Objects on course that are not in the Object Library

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sodbuster

Objects on course that are not in the Object Library

Post by sodbuster »

Subject says it all. In particular, I have some grass planted on the course that when highlighted does not show up in the Object Name box and is not listed in the library. I have tried the Update Currently Selected Image button and APCD has crashed each time. I don't know what else to do to get the grass back in the library. Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Attachments
smashing1.gif
smashing1.gif (5.79 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Danny D

Re: Objects on course that are not in the Object Library

Post by Danny D »

sodbuster wrote: March 7th, 2020, 2:07 am Subject says it all. In particular, I have some grass planted on the course that when highlighted does not show up in the Object Name box and is not listed in the library. I have tried the Update Currently Selected Image button and APCD has crashed each time. I don't know what else to do to get the grass back in the library. Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Sounds like your object library is hosed. Is it the default OL, or did you add some other 2D objects to it? Just for the record, it's quite easy to mess up and object library.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

It appears you are correct. :mad:
I played a round after that Update Selected Objects button press and have all sorts of planting anomalies. Pallets where trees were. Trees with the top half lopped off. Damn I was so close to done.
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

To answer your question, I had a lot of added objects to the library.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Welcome to the awesome chaotic world of APCD...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage....... :smile: :smile: :rant: :rant:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I would immediately look into if you have any backup versions of your course from just before the problem occured or any such you could recover in any way. The course file itself only gets corrupted if you save it after the problem occurs. It is possible to save a course containing 2d objects that arent in your library without corrupting them (and I think you are able to move around and change size of them, I havent tried that but I could imagine it probably works) so Im guessing they became corrupted when you tried to change something about their properties or updating them.

Have you recently perhaps started using APCD differently (running with/without administrator perhaps, or having multiple different APCD folders?) or do you think the objects were missing from your library ever since you started working with it this year?

Im not sure if you will ever be able to change properties about the old objects unless you get the exact "Object" folder files and object.lib from the APCD when you first planted them. Its possible it might work if you add the exact same root files into APCD again but APCD may still not identify them as the same and allow such edits, not sure. You can instead delete and replant those you want to change settings for. But perhaps you werent trying to edit existing objects and simply plant more of them. Getting them back into your APCD object library for replanting or additional planting is not much of a problem. There are 2 different methods, the faster and less safe one (no protection against corrupted objects) is by using the in-APCD "Import from course..." feature inside the Object library File menu, but the much safer and more proper method which I use and recommend (using Links Extender) is one Danny details in this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138 You simply extract them from the version of your course that you first started working with this year.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

How well I know that world Sage! :wallbash:

Adelade,
It definitely happened after I hit the Update button after highlighting the grass on the course that was missing in the library. I do NOT look forward to starting the planting all over.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

:/ probably not any consolation but it has happened to many others too. Remember to set properties of new objects to avoid steel bounces and close APCD normally after setting the properties to make sure they save (an APCD crash reverts such changes).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Don't give up on your planting set just yet, try to find and iliminate the currupt objects
To do this Highlight a plant that you know is a good one, it will show up in the planting window
Now highlight a plant that you think might be faulty, if it is the picture in the window will not change
Delete it. I have just spent about an hour removing an item of grass that did not change when it
was highlighted, it was'nt causing any problems but I wanted to be sure. A currupt plant can cause
all sorts of strange things to happen when viewed, like you have they can change shape into other
objects or create large squares of jazzy lines.If you select a faulty object to plant move it back into
the distance it will do all sorts of things, even vanish from the screen. When you say almost done
doe's that mean that the course is fully planted ? if not you could box select the whole lot and delete
I once had a course to look at that would not allow any planting in a particular area. I made a copy
of the course box selected all the plants and deleted them. There was not a single plant in view yet
the info box when checked said that there was still hundreds of plants still on the course.It turned
out that just deleting with the red arrow did not remove everything, I had to use select at the top
of the screen and select All and then delete. This cleared the hidden objects and all was well !!!
Hope you can get it sorted. If you can find a number for it delete it from the course and then the
object libruary. I would love to have a look at the course in question to see what is wrong with it
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sodbuster wrote: March 7th, 2020, 3:28 am It appears you are correct. :mad:
I played a round after that Update Selected Objects button press and have all sorts of planting anomalies. Pallets where trees were. Trees with the top half lopped off. Damn I was so close to done.
Let me ask you a question. Had you just recently added any ADDITIONAL objects to your planting set when this problem occurred?
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added