how to handicap holes

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: how to handicap holes

Post by Adelade »

Derrick, there are plenty people playing Links who dont read these forums, some of them may use handicaps. I dont use them but dont like seeing courses completely without them, just gives the look of a beta course, and theres a chance it ruins the way some rare people enjoy the game. Why not quickly swing some together rather than leave them all at 0? Can always just assign #1 to the longest par 4 on first 9, #3 to the 2nd longest par 4 on first 9 etc, when running out of par 4s continue on the par 5s same way then finally the par 3s, same for last 9 but with even numbers. Not very accurate but quick and painless if thats top priority.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
derricksummers

Re: how to handicap holes

Post by derricksummers »

Hi Adalade
The handicapping system seems to be quite a complex affair so I will carry on doing it the way
I have done in the past, I play the course when it is finished and try to work out what I think is
a good handicap for each hole. I was just curious as to how it would be applied to a Links game
Like you say if its included players have the choice of using it how they think fit.
Later today I am going to have a look at the course you have done, but I am a bit reluctant to
make any comments about it as in the past I have been pasted for what I thought was a constructive
remark. In the old days you did not make a poor remark about any course done by one of the top
designers, they were treated like Gods. At the moment we seem to be down to just a few designers
Where have they all gone :dunno: :sad: :unsure: :notworthy:
Derrick