Pga West stadium course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
leftybob

Pga West stadium course

Post by leftybob »

Just wondering if anyone is thinking of doing or redoing PGA West stadium course at la Quinta? A version of it already exists in links 2003 course directory as pga West la Quinta.... Done in 2000 .
While the holes, layout, distances,
(maybe even the greens?)
seem quite realistic, the mountain Panorama and surroundings, certainly are not .... To me...Unlike pga West Palmer, which looks much more like the Coachella Valley, where these courses are.
So wondering if anyone of the apcd course designers would be willing to alter, redo or start again to make this course more realistic?
pmgolf

Re: Pga West stadium course

Post by pmgolf »

Assuming that you're a newbie, no one has redone the course since 2000, even though they've had 23 years to do it, so it's probably not marked urgent on somebody's to-do list. But it only takes 500 or so hours to do a course. You could pay someone to do it. How bad do you want it?

You could do it yourself - the software that creates the course (the APCD) is free, and you could learn how to use the APCD in 500 hours or so. So, 1000 hours of your time. Yes, that's a pretty heavy load, assuming you could learn how to use the APCD.

With so little experience, why don't you take some time and play a few courses. We've got a 2023 version of Augusta National that'll blow your mind if you've ever been to the Masters. It is incredibly accurate. Or play the courses that Mike Jones created. He's one of our best designers and he used to sell them a few years ago, but now they're free. On the page that lists the courses, you can SEARCH for courses "by Designer", and it will list his. Also search for courses by Robert Miller. Whistling Straits, Pinehurst 2, Pine Valley, Bethpage Black, and Shinnecock Hills are amazing.

There are roughly 200+ courses that are terrific, and another 200 or so that are really good. They're the cream of the crop.

The Links game itself. Various iterations were created starting around 1990. Major changes happened starting around 2000, with final changes happening around 2006 and finishing in 2007. That's when the game could be played in wide-screen at 1920 x 1080. The newest courses look best in the 1.07 version of Links. I've been playing it for 33+ years, and playing real golf for 50 years. So give it a try.

Pete
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

leftybob,

I hear ya on this one man. The 3 American Express courses are my greatest wish list for new courses. I would gladly pay for all 3 of them. What's the price?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I'm thinking $1,000, which would be around $2 per hour, if you could find somebody to take it on. I wouldn't want to do it - I'd rather do a course that I want to do.

Pete
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Pete

If I'm paying $1000 I'm picking the designer, they MUST use DEMS/LIDAR and I want all 3 of them done new from scratch.

Keep in mind I've got over 5000 hours in over the last 2 years trying to give back to this community that I'm so grateful for and that has made this game more enjoyable and kept it enjoyable for me.

I've never even considered charging anyone for my time and have tried to graciously share my time, knowledge and creations with this community in an effort to give back. That includes about a dozen custom anis as requested.

This is no offense to anyone but those 3 courses should be in Links. They are fantastic layouts. I wish I could do courses and maybe after I'm done with my tour replay I'll try to tackle it. I just know if I'm a designer the first thing I'm doing is making sure every PGA Tour course is accounted for. After they are all out there then I'll look for others to do. I'd probably start tackling LIV courses or DP World Tour or Korn Ferry Tour courses next. That's just my .02 if I were a course designer, but as of now I'm not.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

You're a different kind of person, JC. My kind of person. You want something done, you dig into it and do it yourself. I've been amazed by your work with the animations! And I know you know that no one does custom-ordered course development - it's all voluntary.

LeftyBob wasn't happy with some year 2000 course he played, and he wanted to get someone to re-do it. He seemed like such a newbie that I tried to get the message across to him that what he was asking for was a pretty major task - not enough reason to get someone to give up 6 months of their free time to re-do a course for him. That it isn't "playtime" for the designer - it's work. There is no "staff" of designers - it's strictly voluntary. And if he really was as new to Links as he appeared to be, I pointed out that there are a LOT of great courses that are available, suggesting some of the best ones and hoping he would take the hint to play them.

Countless people come to the forum begging for courses! Most of them, though, have played the game for a year or two. It' just seemed a bit early to start complaining with the first post.

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
But it only takes 500 or so hours to do a course.
I think those are Sagehours. :smile:
Although I am getting faster at completing a course, it takes me closer to 800+ hours.
I wouldn't want to do it - I'd rather do a course that I want to do
I agree with you. Although I have always been open to building courses suggested by other members I do have to like the look of the course. Victoria National was suggested to me by you and Adelade independently and it was enjoyable to build and is one of my favourite courses to play.
Life is too short to build courses in APCD that I don't enjoy.
I've been amazed by your work with the animations!
I agree 100%. :tiphat:

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I think it is completely fine to bring up a course and in this polite manner wonder if anyone would be willing to make it :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I'll take on the course if someone else will volunteer to plant it and do the 3D work. I'm always up for a challenge........ :fear:
Is there a detailed lidar dem out there?

Sage.... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Sage,

There are 3 courses. La Quinta exists, but to leftybobs point, it needs an overhaul. The Stadium Course is the best course of the 3 and the Jack Nicklaus course is a blast to play on 2K23. I play all 3 of these all the time on 2K23 because they don't exist on Links and I love the layouts. I would be willing to help with them, but would have to learn some stuff. You could employ me to team Sage and coach me up.

Like the great Forest Gump once said, "I might not be a smart man, but I know what Technology is." I married a Jenny too. You know how much fun I have with that saying?