Bayonet & Black Horse Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Re: Bayonet & Black Horse Golf Course

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks Danny,
Looks like you have a very nice monitor in use.

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Everyone,
Take 'em for a spin......................Lemme know your thoughts and issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z6spss7m ... fo48u&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3ziso6ib ... neboz&dl=0

Sage........ :cheers1:
linkster

Post by linkster »

The courses look great Sage! I'm still amazed at how fast you can paint a terrain with the course textures! :thumbup:

I agree with Ian, seam blends are what cause the save times to be so long. It doesn't take many to cause a 5 min wait at saving. With the courses I am working on now, my plan is to get the seam blend areas ready and textured but wait until planted is finished before mapping the seam blends. The high number of verts does not impact save times, only the BSP tree calculation the APCD does when switching to planting after the terrain has been altered (or at V&S after terrain edits). Like many added APCD 1.5 features, seam blending seems to be poorly implemented within the program. It is almost as if the APCD has to recalculate everything for the path mappings when saving.

Sage, something I have noticed with your courses for a long time is the geometry for the seam blends. I can only get simple "cart path" geometry for seam blends to map properly. I have tried mapping a seam blend to areas with internal verts and I ended up with a corrupted course file. If it was me I couldn't get the geometry pictured below to even path map, and yet your courses always contain seam blends with this sort of geometry. My assumption is that the seam blends with "non standard" geometry are causing the extra long save times. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SeamBlend.png
SeamBlend.png (3.67 MiB) Viewed 3619 times

Danny D - Sage wanted more clarity of the bunker detail to get all those edges done properly so I tried breaking the plot into 4 quadrants and provided a 4096x4096 texture for each. It is more work but looks like it is well worth it. I started doing some of my plots with multiple textures and for courses with jagged bunker edges it helps a lot! Only issue I have noticed is that APCD can only handle 1 4096 texture active on the terrain. I think some of my crashes were attributed to having a couple 4096 textures on the terrain.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

linkster wrote: November 18th, 2023, 6:39 pmSage, something I have noticed with your courses for a long time is the geometry for the seam blends. I can only get simple "cart path" geometry for seam blends to map properly. I have tried mapping a seam blend to areas with internal verts and I ended up with a corrupted course file. If it was me I couldn't get the geometry pictured below to even path map, and yet your courses always contain seam blends with this sort of geometry. My assumption is that the seam blends with "non standard" geometry are causing the extra long save times. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Dan made a really good post on this some years back which I highly recommend: viewtopic.php?p=1279#p1279
I cant say whether that will straighten out the issues you speak of or not, perhaps it is no news to you, but understanding that basic concept really helped me out several times.

When making a full-loop seamblend (without ends), it might matter where you click when selecting the faces of the area - try to find a spot where the edges are aligned as simplistic and squared-up as possible.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
linkster

Post by linkster »

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing that topic Adelade. I did not realize that path mapping could be pushed to that extent over the "middle geometry". I'll have to retry what I attempted to do a while back.

:cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

It's just a simple continuous extrusion seam blend.
blend-extrude.JPG
blend-extrude.JPG (556.11 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
blend-extrude-1.JPG
blend-extrude-1.JPG (406.13 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Sage...... :cheers1:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Although showing in course files the courses are not showing in game play
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Pete wrote: November 20th, 2023, 2:16 am Although showing in course files the courses are not showing in game play
They had not yet been given names, so you will find them in the course list within Links under "Untitled"
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Much thanks :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I've got both courses on one plot waiting to be planted and then I can make them into 2 separate courses.
Who's got a green thumb?

Sage....... :cheers1: