APCD Hole Path

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
nicodaft

APCD Hole Path

Post by nicodaft »

Hi all,

I've wanted to ask this question for a long time. It concerns the "hole path".

Is it true when I say that the A.I will never go beyond the red line like this -->Image

is the red line an impassable limit for the A.I.?

In other words, if this is the case, big hooks and huge slices cannot be a possibility for the A.I contrary to reality.

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I didn't understand the role(s) of this red line and I apologize for that.

What would give, statistically, the fact of enlarging this red zone -->

Wouldn't that give more reality to the A.I's starting stats and to the game?

Nico
Last edited by nicodaft on May 11th, 2023, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Re: APCD Hole Path

Post by pmgolf »

I can't see those images. Can anyone else? Is it a browser issue? Thanks!

Pete
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

pmgolf wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:15 pm I can't see those images. Can anyone else? Is it a browser issue? Thanks!

Pete
Hi, I'm trying to edit the post. Thanks trying help me.

Nico
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

nicodaft wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:33 pm
pmgolf wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:15 pm I can't see those images. Can anyone else? Is it a browser issue? Thanks!

Pete
Hi, I'm trying to edit the post. Thanks trying help me.

Nico

Done! Hope it works now.

Nico.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

As far as Im aware, the red line ("Hole Boundary Shape") has nothing to do with AI gameplay, I think its main purpose is to dictate how big of an area the top camera within Links displays by default. For example, if you make the Hole Boundary Shape really large, the top cam will be zoomed out a lot.

Also, the shape will be visible in the game in the top cam if having Hole Boundary Shape turned on in the top cam settings, though in a different colour than red.

One other thing it dictates is the statistic for % Drives in Fairway. For a tee-shot to be counted as a successful fairway hit, the ball has to both be on fairway (I think fringe, tee area and green counts too), and also be within the hole boundary shape for the correct hole.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The AI can hit slices/hooks and pushes/pulls that go beyond that red line. It's not a limiting factor.

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

The red line also has a lot to do with statistics for tournament play. I have seen designers create holes but not adjust the hole boundary, it does not affect play but will screw up the player stats for that round if you happen to go outside of it.
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

To add on what's already been stated , from what I understand hole boundaries are about player statistics. If a fairway for instance is outside the boundary and a driven ball comes to rest at that point the player would not get credit for a fairway in regulation. I would suspect if the boundary is too large and the ball comes to rest in a different fairway than the intended design/hole path the player would get credit for a fairway in regulation, the same more than likely would go for green in regulation.