Colonial CC Update...

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: Colonial CC Update...

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: June 7th, 2020, 6:35 am Dan if you use the Links Extender method to create a .btx from scratch from a .tga there shouldnt be anything that'd be inherently corrupted about the graphics.
Understood. :smile: Was just pointing out that Eric had some of the 2001 trees that were causing errors on his Vista operating system, while at the same time on my system, and the beta testers systems, they did not indicate any problems at all. Same course, same trees. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I agree its interesting (but if its indeed because of 2001 objects even then its most likely only the case with objects that were never extracted and remade)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I have not played other golf games for awhile thanks to issues with Windows 10. I seem to remember that one or two of them showed what your arc trajectory to target was depending on which club was chosen and this was a good aid when shooting over trees. Recently saw a post somewhere here in Links that new designers should be careful not to place high trees that had bounce back characteristics in preferred aiming direction of fairway or green that wish to be after shot. Colonial is unique in that trees often encroach and have to hit over them with lesser club also hook or slice around them to get to preferred landing spot. Even on straight holes the trees on both sides loom ominous. I cannot think of any real courses that are tour stops done in Links with this feature.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

gene_golf wrote: June 8th, 2020, 5:32 amColonial is unique in that trees often encroach and have to hit over them with lesser club also hook or slice around them to get to preferred landing spot. Even on straight holes the trees on both sides loom ominous. I cannot think of any real courses that are tour stops done in Links with this feature.
I agree, that 10th teeshot especially! Check our Harbour Town, I'd say its even more severe with its trees :fear: Makes it very unique I think, mostly in a good way (until you fall victim to it at least :tongue:)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade wrote: June 8th, 2020, 12:45 pm
gene_golf wrote: June 8th, 2020, 5:32 amColonial is unique in that trees often encroach and have to hit over them with lesser club also hook or slice around them to get to preferred landing spot. Even on straight holes the trees on both sides loom ominous. I cannot think of any real courses that are tour stops done in Links with this feature.
I agree, that 10th teeshot especially! Check our Harbour Town, I'd say its even more severe with its trees :fear: Makes it very unique I think, mostly in a good way (until you fall victim to it at least :tongue:)
Just checked out Harbour Town and several holes are strategic where call for shot shaping. #5 to go to left side if can avoid fairway sand trap, might be able to reach green in 2 shots. #8 where left side of fairway is pretty much dead since leaves need for big hook for right handers, whereas middle to far right fairway still can clear left trees towards green. #15 trying to reach green in 2 shots is iffy as sometimes can, other times not when in middle to right side of fairway and definitely not any hope with drive to left side. Harbour Town designed by Dye and Nicklaus has always been known as a shot shaping course that cannot be overpowered by long hitting player. At Colonial hole #10 hitting 3 wood over tree into blind fairway beyond is only choice I have ever seen. Other problematic drives I was thinking of were at holes #2 and #17, but just as on #10 usually enough good landing area exists after taking less club and hitting a fade for a right handed player. Trying to get closer to green by hitting driver on latter 2 holes mentioned could wind up trouble for a foolish player, since playing smart drive leaves only a shortish approach shot anyway.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

This is a good test, I don't think I've ever hit so many fades and draws in a single round. Well done, good-looking course.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Doing the set-up for an upcoming tournament at Colonial, I was really impressed by how much shot-shaping was going to be required to play the course. Something that's missing from a majority of Links courses, and something that'll really make Colonial stand out! Great job reproducing the course - and if we were still giving ratings, this would be a definite "A"!

Pete
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Please bring back the rating system, as there so many new good course here now, thanks.
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Paul44 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:04 pm Please bring back the rating system, as there so many new good course here now, thanks.
Maybe if someone volunteered to run the rating system so Andy didn't have to do it himself? Just a thought... :whistle:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Danny D wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Paul44 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:04 pm Please bring back the rating system, as there so many new good course here now, thanks.
Maybe if someone volunteered to run the rating system so Andy didn't have to do it himself? Just a thought... :whistle:
No chance while I'm in charge I'm afraid. :nono:

The trouble that was caused by the user ratings made the whole process worthless.

In the days of Dial-up internet, courses took so long to download then there was some point but now even the biggest courses can be obtained in a matter of seconds so there is no reason not to try out every release that interests you.

End of discussion!