Getting custom 3D objects into the APCD

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: Getting custom 3D objects into the APCD

Post by Adelade »

I had the same name during each conversion, but swapped in between - WoodTee.TGA + WoodTee.x and then WoodTeeBlack.XYZ + WoodTeeBlack.prv + WoodTeeBlack.MAP . I'll try again later with same name before and after, but Im guessing it is more likely the 8-bit thing. I will look for some way to convert the TGA into 8-bit, I bet there is some converter to find online somewhere, or else I will try out GIMP if that can save them as 8-bit TGA.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: March 25th, 2024, 6:18 am I will look for some way to convert the TGA into 8-bit, I bet there is some converter to find online somewhere, or else I will try out GIMP if that can save them as 8-bit TGA.
Hi Adelade...

I use an old graphics program called "Paint Shop Pro 7" that will save in 8 bit format. I can't find a copy of it right now, although I know I have one on a hard drive somewhere. Pete also uses the program. Perhaps he can find a copy. I would be glad to save some file for you in 8 bit if you want to test something...

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

I have PSP 7 and can get a copy to someone if they need it.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Yes I do, Adelade. I'd be glad to help any time you need it.

Pete
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Back in time, when making 3D objects, I used to save the texture files as 24-bit uncompressed tga's, with PSP7. A 512x512 tga saved as described sized always at 768 kb, a bit more if it has an alpha channel. I did not remember having problems when importing 3D objects with those tga's.
Regards.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Linkster, LinksExtender exports a .maq file. What is to be done with that in order to get to the .xyz format?
linkster

Post by linkster »

That file conversion cannot be done. Using Links Extender to get 3D out of a course file is not possible. I wish it was possible but I have given up on the idea.

You can start with a 3D object in the APCD directory and convert the .xyz and .map files with Links Extender to the .obj and .tga file formats which can then be edited in numerous 3D modelling programs. Then using Milkshape3D you can import the .obj and .tga files and export the .x and tga files that Links Extender needs to make .xyz and .map files.

Most of the 3D in the APCD is not of decent quality. However, there are numerous websites out there that offer free 3D models. There are all sorts of opportunities now possible to get new 3D into the APCD.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

linkster wrote: April 1st, 2024, 1:31 am That file conversion cannot be done. Using Links Extender to get 3D out of a course file is not possible. I wish it was possible but I have given up on the idea.

You can start with a 3D object in the APCD directory and convert the .xyz and .map files with Links Extender to the .obj and .tga file formats which can then be edited in numerous 3D modelling programs. Then using Milkshape3D you can import the .obj and .tga files and export the .x and tga files that Links Extender needs to make .xyz and .map files.

Most of the 3D in the APCD is not of decent quality. However, there are numerous websites out there that offer free 3D models. There are all sorts of opportunities now possible to get new 3D into the APCD.
I worked toward understanding it and have downloaded and tested multiple modeling programs, but where I get stuck is trying to figure out how to convert and import them into the planting set. I finally gave up and concluded (wrongly I'm sure) that I needed an expensive modeling program which I couldn't afford. I've always wanted to create a fleet of cars to plant in clubhouse parking lots. I even download some simplistic car models from sites online, but they are all in a format that I couldn't figure out how to convert to APCD. :surrender:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Finally got around to trying to get it to work again (to import the 3D tee marker object except with my own edited TGA), but it just wont work.

For all the below, I tried running APCD both with and without admin.
-Tried using same exact name besides the extension throughout - no change.
-Tried converting to 8bit TGA with an online converter - no change.
-Tried saving the TGA without compression with GIMP version 2.10.36 (havent been able to find where to assign bit depth of the TGA export, but judging by the filesize it seems like it comes out as 24bit) - had minor success, at first APCD would freeze and eventually crash after clicking Ok in the import object window, but sometimes the object was still there in the object list upon re-opening APCD, however APCD crashes immediately when trying to plant the object. One time I tried with a different APCD (one that hadnt had its library merged and therefore lacks the 2001 APCD 3D objects), and then the import completed without freeze or crash, but still crashes immediately when trying to plant the object, even if the Top perspective is the only one being open.

Not sure what else to try... unless you are using the APCD mod (sometimes called the clone tool) linkster? I havent tried that.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Adelade.

Would you like me to give it a try with PSP7? If so, send me a PM with the files.
Regards.