Crooked Stick Final

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Crooked Stick Final

Post by Adelade »

Just played my first full round on this course... I didnt have too high expectations because I had heard that some people find this layout a bit unexciting or something along those lines. I guess that probably has to do with the course being on relatively flat ground, but that didnt bother me. I was actually a little blown away by how much I liked this course, the par 3 holes especially were such a delight IMO, and many of the longer holes have this almost rare characteristic of being both generous and tricky at the same time, the way they bend around the many water features or rough or bunkers... I dont know what the story is behind the course's name, but I think it fits the layout absolutely perfectly. It makes me suspect that the "crookedness" was an envisioned keyword in the course design from the very beginning...

Also want to echo Duck Hooks comments about the colours coming together so well to make for a really cozy, enjoyable (and realistic) aesthetic, they really add a lot of enjoyment to the experience for me. All in all and overall a really tight package of a well-made APCD creation. Big thank you Ian for bringing this one to us, Im so happy that I was able to experience this course, and I'll certainly be returning to it for more in the future.

P.S. Also played a full round on Mountaintop last week for the first time since it became a final (yes it really took me that long, I've been really behind with playing new courses this year, but Im starting to catch up). I enjoyed that one too, just not as much as Crooked Stick. Lot of fun tee shots with the grandiose height differences, but like I mentioned during testing, I found the par 3s there to be a bit disappointing (obviously not your fault).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
I am pleased that you enjoyed playing Crooked Stick. (It is true that it wasn't my favourite course to build, but by the end I was extremely pleased at how it looked and how it played.)

As for the name, according to the club website, https://www.crookedstick.org/history
The Name

In June 1964 the members were called upon to vote on a name for the club. “The Golf Club of Indianapolis” looked like the winner. But the story goes that as Pete Dye and Bill Wick, one of the original Directors, were walking over the uncompleted back nine, Pete picked up a gnarled stick and swung it at some stones. The likely beginning of the game was the inspiration for the name “Crooked Stick Golf Club,” which was ratified by the members on April 8, 1965.
Thank you. :tiphat:
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I'm late in getting around to playing this, but I played my first round there tonight. Really enjoyed it. Everything looked great! Thank you, Ian!

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I'm pleased you enjoyed it Pete.

Thank you. :tiphat:
Ian