Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
pmgolf

Re: Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Post by pmgolf »

Yes, Dave, I assumed so. If he thinks that one looks good, he needs to look at the newer ones!

Pete
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Could he be referring to Adennes Dunes?.....yes....2018-08-23 Ardennes Dunes
by Andrew Jones,,,,particularly good sea texture.....alot of courses have ...an almost looking at a painting type of appeal.....
jahmanson

Post by jahmanson »

I hope EA don't go down the same line that they did with PGA Tour 2012 - The Masters and produce a product that is severely limited unless you are prepared to go online to purchase a whole bunch of stuff that should have been available when playing off-line. Off-line the gameplay options of the 2012 product are frustratingly narrow. I got my copy used for a very low cost but I would have been annoyed if I had paid out a top price for it when it was launched :mad:
MrT

Post by MrT »

I may get it... Why not? I tried WGT for a month and I can try this one as well. I think the DeLuxe version will be $85 (will give up one meal out) and they have several courses I like... Just need to make sure that I have all the hardware requirements. I should be fine. I just hope it is not only click and click and click. I click enough at work using Excel.

Not sure how to get it, though? I am not particularly interested in Steam and I will probably play on my own (as I go along with myself better than with most people I know), but they say that the game must be able to dialogue with internet to get the upgrades and I have a reasonably good internet connection.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

.."able to dialogue.....your prob right.you'll prob HAVE to purchase via steam.....re...updates..stick steam in offline mode...and way ya go...I wont purchase....don't have the hardware to support it...shit laptop
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

EA has their own Steam-competitor called Origin. The game will surely be released on that launcher. The question is more likely whether it will be available on other launchers too. Im guessing it will. I doubt you'll be able to buy a physical copy of the game, but I dont really keep up with how such things are going these days, I hear Gamestop is still going (or at least limping) in USA.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

You mention Ardennes... you do realize that it's a 2002 course, don't you? If you want to compare Links to the new games coming out, how about using the new Links courses like MountainTop Golf and Lake Club, Munchen Nord - Eichenried 2022, or Torrey Pines North? .....(from pmgolf )

Pete.....I agree with you 100% about the latest Links releases looking superior for the most part. But.....in defense of Andrew Jones "Ardennes Dunes"
if you play it using Merkysky 3 even for a 2002 course it is a visually stunning round of golf ! ( It reminds me of Kiawah Island ocean course, but with more ocean ). I guess I wouldn't have thought of it first off to use as an example, but in playing it again after quite awhile....I think it holds it's own in the Links library. Let's face it, Linkster's have a treasure trove absolutely great courses to choose from.....and MANY of them are our players
original designs via the APCD. EA Sports who ??

Ron
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

No matter where you go, there you are.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

in defense of Andrew Jones "Ardennes Dunes".....Ardennes is just one exmple ...some others that represent this "painting" type of visual appearance are St Christopher's bay/ banyan bay...Ballylecum Castle etc...I mean chucks version of pebblebeach dates back to 04 and looks stunning with Daniels sky 3 or 4...The point I was making...was that these type of courses in Links are more appealing/visually interesting/soothing to the minds eye ...so to speak...and are UNIQUE to Links.. as opposed to a ULTRA realistic/photo-realistic type course if and when ever to be produced by some other titles.....ps I reckon the likes r Miller/Weintrob/a Jones and Mikes Jones and a handful of others.... have not be surpassed in the design and texturing departments (even to this day) ...and that is no disrespect to current designers...

pps Shout out to Daniel ....for all those wonderful sky's...and pano's....they add to so many courses ...immesurably....Well Done Daniel...Great Work... :notworthy:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Just an FYI - if you want to know the date a course was actually produced, you don't look at Links Corner's course record, you look at the date on the .CRZ. For Ardennes Dunes, that was 12/31/2002. :smile:

Pete