Augusta National 2023

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: Augusta National 2023

Post by Danny D »

EJ55 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 2:55 pm That's very interesting way to tackle the problem of bright/dark spots watching your video Dan.

I have always eliminated my shadows by putting a triangle of verts close to the corner.
I will use that method too EJ, if it's a simple fix. But when you try doing it to an entire clubhouse or a building, you can make a complete mess, :pcwhack: and there's still no guarantee that it is always successful. :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
nicodaft

In case You hesitate to go with Augusta National 2023

Post by nicodaft »

Hi everyone :smile: , a little video to motivate you to play with this magnificent course :clapping: .

https://youtu.be/AgQHdmcR8OI

What a job by Linkster :notworthy: . Incredible. Enjoy.

Kiss :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

abc.jpg
abc.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

Hi, Adelade, my link doesn't work?
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

it works, I was just making a silly joke about it not being easy to replicate your shot.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

:rofl: i couldn't believe it was rolling in...

Like you guys..i've shot about billions Times since i discovered this game so ...this shot, it's pure Luck..

By the way, i've a suggestion with the 18th tee...
When we choose Forward tees, we can't see any dangerous trees on the left compare to reality. Is it possible for you, Linkster, to place them? because if you've created forward tees, it's to play Augusta with Links conditions. :tongue:
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

Hi, great idea to put fringe around the greens to reproduce the balls that slip, it's very realistic. However, on the 11, for example, it sends a lot of balls into the water. Also at 14, some of my chips were very difficult to stop the ball when I found myself below the green on the right side. Possible to fix this? Perhaps with specific textures on certain holes, like at 11 for example.

what do you think about that? But, i repeat, the job is amazing!!

Cheers
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Don't you think you're asking for a bit much to get trees placed exactly where they are in real life? The breaks on the greens and the slopes on the fairways are pretty much where they are in real life - and you're griping because some trees aren't in the right place! Com'on, man!

And the extra roll at the edges of the greens is a gift! In real life the ball rolls through that green-border strip (some times called "fringe"), but links usually slows down the ball or stops it with the fringe, but this designer got creative and changed the attributes of the "fringe" to "Green". So what did that do? For one thing, you can chip through this fringe - just as you can in real life. Chip and land the ball on the fringe, and it will continue on just like it would do in real life. You can also putt through it - again like real life. And if some dummy hits his ball too hard* and it tries to roll through the green, this fringe won't stop the ball like Links usually does with it. In real like the ball wouldn't be stopped by the fringe, either! You can, however, improve your Links skills so you can deal with that rolling ball (on #11 green at Augusta National).

* Chip. pitch, approach shot, etc.

Pete
linkster

Post by linkster »

Hi nicodaft!

That is not how most people play the 11th, that must have been a mishit! :rofl:

I can move the pines in closer to the 18th tee corridor. Not many people ask to make a course harder but I am looking for this kind of feedback to help make Augusta as real as possible.

As for the fringe run-offs around the greens, they are staying. That run-off feature of around the greens at Augusta is key to the difficulty of the course. Many other courses are undergoing renovations / restorations to bring back that difficulty to the game. Have a look at Oak Hill when they play the PGA Championship or Southern Hills; last year's PGA course.

Making the fringe play as green was my solution to the fairway roll problem with Augusta. I think I have a better solution to this rather than making "large greens" with textures to hide the difference. Stay tuned for more this summer.
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

Hi Pete,
thank you but I know what I have to do to improve myself, it was not the point.. so on your side, try rather to improve your answer talents.

As I said in my previous posts, for the "some dummies (like you said)" who misunderstand the messages, the idea of ​​sliding the balls is remarkable and I like it a lot, major improvement..

In my opinion, however, it makes hole 11 difficult to control on the second shot because the ball rolls really a lot.

The goal of making a beta version is to allow players to test and therefore give their opinion otherwise it wouldn't exists and the courses would be uploaded directly, so I'm giving an opinion.

Maybe I'm wrong in my analysis, but the debates and the beta versions are there for that.

Thank you Linkster for your answer, it reconciles me with humanity.

And forget for trees on 18th, it's not very important...what i meant is that it's too bad they are not here because their absence takes away the feeling of fear that this departure is supposed to give us.

Happy golfing everyone

Nico