Drop Zones

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Big Sexy JC

Drop Zones

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Does APCD allow the designer to designate drop zones for balls hit into penalty areas or water hazards? I've just noticed that on some of the more prominent courses that the drop zones in real life don't align with where balls are re-hit from in Links. For example, the 17th at Sawgrass doesn't use the same drop zone as the one used in real life.
Adelade

Re: Drop Zones

Post by Adelade »

Sadly, no. The only thing a designer can do is control which areas are hazards and which arent. In doing so, one can in some cases, slightly, affect where drops commonly will be taken (for example: dont want drops to be taken in a certain area? Make that area a hazard too - obviously cant be done very freely when it comes to real courses), but it depends on the shot that ended up in the hazard (and the pin position).

Well, there is a "lateral hazard" setting for textures within Links Extender, which possibly might have some type of effect? Possibly allows dropping on the other side (right/left)? I've thought of trying it out, but havent done it so far. I wonder if Lez ever tried it, or anyone else. I've never heard anything about it, which makes me think it either doesnt work (some other texture settings in Links Extender are broken) or else doesnt accomplish anything particularly amazing.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Big Sexy JC

Re: Drop Zones

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Adelade,

Thanks for the response. That's definitely unfortunate, but I had a feeling one of you designers were going to say that. I see some weird re-hit locations on a daily basis and knew it wasnt possible for the designers to not have the proper drop zones as frequently as I see it in Links.