Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Kiwi_NZ

Re: Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Kiwi_NZ wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:59 am
Kiwi_NZ wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:58 am
morvio100 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:43 am Did you dl'd the official Final.exe from the Links country club...or are you installing from cd's...asked if you have 2 graphics cards and have a laptop....incidentaly you screenie shows mode as 1 ....your were told to change that 1 to 14...to do that right click on mode....choose modify...and change 1 to 14
I posted about that, It didnt work though?

You suggested to keep trying , I did for an hour, of rebooting my computer at each attempt, nothing worked
I should say, it loaded but dropped each and every time :rofl:

So since it didnt work, I've started a fresh, with a fresh install

my card below :)

https://ibb.co/sQfdRKv

Desktop computer

My install are from linkscountryclub from my account then my downloads
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

fresh install, followed you're instruction/help as best I could @morvio100 :

It loads but drops, I think I may have missed a step at this point, I'm a bit tired, so will check back in a few hours

https://ibb.co/wMfQMb7
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Kiwi_NZ wrote: April 20th, 2023, 2:17 am fresh install, followed you're instruction/help as best I could @morvio100 :

It loads but drops, I think I may have missed a step at this point, I'm a bit tired, so will check back in a few hours

https://ibb.co/wMfQMb7
Well that didnt work, I got the same result, links loads but drops asap

I've uninstalled again/reinstalled links.
Here's my links files, hope this sheds some light that mine are correct.

https://ibb.co/9rqtjP4

and registry
https://ibb.co/nkQSBxC
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Did you apply the patches from the Links main directory? Drag them there before running them.

I recommend trying just 1.07 + Nvidia patch + Win 7 compatibility mode. I know this has been suggested before, but I think when you tried that back then, you were on the CD install?

Otherwise, go back to whatever you did to get the game running when you posted that it loaded, and showed the screenshot of the game displaying weirdly (it was never clear to me what you did differently that time, but I assumed you had been on the CD install before that, and the change was because you changed to the download install?). Then from that point, try the DPI thing I suggested to you in the PM. If that doesnt work, also do the registry edit for mode 14, depth 1 and Windowed both 0 and 1.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Adelade wrote: April 20th, 2023, 6:31 am Did you apply the patches from the Links main directory? Drag them there before running them.

I recommend trying just 1.07 + Nvidia patch + Win 7 compatibility mode. I know this has been suggested before, but I think when you tried that back then, you were on the CD install?

Otherwise, go back to whatever you did to get the game running when you posted that it loaded, and showed the screenshot of the game displaying weirdly (it was never clear to me what you did differently that time, but I assumed you had been on the CD install before that, and the change was because you changed to the download install?). Then from that point, try the DPI thing I suggested to you in the PM. If that doesnt work, also do the registry edit for mode 14, depth 1 and Windowed both 0 and 1.
No, I've been using my downloaded version (I do have the links dic version however but no way to load that as this computer has no cd slot)
I'm noy sure whats different, with all my trying , They all look the same way of installing.

No, the D/loaded version from the get go.

I'm not sure on this post of yours:
also do the registry edit for mode 14, depth 1 and Windowed both 0 and 1.

reposting this link my registry:
where are those other numbers and windowed mode, in your post found or placed?
and registry
https://ibb.co/nkQSBxC

Where I'm at with my links, it loads, but the black screen is seen, links sits there to load but drops out after 1-2 mins
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:29 pm Yes, that was one of the folks who didnt respond to the advice they were given. I can think of at least three times when it became fully clear that the person seeking tech help hadnt yet followed the previous key advice, so I think it happens a lot of the time.
Wouldn't you think they tried everything, Links didn't work and they left? It's what I think would be the most logical assumption. And no, one person didn't ask for help, he just asked if a fix had been found for the new CPU's. He clearly understood Links doesn't work just like I do.
You aren't listening. These are 15 year old fixes you are wasting Kiwi's time with. They don't work.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Boot wrote: April 20th, 2023, 7:31 am
Adelade wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:29 pm Yes, that was one of the folks who didnt respond to the advice they were given. I can think of at least three times when it became fully clear that the person seeking tech help hadnt yet followed the previous key advice, so I think it happens a lot of the time.
Wouldn't you think they tried everything, Links didn't work and they left? It's what I think would be the most logical assumption. And no, one person didn't ask for help, he just asked if a fix had been found for the new CPU's. He clearly understood Links doesn't work just like I do.
You aren't listening. These are 15 year old fixes you are wasting Kiwi's time with. They don't work.
They had Windows 11 fifteen years ago? Cool! Thanks for your words of wisdom, Boot, aka King of the Trolls :rofl:
Boot

Post by Boot »

pmgolf wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:23 pm They had Windows 11 fifteen years ago? Cool! Thanks for your words of wisdom, Boot, aka King of the Trolls :rofl:
6 pages in and the troll is the only one with the credible comments.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Kiwi..... heres links to the first 2 screenies ya posted.....theses 2 earlier screenies posted earlier in the thread .... 1 https://ibb.co/KwYVr0j that screenie clearly shows you HAD at that point the game at least INSTALLED correctly...as in you had at that point ALL the necessary entries under DISAPLY in the reg//// and 2nd screenie you post
2 https://ibb.co/0QztqTD was a screenie of the performance folder within the registry ...that screenie that listed your 3060...the fact that there WAS a folder named PERFORMANCE in the registry is another clear indication that at the point you posted those screenies the game at THAT POINT was installed correctly....you just made the silly mistake at THAT POINT..of not changing the display mode from 1 TO 14...UNFORTUNATLEY....talkin about the point at which Links loaded but was the wrong size....since then bro...dont know how you arrived at a point where the registry doesnt even show the PERFORMANCE FOLDER in the reg...ps compare those two older screenies to the most receent ones of your registry ya posted bro....but reckon ...weve done are darnest to help you...best of luck with it though :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I recommend reading the thread from the beginning and trying to re-trace your steps or figure out what you did back then to get the game loading. From that point, I feel very strongly that the DPI thing or registry edit had a great chance to solve the display issue from there, but I dont think you tried them.

Like morvio mentions, you had the registry entries earlier. If you retrace your steps, they will show up again.

P.S. Did you try 1.07 + Nvidia + Win 7 compatibility? (1.02 and/or 1.05 before 1.07 is fine too)
Boot wrote: April 20th, 2023, 7:31 amWouldn't you think they tried everything, Links didn't work and they left? It's what I think would be the most logical assumption. And no, one person didn't ask for help, he just asked if a fix had been found for the new CPU's. He clearly understood Links doesn't work just like I do.
The person you're referring to did ask for help, then he was given advice, which he treated with complete silence, while disappearing from the site for months (which means he might have disappeared even before seeing the replies), then he returned and asked if a fix had been found for the new CPUs. Im not saying he for sure didnt try the recommendations, but here's the thing: Im not the one whos trying to use his example as the ONLY given source for my claim, you are. Me, Im saying it is an unconfirmed case and therefore highly problematic example to base any conclusions on, and based on what I just told you about my experiences of whether people actually try what we recommend, I disagree with your logical assumption. In a perfect world it would indeed be a good logical assumption, but here we are. Props for admitting that your only given source before this thread is an assumption instead of a conclusion though.
15 year old fixes were old for Win 10 too and they still worked in many situations for that, just because they're old doesnt mean they wont work. Besides, plenty other Win 11 users have reported having success with many of the fixes mentioned in this thread.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...