My Seam Blend Discovery

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

My Seam Blend Discovery

Post by AJ Allen »

This probably won't be news to experienced designers, but just wanted to share anyway. :thumbup:

One of the things I had been wanting to do with seam blends was to be able to take something like a cart path, and cross various seams such as going from rough to dry grass, or maybe crossing the fairways. So I was experimenting with that today, and found what seems to work well for me, being able to take my cart path across various terrain types without messing up the existing seams.

I really wanted to find the best way to do this, as I'm certain that on the next course I plan, I will need to be able to do this if I want an accurate representation of the course.

Maybe there is a better way to do it, but this seems to work for me. I have attached a screenshot just to show how a cart path goes from heavy rough, cuts across the dry grass seam, and then comes out the other side by the next tee box.

Cheer, AJ :cheers1:
Attachments
seamblend.jpg
seamblend.jpg (491.54 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Adelade

Re: My Seam Blend Discovery

Post by Adelade »

Warning: nitpicking post incoming for the sake of science :whistle:

While what you have achieved certainly looks by far good enough in my opinion, I'd like to point out that this part
AJ Allen wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am[..]without messing up the existing seams.
is an exaggeration. The previous seam blend in your picture between deep rough and dry grass has been "messed up" to a slight degree, its just not very noticeable unless you look closely. I made a thread about this subject a while back, it can be dug up with the search function but basically I could only conclude that there seems to be no method to make an intersection of 3 different textures with full seamblending look 100% perfect - only tricks to make the bad spot as inconspicuous as possible. If 2 textures have relatively similar appearance it gets a lot easier to achieve, if you swapped your 2 grass textures to ones that have less similarities and if your alpha between them was sharper the spot would stand out a lot more. I'm only saying this so that you wont have a nasty surprise in the future if counting on this method to work 100% in all scenarios with all textures. Its possible your specific mesh structure is doing good work to help make it look good, but Im unable to identify exactly what, if so.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...