advanced Settings" button in left sidebar > General Settings > Pick the 3rd of the 3 options (You have to do this before plotting out, and each new time opening APCD until done plotting out). I recommend this for 2 reasons: 1. Even if it wasnt the case this time, the option to creating hole path for existing terrain tends to have wider allowed yardage ranges in many cases, at least allowing far greater maximum distances. 2. Im pretty sure your current setting will force you to insert the shapes before the course can become playable, which is something you very much do NOT want to do when following the Art text guide or Lez' video guides, or in fact if following any recommended way of doing things. Inserting shapes creates ugly problems in vert structure/mesh and elevation.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 13th, 2020, 2:36 am I'm tracing existing tees, fairways, and greens, so I don't have the luxury to lengthen holes by moving tee boxes. The shortest total yardage the recommended yardage pop-up will allow on a pair 5 is 500 seems to be yards... Try it.

I tried using 200 yards on the tee shot, because that's the shortest drive it will allow. It recommends 240. It forces you to hit the second shot 200 yards also. That's the shortest yardage it allows me to enter. If I could hit the second shot something like 180, it would all work. It allows nothing less than 100 yards for the third shot to the green.

So there's no way to get around the 500 yard minimum for a pair 5? In real golf, you don't have to hit a driver off the tee all the time. If it would allow you to select clubs for each shot, I'd probably try to hit 200, 180, and then 108 on this particular hole.

The great responses to my questions have allowed me to build most of this course in a couple of days.

Thank you all.
Wojo
here's a tip that you may not know about. The overlay cannot be used in the Links Game. The APCD will allow us to use textures up to a maximum size of 4096x4096, but unfortunately, the Links game cannot handle any textures over 1024x1024. Bottom line is, when you get ready to test your course in the game, you will need to make a copy of your last APCD save and revise it so it can be used in Links. To revise it, you must replace 100% of the overlay texture on your plot with some other texture no larger than 1024x1024, and then do a "validate & save. Then when you go back to the APCD, you can reload your last save before you revised it and continue your work.

Good luck, :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
wojo

Post by wojo »

Thanks, guys. I just went ahead and lengthened that hole 12 yards to appease whatever the recommendations wanted. I moved all the hole setups to use the back tees. I still don't know why I have restrictions on those second and third shots, though.

Wojo