Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
morvio100

Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Post by morvio100 »

Just checked the some vids of EA's upcoming release of ea sports pga tour game....graphics look stunning...ball physics dont look too bad....I wonder will ea finally enter into the legitimate SIMULATION landscape....guess well see ...soon enough....pc version might be worth a purchase as it is not fps capped...apparently the ps5 version is capped at 30 fps...weird
Adelade

Re: Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Post by Adelade »

I saw someone expressing excitement that there would be 30 courses - is that for real? Only 30 courses and people are impressed?? I'd get bored so quickly. And it doesnt seem like there will be any course designer so that means no user-made courses. They say they will add a few more official courses after launch, but that smells like something they will charge extra for.

I gather there wont be any click swing, but will mouse swing be an option at all? I assume so - surely - like similar to RTS on Links, but I only saw them mentioning controller analogue stick.

I think it is very, very interesting that they have ball wobbling or whatever to call it, even on the greens it sounds like. I wonder how much - sure it is a big thing for realism, but will the average gamer embrace or hate that feature?

And then theres the fact that it is EA.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

You nailed it...."And then theres the fact that it is EA.... :rofl:...played a round on Wentworth this morning.....aahhh yesss...now thats what I'm talkin bout...thanks to your goodself and others..we have a huge archive to pick and choose....long live Links2k3 sim/designners
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Over the past 30 years, there have been countless times that other golf sims have come out. Each time someone has said "Oh no! What if it replaces Links!". None of them were even equal to Links, much less better than it is. If it ever happens, then it will happen. Why worry about it? I like Links enough to continue playing it no matter what comes out. I bet others feel the same way.

Pete
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

I'll be surprised if it does surpass Links.

I haven't played Links for sometime as I figured I'd be transitioning to the later golf games as I got a new PC. The old PC pretty much became non-serviceable I looked for a new PC, got the new PC and the newer golf games don't do much for me.

I prefer the photorealistic environment of Links to go along with all the other extras in comparison to all newer entries.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

.."I prefer the photorealistic environment of Links..wouldn't call Links2k3 photorealistic tbh..what's unique about Links courses...is that Links has a very unique color palatte ....some are almost like paintings.....some...such Adrennes and a lot of the costal Links courses are beautiful ...almost soothing to the soul...,as I said..like paintings....Long live Links...ps.......this great sim....does wonders for lowering blood pressure...lol
jahmanson

Post by jahmanson »

It has been snowy here today so I've spent a quiet day at home installing and playing some old EA PC golf sims, namely PGA Tour 2008 and 2012 The Masters. They are fun in their own way but don't have anywhere near the precision accuracy, realism and "feel" that Links 2003 still has today. After a few hours I uninstalled the EA sims and was happy to return to Links 2K3 again :smile:

Even 5 and 9 years after Links 2K3 was launched EA had not really come close so I am doubtful over whether their latest effort will tick the right boxes for me.

I suspect Perfect Golf might be the closest recent golf sim to Links but I've not played that one as yet.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

tend to agree...."so I am doubtful over whether their latest effort will tick the right boxes....the physics in the new EA gme....aint TOO bad...more like valiant effort in fairness to them...this post was not about slaughtering EA...although caveat having said that.....they have been responsible for almost destroying sports gaming for nearly 10 years now.(buying up official licenses and putting out annual iterations of basically the very same game)...last decent games they produced were in the 2010 - 2013 region before they went money hungry/lazy nd cynical...it looks they have reworked the ball physics from the ground up....but agree the ball physics aint in the same league as Links....
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

morvio100 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:07 pm .."I prefer the photorealistic environment of Links..wouldn't call Links2k3 photorealistic tbh..what's unique about Links courses...is that Links has a very unique color palatte ....some are almost like paintings.....some...such Adrennes and a lot of the costal Links courses are beautiful ...almost soothing to the soul...,as I said..like paintings....Long live Links...ps.......this great sim....does wonders for lowering blood pressure...lol
You mention Ardennes... you do realize that it's a 2002 course, don't you? If you want to compare Links to the new games coming out, how about using the new Links courses like MountainTop Golf and Lake Club, Munchen Nord - Eichenried 2022, or Torrey Pines North? If I want to compare my car to the new ones coming out, wouldn't it be better to use a new one instead of the old 2002 POS in my garage? :dunno:

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:31 pm
morvio100 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:07 pm .."I prefer the photorealistic environment of Links..wouldn't call Links2k3 photorealistic tbh..what's unique about Links courses...is that Links has a very unique color palatte ....some are almost like paintings.....some...such Adrennes and a lot of the costal Links courses are beautiful ...almost soothing to the soul...,as I said..like paintings....Long live Links...ps.......this great sim....does wonders for lowering blood pressure...lol
You mention Ardennes... you do realize that it's a 2002 course, don't you? If you want to compare Links to the new games coming out, how about using the new Links courses like MountainTop Golf and Lake Club, Munchen Nord - Eichenried 2022, or Torrey Pines North? If I want to compare my car to the new ones coming out, wouldn't it be better to use a new one instead of the old 2002 POS in my garage? :dunno:

Pete
Could he be referring to Adennes Dunes?
No matter where you go, there you are.