AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003 (RESOLVED!)

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Midcon113

AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003 (RESOLVED!)

Post by Midcon113 »

Hi All,

I've recently reinstalled L2003 and the game runs fine. I've installed 1.07 and the nVidia patch and have all the high resolutions available to me. I'm down to one issue and I can't seem to resolve it (and I've tried the Voodoo fix as well which doesn't appear to do anything?)

The aiming marker either disappears or gets corrupted (I see part of the stick) depending on where I move it, and never appears on the top-down "minimap" camera. I've changed from Elite to Champ level. I've set the executable parameters to Override the high DPI scaling and let the application control it. I'm running Windows 11 Pro (fully patched and up to date) with an AMD 7 5800x3d processor (no integrated graphics chip if it makes a difference.)

I would love to figure out a way to get this back to working like it did in 2003 :). This is my golf game. Yeah there are a lot of new ones that look better, etc., but nothing captured the way golf feels to me in real life like Links 2003 did. Please let me know if anyone's figured out how to get this thing to work completely - I'd be grateful! Thank you!

Mark
Last edited by Midcon113 on February 23rd, 2024, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Re: AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003

Post by pmgolf »

Do you have a Laptop or a Desktop? A guy named John_iv posted something that might help in another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=20649#p20649

I also have a AMD Desktop setup:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ---------------- (a bit less power - it's for running Links)
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card
Windows 10 Pro

I put an entry into the VideoCard.txt file:
0x1C82 = "GeForce 1050 Ti"

...at the end of the section headed by:
Vendor = 0x10b4 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x12d2 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x10de "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x1022 "nVidia"

(note: instructions are in the file - file is in /Links 2003/ folder)

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Has anyone gotten the dgV wrapper to work with a pure AMD GPU setup?

Midcon113, Did you get it to say "3D acceleration by [name of the wrapper]" at the bottom when launching the game? Im not actually sure whether the wrapper works with AMD GPUs, Ive never had an AMD GPU myself and Im not sure if I can remember any specific instance of someone saying they used the wrapper with one, but that might just be because I've never thought about it before. Either way, the problem you mention with the aim marker sounds exactly like one of the main issues that the wrapper usually DOES fix, but maybe thats just with Intel cards. Still, if nothing else works, I recommend doublechecking that you set the wrapper up correctly.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

Adelade wrote: February 21st, 2024, 8:08 pm Has anyone gotten the dgV wrapper to work with a pure AMD GPU setup?

Midcon113, Did you get it to say "3D acceleration by [name of the wrapper]" at the bottom when launching the game?
Hi Adelade - yes I did and it referenced my AMD card. I looked for that specifically since the wrapper instructions said you'd know it was working right if you saw the wrapper as the 3D accelerator. Mine still just says 7900 XTX. So...maybe it doesn't work (and I'm not shocked - the game is over 20 years old and tech isn't quite what it used to be LOL!)

Cheers! :cheers1:
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

pmgolf wrote: February 21st, 2024, 12:59 pm Do you have a Laptop or a Desktop?
Hi Pete,

Homebuilt desktop - AMD processor (Ryzen 7 5800x3d - the perfect CPU for Microsoft Flight Simulator, my main jam :laugh:) and ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon 7900 XTX video card (again...MSFS...LOL)

So I see the VideoCard.txt file (what a nostalgia hit seeing all those old graphic card manufacturer names!) but of course ASUS and Radeon and AMD aren't going to be in there. Can that be used to "trick" Links into thinking I have a different card I wonder?

I followed John_vi's instruction in a different thread and got everything working except for one thing: the aiming stick still isn't showing on the overhead cam. Am I just not remembering correctly that this was possible? I distinctly remember using it to help aim shots that need a draw or fade, but maybe that option went away in 2k3? 20 years is a long time... LOL

Thanks!

Mark
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Midcon113,
I have a AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics, 2.10 GHz all-in-one computer and on the camera top view I see the aiming marker without a problem.
Marker.jpg
Marker.jpg (410.74 KiB) Viewed 422 times
I am not computer savvy, but if you would like any other information, please let me know.

Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Midcon113 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:20 am Hi Pete,

Homebuilt desktop - AMD processor (Ryzen 7 5800x3d - the perfect CPU for Microsoft Flight Simulator, my main jam :laugh:) and ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon 7900 XTX video card (again...MSFS...LOL)

So I see the VideoCard.txt file (what a nostalgia hit seeing all those old graphic card manufacturer names!) but of course ASUS and Radeon and AMD aren't going to be in there. Can that be used to "trick" Links into thinking I have a different card I wonder?

Thanks! Mark
(This is oversimplified) I had forgotten how I got the info you need, but I found it. And Radeon is there! Now... [don't use my quote marks!]:
...in the Windows "Search" box:
Type "cmd" to get to command prompt window, hit enter,
Type "dxdiag", hit enter, you get the DirectX Diagnostic Tool Window (let's call it DDTW),
In the DDTW, click the "Save All Information" button and save the resulting file in a folder you can find later,
Find the DXDIAG.TXT file you just saved and open it.
I'll use my info to show you where you can find your info.
My info as it is shown in the DXDIAG.txt file:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
... (further down in this Display Devices section of the DXDIAG.txt printout)

Vendor ID: "0x10DE" --------- in the videocard.txt file: (Vendor = "0x10de "nVidia"") mine has a Vendor line in the Links file
- your's won't [Go to the VideoCard.TXT printout and find the section for your Manufacturer (mine: "NVIDIA") (yours: probably "ATI")]

Device ID: "0x1C82" --------- videocard.txt: use the hex (? the "0x...") number to determine
where to put it in the (yours: "ATI") section. Mine: "0x1C82 = "GeForce 1050 Ti"" went at the end of the section.

Questions?

Pete
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Ian Wells wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 7:41 am Midcon113,
I have a AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics, 2.10 GHz all-in-one computer and on the camera top view I see the aiming marker without a problem.
Marker.jpg

I am not computer savvy, but if you would like any other information, please let me know.

Ian
There is an "All in Wonder" entry in the VideoCard.txt file (in the "ATI" section). Maybe the code in your DXDIAG.txt file is there, too.

Pete
chad

Post by chad »

When I installed my new Nvidia graphics card, I went into Links Options/System Info and grabbed the Vendor and Device IDs from there. Then I updated the Videocard.txt file manually. Once I did that, my in game resolution options was corrected and the game anomilies like the one described in this thread was resolved.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Midcon113 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:20 amI followed John_vi's instruction in a different thread and got everything working except for one thing: the aiming stick still isn't showing on the overhead cam. Am I just not remembering correctly that this was possible?
Which thread or what advise from john was it that made it work?

If you have your player skill level set to Elite you are not allowed to aim in the top cam, nor view the aim marker within it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...