Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Kiwi_NZ

Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F 2.10 GHz
ram: 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
system type : 64 bit, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎7/‎04/‎2023
OS build 22621.1555
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22640.1000.0

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

I believe, I've follow the instructions in the forum post though it seems, I might have missed something in the step by step, any help or assistance apricated :)

I start links up right click as admin, it boots up but drops back to system , but then the
links rectangle box appears on desktop and sits aka doesn't do anything else.
Adelade

Re: Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Post by Adelade »

When you say you followed the instructions in the forum post, which post are you referring to?

Have you installed patch 1.07 and the Nvidia patch?

Have you tried compatibility mode for Windows 7? (Right-click LinksLauncher and/or LinksMMIII, choose Properties, Compatibility tab)

Have you tried unplugging all USB devices before launching Links?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Adelade wrote: April 16th, 2023, 3:59 am When you say you followed the instructions in the forum post, which post are you referring to?

Have you installed patch 1.07 and the Nvidia patch?

Have you tried compatibility mode for Windows 7? (Right-click LinksLauncher and/or LinksMMIII, choose Properties, Compatibility tab)

Have you tried unplugging all USB devices before launching Links?
I thought , I had seen a post here *Tech Section* on a step by step Windows 11, though cant seem to find it now.

Yes and yes

Yes to both LinksLauncher and/or LinksMMIII (Does the desktop shortcut need that as well?)

Only my mouse is using a usb, but if I unplug that (how do I click on links to start it up?)

btw, links doesn't launch now.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Desktop shortcut itself doesnt need any settings applied.

Mouse should be fine (but if you want to make 100% certain, you could mark the desktop icon, unplug the mouse and then use the Enter key to launch it - if any popups appear you can usually use the Tab and/or arrow keys to navigate between options, and Enter to select.)

To confirm, there are no error messages or popups right?

Perhaps someone else will have ideas, here is what I would have begun checking if it was me:

-Try launching the game from both LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII

-Try different compatibility settings, for example Win 10 or no windows compatibility mode at all, 'disable full-screen optimizations' on/off, change high dpi settings (although when that last one is needed, I believe Links usually at least boots to the main menu first).

-Try the registry edit https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=478 for a display resolution (Mode) that is suitable for your monitor, and Windowed both on/off (1 or 0), Depth set to 1.

-Update graphics card drivers. If having the energy for it, maybe try old drivers...

-Complete reinstall of Links from scratch, including patches, making extra sure to do everything correctly.

-Look up if Win 11 have any "gaming modes" or whatever to call them, I kind of forgot which ones they are and whether they're turned on in Win 10 or Win 11 by default, but I recall some are not always ideal. I think I turned something like that off in Win 10 when I set up my computer but dont really remember what.

-If all else fails and not knowing anything else to try... maybe I would have tried the dgV wrapper... but I dont remember anyone reporting that it helps specifically with launching Links to the main menu(?)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

would this be the post you were referring to?
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 301#p15301
No matter where you go, there you are.
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

GoBucks wrote: April 16th, 2023, 11:57 am would this be the post you were referring to?
Yes, thats it :)

I'm still having no luck with links loading up.

I left click, run as admin , the links box loading opens to desktop, then it drops.

https://ibb.co/dBL17Qr

When I click restart links, I get the dreaded black box.

Would the downloaded Links game be a reason at all?
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

Adelade wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:48 am Desktop shortcut itself doesnt need any settings applied.

Mouse should be fine (but if you want to make 100% certain, you could mark the desktop icon, unplug the mouse and then use the Enter key to launch it - if any popups appear you can usually use the Tab and/or arrow keys to navigate between options, and Enter to select.)

To confirm, there are no error messages or popups right?

Perhaps someone else will have ideas, here is what I would have begun checking if it was me:

-Try launching the game from both LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII

-Try different compatibility settings, for example Win 10 or no windows compatibility mode at all, 'disable full-screen optimizations' on/off, change high dpi settings (although when that last one is needed, I believe Links usually at least boots to the main menu first).

-Try the registry edit https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=478 for a display resolution (Mode) that is suitable for your monitor, and Windowed both on/off (1 or 0), Depth set to 1.

-Update graphics card drivers. If having the energy for it, maybe try old drivers...

-Complete reinstall of Links from scratch, including patches, making extra sure to do everything correctly.

-Look up if Win 11 have any "gaming modes" or whatever to call them, I kind of forgot which ones they are and whether they're turned on in Win 10 or Win 11 by default, but I recall some are not always ideal. I think I turned something like that off in Win 10 when I set up my computer but dont really remember what.

-If all else fails and not knowing anything else to try... maybe I would have tried the dgV wrapper... but I dont remember anyone reporting that it helps specifically with launching Links to the main menu(?)
Mouse/Keyboard:
Links loads then drops.

Error message:
as above in my post.

Tried:
both LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII , nothing happens when I click on them.

I've tried every combination :
Win 95, 98, xp sp 2, xp sp 3, Vista , sp 1 , sp 2 , win 7, win 8

As above with 14 for resolution

No new drivers found, Its upto date.

Done, then as above with testing.

I couldnt find any.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:48 am But I thought you'd finally given up on your baseless "Links cant be run on win 11 + modern hardware" after your continued failure to acknowledge that you cant provide a single convincing example
Example. As people buy new computers I'm sure you'll have more examples.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Kiwi_NZ wrote: April 17th, 2023, 4:02 am
GoBucks wrote: April 16th, 2023, 11:57 am would this be the post you were referring to?
Yes, thats it :)

I'm still having no luck with links loading up.

I left click, run as admin , the links box loading opens to desktop, then it drops.

https://ibb.co/dBL17Qr

When I click restart links, I get the dreaded black box.

Would the downloaded Links game be a reason at all?
Did you follow each step? You can always start over if you're not sure.

More than likely, the vast majority of Links players today are using the d/l version. It should not be an issue.

And what happens if you just try to start the game without changing any properties of LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII?
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:27 am
Adelade wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:48 am But I thought you'd finally given up on your baseless "Links cant be run on win 11 + modern hardware" after your continued failure to acknowledge that you cant provide a single convincing example
Example. As people buy new computers I'm sure you'll have more examples.
He's baaaack!