APCD on Windows 11

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Duck Hook

Re: APCD on Windows 11

Post by Duck Hook »

Good news Glenn. My new win11 machine should be here this week so hopefully I have a similar run to you.

On the bright side the cause of my blue screen crashes and failure to start scenarios on my old win 7 pc seems to have been caused by an issue with my antivirus software. Whether it was a problem with an update or a patch, I don't know. I removed it and did a fresh install and everything is working fine. Great news as I can take it offline and continue to use it for links and the APCD if I have no luck with the new machine. :kicking:

:cheers1:
T
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Duck Hook wrote: November 18th, 2023, 10:50 pm Good news Glenn. My new win11 machine should be here this week so hopefully I have a similar run to you.

On the bright side the cause of my blue screen crashes and failure to start scenarios on my old win 7 pc seems to have been caused by an issue with my antivirus software. Whether it was a problem with an update or a patch, I don't know. I removed it and did a fresh install and everything is working fine. Great news as I can take it offline and continue to use it for links and the APCD if I have no luck with the new machine. :kicking:

T
Luck my friend :cheers1:
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Well, that was ridiculously easy. Copied my entire Links and APCD folders and moved them over to the new win 11 machine and they BOTH run fine.
A few hairy moments where Links seemed to hang for a while when starting the first new game and practice round and had to change a few settings but after that it ran smooth as. Totally surprised as they are both Alienware PC's and after all the hassle I went through to get it to run on the Win 7 machine this is too good to believe.

I should be happy but the ease of all this has made me nervous as hell.... :scared: :pcwhack: :laugh:

T
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I'm having problems with Links hanging. Been too busy with work and now the holidays to play with it right now though. As long as the APCD works I can still test courses on my old laptop, that is until it quits running
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Checked again this morning and no problems at all.
The only hangs I got was the first time I clicked on a new game and the first time I clicked on a practice round. Both times I thought Links had froze but continued after about 10 - 15 seconds. No hangs at all now.
I wish I could offer some help but the ease of installation hasn't thrown me any problems to solve... :dunno:
As you say though as long as the APCD works is the priority at the moment. :thumbup:

T
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I have tried everything so far except copying my folders from my old laptop :wallbash: I should have tried that. Away for the weekend but will try that Monday, Thanks Todd, I would forget my head if it.........where the heck did I put that :cheers1:
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I should add I did not know where to put the LInks programme data folder that contains my existing players and player jpegs so I had to create new players from scratch. I can navigate to the player jpegs but have no idea if it's even possible to transfer existing player files. I am still working out where everything is in win11 ???

Best of luck mate

T

EDIT.... found where the data files go, same place as win7.... :whistle: :laugh:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thank you! I'll let you know early next week if I was successful
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Failure to launch! I transferred my files, did everything including disconnecting USB ports and Links gets to a page like it is going to open and either freezes or crashes. I'll keep trying when time permits
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Try compatibility mode for Win 7 if not tried already. And run as Admin.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...