Muirfield

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Weeler

Muirfield

Post by Weeler »

I haven't seen on COURSE CORNER where this topic has been brought up lately. But I was wondering what's happening with the beta version of Steve Chalha's, Muirfield, that was waiting for someone to complete a 3D clubhouse for the course , so that it could be released as a "final". I'm not sure who volunteered to build the clubhouse.....but is this all still in process, or has it stalled ? I'm just curious, because I like the course, and it is definitely NOT quite complete without that interesting and classic looking building.

Any news ? Weeler
pmgolf

Re: Muirfield

Post by pmgolf »

Maybe we can stir something up, Wheeler. The course was uploaded Sept 27th of 2020, and here it is Dec 4th of 2023 - more than 3 years later. Could be that it has been forgotten. So it needs to have the pins set up, a panorama, and some 3D work, and Animal72 was possibly going to do the 3D work. Does anyone here know Animal72 or how to contact him about this? Could you do it, please?

And the fellow that did the APCD work on the course - Steve Chahla. Does anyone know him or know how to contact him? Could you contact him, please, and ask him if this course creation is a dead issue or just delayed. I would be glad to do the pins if need be, so that would be taken care of.

We need someone to take a few minutes and send out some notices to these guys! Your help is needed, please! And Links Corner has always been the place to go when you need help!

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Curious timing, I actually sent an email asking Sean Landry about Muirfield just a couple hours before you posted this Weeler. I had always been planning on asking about it same time as letting him know about Sheshan being finished. Not sure if he still uses that email or not, but give him a while to have a chance to see it. Ive been looking forward to this course a lot ever since Chahla showed the first screenshots of it, the beta was excellent except for a few easily solved technical issues. I dont know the exact situation with the course at present, but it is clear from the old thread that they have a much more recent version than the 2020 beta. Here is the thread where the course was last publicly discussed: viewtopic.php?p=17333#p17333
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Well, Pete, I just sent a PM to both Steve and Animal about getting an update as you asked, so I guess we'll just see what happens. They may PM me back....OR just post something here. I'm just glad that there are others in the Links community that would love to see this course completed and released. Hey, it's a historic and famous Scottish course, and it belongs in the Links family.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

No designer does 3D where a better quality 2D will suffice, right? To me, it looks like the buildings are positioned where some good 2Ds might actually work better. It works where the buildings are generally only viewable from a single direction and where there is a little distance between play and the object. To me, that looks to be the case with Muirfield. I might be wrong, but would need to see the crz file.

The other problem with doing 3D here is that I feel the designer would have the do all the neighbouring buildings around the clubhouse in 3D too - you couldn't get away with doing the main buildings and not the others, because they are a "set".

Will save someone a whole heap of work if they didn't have to build it, because there is alot of work to be done if this is the path they choose.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Maybe it's just me, but unless the building is something special or historical, I find 2D to be completely acceptable. And with Muirfield, the course Jack Nicklaus has always said was his favorite, I wouldn't want to delay the course unnecessarily. The preview version we have - if I remember right - only has 2 pins per hole, and they're pretty random. But it is beautiful! I hope we can find everyone and get this thing finished before too much longer!

Pete