APCD on Windows 11

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
braden1308

APCD on Windows 11

Post by braden1308 »

I am at the point where my old laptop is getting ready to pass on. I will be buying a new one and wanted to see if anyone has been using the APCD with Win 11, and how it is working.

Thanks,
Glenn
Stephen Sullivan

Re: APCD on Windows 11

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I've not done any designing for quite a while, but as far as I can tell, APCD opens and works fine in Windows 11. I always had several copies of APCD saved in different folders. I was able to open it from the the exe in one of the folders that I'd saved on my external drive.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Good to know Stephen, thank you
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I have only made a rare few APCD tasks on Win 11, not more than 10 hours total, I dont remember exactly which tasks it was, but those worked like normally. I was not using the APCD mod.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Also good to know, sounds like there will be some experimenting going on in the near future
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Glenn,

I have a Lenovo All-in-one that I use for reference while I build a course and then for playing the course while testing. I have had no problems with Windows 11. This is the spec:
Lenovo all in one.jpg
Lenovo all in one.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

(The only concern is that the golfer shadow is opaque. Which is no problem for me)

Lenovo all in one Windows 11.jpg
Lenovo all in one Windows 11.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

I use a Lenovo laptop to build the courses but that is running Windows 10. (This has translucent golfer shadow.)This is the spec:
Lenovo Laptop.jpg
Lenovo Laptop.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
The negative feelings expressed on the forum for Windows 10, 11 and Microsoft in general, Have persuaded me not to update the laptop to Windows 11. As I am not computer savvy I normally leave well alone. If it ain't broke .....

If there is any other information required let me know?

Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Ian, I have been running Dell computer's, both desktops and laptops for quite a long time. I progress through the different Windows upgrade as they come along, I usually try to hold out as long as possible before I upgrade though. My laptop is starting to have startup problems and is way past it's time. It's an old Inspiron 3558 with a Core i3-5015 processor and 6GB of Ram. I also have an old desktop that I do not have connected to the internet running XP, I work on that occasionally but the save time is ridiculously slow . My new laptop will be coming on Wednesday, so I will transfer all of my files then and get back to work.

Glenn :cheers1:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

No problems, running the mod, no problems :cheers1:
linkster

Post by linkster »

Great news Glenn!

I am always worried about when the day will come that Links and the APCD are broken by software or hardware changes. At least this news will keep me inspired to keep going.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

linkster wrote: November 18th, 2023, 6:52 pm Great news Glenn!

I am always worried about when the day will come that Links and the APCD are broken by software or hardware changes. At least this news will keep me inspired to keep going.
I am glad to hear that! I was actually surprised at how easy the transition was, and it works with the mod so all's good on my end. I am actually working on two of the DEM's you gave me. One is somewhat in limbo while I wait for the actual course to finish it's restoration, the other will be a very much more accurate release of a previous beta.