People On Bridge

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Volorgas

People On Bridge

Post by Volorgas »

How can I plant people on a bridge? When I attempted to try this I planted the people on the bridge in the top view of APCD, then I moved each person up in the Z direction to be on the bridge. But in the game, the people are standing on the ground/water plane per the included image. What am i doing wrong here? Thanks.
Attachments
BridgePeople.jpg
BridgePeople.jpg (506.36 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Volorgas

Re: People On Bridge

Post by Volorgas »

Here is what it looks like in APCD.
Attachments
BridgeAPCD.jpg
BridgeAPCD.jpg (567.7 KiB) Viewed 507 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

On the "Old Head Golf Links" course, turn crowds to at least moderate. On the upper part of the lighthouse, I placed people there. You can see it in Links (practice mode). I didn't try to raise them up, I actually placed them there. Can you click on the part of the bridge they will be standing on?

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Volorgas wrote: March 12th, 2024, 12:55 am Here is what it looks like in APCD.
Going to make a wild guess here, but it's possible that you are using a 3D planted object for the bridge and perhaps the APCD will not accept people standing on top of it. Try covering the top of the bridge with a texture stretched across it, and planting the people on top of the texture, and not the actual 3D texture, and then see if the people will stay on top of the texture. Like I said, it's just a just a guess that might be worth trying.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 12th, 2024, 1:46 am On the "Old Head Golf Links" course, turn crowds to at least moderate. On the upper part of the lighthouse, I placed people there. You can see it in Links (practice mode). I didn't try to raise them up, I actually placed them there. Can you click on the part of the bridge they will be standing on?

Pete
I'm guessing your lighthouse was man-made out of texture Pete, and not an actual 3D object from the planting set. Maybe the APCD won't let you plant people on 3D objects from the object library. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Volorgas

Post by Volorgas »

pmgolf wrote: March 12th, 2024, 1:46 am On the "Old Head Golf Links" course, turn crowds to at least moderate. On the upper part of the lighthouse, I placed people there. You can see it in Links (practice mode). I didn't try to raise them up, I actually placed them there. Can you click on the part of the bridge they will be standing on?

Pete
I don't believe I can click on the bridge, other than to move, scale or rotate it.
Volorgas

Post by Volorgas »

Danny D wrote: March 12th, 2024, 1:56 am
Going to make a wild guess here, but it's possible that you are using a 3D planted object for the bridge and perhaps the APCD will not accept people standing on top of it. Try covering the top of the bridge with a texture stretched across it, and planting the people on top of the texture, and not the actual 3D texture, and then see if the people will stay on top of the texture. Like I said, it's just a just a guess that might be worth trying.

Good luck,

Dan
Yes, I did use a 3D bridge from the APCD library. Not sure how to stretch a texture across the surface of the bridge since it is in mid-air. Not even sure how you might place terrain suspended above other terrain, to accomplish this feat? Thoughts?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Volorgas wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:17 am
Danny D wrote: March 12th, 2024, 1:56 am

Good luck,

Dan
Yes, I did use a 3D bridge from the APCD library. Not sure how to stretch a texture across the surface of the bridge since it is in mid-air. Not even sure how you might place terrain suspended above other terrain, to accomplish this feat? Thoughts?
Learn how to "create a single face" using the FACE tool.. A single face will be in the shape of a triangle. If you are a course designer, it's something you need to learn. It's not difficult. Once you create a single triangular face, apply a texture to the top of it that looks like, or matches the bridge. Next split one edge of the triangle, and using the verts, shape it into a ob-long rectangle the same size as the bridge walkway surface. Then stretch it across the walkway and lower it down until its level with the top of the walkway. Once the new face is in place where you want it, try planting people on top of it. The new face you created doesn't need to be attached to anything. It can be placed anywhere and any angle or height. Creating faces is how we build our own 3D structures.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Danny D wrote: March 12th, 2024, 1:56 am Try covering the top of the bridge with a texture stretched across it, and planting the people on top of the texture

Good luck,

Dan
Agreed
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Hmm I didnt need to do that though when I planted people on 3D object galleries, I just raised them up on the Z axis and then they stayed there even though there were no terrain faces. Possibly the tournament objects are different than the bridges, or maybe it has to do with something else. Creating the faces will work, just keep in mind thy terrain faces will show up on the top cam (unlike the 3D objects) so it could potentially look odd unless you do it thoroughly. You could otherwise try and see if it makes a difference if you run APCD as admin or not while planting the crowds.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...