SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dorse72

Re: SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Post by dorse72 »

Mike I remember you starting this yrs ago w/help from me - I guess you couldnt solve the riddle that is APCD either? :laugh: :rofl:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I was hoing to get a glimse of the Cascades, given the low level of the club but it's still quite a way to the border and the air quality, even the lower mainland doesn''t Itself too long, distant pictures right now. Courses on Vancouver island are a different thing because it's so close to Washington.
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Hey Dorse how goes life, I managed to create a Beta and just left it open for anyone to do as they wished with it

Have a couple of other designs on the board but life keeps getting in the way, maybe this winter I'll get back at them
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

If you don't mind my asking, is there something grossly "wrong" with Mike Trendocher's version already created for Links ( 2174 ), that couldn't be "reworked" by another designer. Are the "bones" of it not quite right, or something ? Lez did some HD updates on other previous course designs, and they turned out great. I played a full round on this one, and it seems pretty decent to me, and in fact, Mike said that anyone who wanted to make adjustments, or changes has free reign to do so, since it's unlocked.

I even played around with some texture changes, and planting deletions / additions as well as adding a pano just to see how it would turn out. I have NO experience with scaling and verts and actual layout changes and more complex stuff.....pretty much just cosmetics ( including seam blends , which still can be troublesome ). At any rate.....I'm thinking that a designer could make use of this course, instead of starting from scratch. ( or am I mistaken on that premise ? ).

Ron
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I looked the course over, and everything seems to be done except the greens. It looks like they are shaped like a saucer - high on the edges and low in the center. Like a sink but not as drastic.

Pete
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

PM.....did you use a "grid" on the greens to notice that ?? Just curious. I never use one, myself, just the putting guide. When I played I just used the "random pin" placement generator, and didn't notice that "bowl" effect initially. But, now that you mentioned it, I can kind of see it on on several holes. I guess that's what the designer meant by it not being fully completed or whatever. Personally, I still think it can be upgradable to an HD level
course.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I looked at the course with the APCD. I was having trouble finding usable pin positions.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Weeler wrote: September 12th, 2023, 5:27 pm If you don't mind my asking, is there something grossly "wrong" with Mike Trendocher's version already created for Links ( 2174 ), that couldn't be "reworked" by another designer. Are the "bones" of it not quite right, or something ? Lez did some HD updates on other previous course designs, and they turned out great. I played a full round on this one, and it seems pretty decent to me, and in fact, Mike said that anyone who wanted to make adjustments, or changes has free reign to do so, since it's unlocked.

I even played around with some texture changes, and planting deletions / additions as well as adding a pano just to see how it would turn out. I have NO experience with scaling and verts and actual layout changes and more complex stuff.....pretty much just cosmetics ( including seam blends , which still can be troublesome ). At any rate.....I'm thinking that a designer could make use of this course, instead of starting from scratch. ( or am I mistaken on that premise ? ).

Ron
Weeler, I personally think you're right about everything in your post quoted above.

Except for one thing.

It seems as though you dont count yourself as a designer.

Why not? You dont think you're worthy? Look at you, you're using APCD to make edits to a course (which expressively allows edits) and producing results you are more happy with. Even if you happen to not think highly of your results, isnt there still a pretty good chance that at least one other person would enjoy your edits too? Now, I have no clue if anyone else is seriously considering working on this course (whether as an update or completely new version), but unless I have missed something, I dont think anyone has announced so in public at least. This course has been waiting as a beta for almost 10 years without anything being made. There is a good chance everyone would just be happy to see your edit. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting APCD work of lower quality than that of APCD veterans for that matter. Most of us here - I would like to think everyone - would love to see a new designer name upload anything. And your work being posted could also potentially make it easier or more likely for someone else to improve the course further after that.

I understand if you yourself hope that another designer takes on the task, but if no one does, I hope you will consider sharing yours :smile: Good job on maneuvering APCD, even if it happens to be just a little. (Seeing as you have delved into seamblending, I wouldnt say thats only a little)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

For what it's worth I think it would be cool if someone took this course and upgraded it
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I dont really have time, I want to finish Olympic this winter, and wrap up Harding Park soon, then back to some real world work for awhile. Can you post pics? how much work does the course need? I might chip-in if someone else wanted to help also. Hell, Sage could knock it out in a week! :tongue: