Alignment of golfer on tee

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Weeler

Alignment of golfer on tee

Post by Weeler »

Hi,
I've been playing Links a very long time ( since Access Software days), so I've figured out a lot of the tricks of the trade while playing. But I've got a question I'm hoping one or more of you can answer. Actually, this is something I've encountered on maybe 3-4 other courses, but I'm just going to cite one example, since more of you guys MAY have this course already and have played it often.

The specific course is Augusta National 2009, by Andrew Jones. Course# 1880.

On the 15th hole, the golfer has a "default setting" aiming 37 degrees to the left, into a group of trees. Using the "Rotate" feature, and clicking on the
flag icon, the golfer quickly reverts to a " 0 degree " setting, and is aiming down the 15th fairway as it should be. My question (s) are: Why is the golfer set up aiming left in the first place ( by the designer ), AND is there a way to set the aim to "0 degrees" and SAVE it, so that it doesn't revert back to the original setting ? As you can see, this isn't a major issue, just a tad annoying.

Any insight would be helpful..................Ron :dunno:
pmgolf

Re: Alignment of golfer on tee

Post by pmgolf »

You and the rest of us is stuck with having to remember to rotate your golfer on the 15th tee. The course is locked and can not be changed.

One alternative you have is to use the "Augusta National 2009 2010 Update". Not only is that golfer on 15 fixed (I believe), but the pins on the 11th green have been corrected from the positions they had been assigned. They were a mess in the original 2009 version. Note: I had to lobby to get the "2010 update" version put in use at LSPN. Compare the 11th hole pin positions on the 2 versions in "Practice" mode.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Weeler wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:26 pm Hi,
I've been playing Links a very long time ( since Access Software days), so I've figured out a lot of the tricks of the trade while playing. But I've got a question I'm hoping one or more of you can answer. Actually, this is something I've encountered on maybe 3-4 other courses, but I'm just going to cite one example, since more of you guys MAY have this course already and have played it often.

The specific course is Augusta National 2009, by Andrew Jones. Course# 1880.

On the 15th hole, the golfer has a "default setting" aiming 37 degrees to the left, into a group of trees. Using the "Rotate" feature, and clicking on the
flag icon, the golfer quickly reverts to a " 0 degree " setting, and is aiming down the 15th fairway as it should be. My question (s) are: Why is the golfer set up aiming left in the first place ( by the designer ), AND is there a way to set the aim to "0 degrees" and SAVE it, so that it doesn't revert back to the original setting ? As you can see, this isn't a major issue, just a tad annoying.

Any insight would be helpful..................Ron :dunno:
Hi Ron... The golfers aim off the tee has to do with the designated landing area that the designer sets up, which also determines the shape of the entire hole. We must choose where the landing area is on each shot on the way to the green, so if there is a dogleg off the tee to reach the driving area, then the golfer, by game design, will aim at the driving area where the ball will be landing. For example, lets just say there is 175 yards of straightaway fairway, and then it makes a dogleg 45 degrees to the left, then we must choose the landing area somewhere between 250 to 300 yards around the dogleg. If there happens to be a tree near the tee, then you will have to re-aim to miss the tree, and then draw or fade, or hit OVER the tree that's in the way. On the other hand, if we only aim straightaway, then the APCD will shape our fairway to match the yardage, not the actual boundaries of the hole.

In short, the APCD golfer automatically sets up and faces the landing spots that we designate on the first, second, and third shots as we approach the green, and the hole shape is created by landing areas. Bottom line is, if we change the aim of the golfer off the tee, we also change the shape of the hole.

I am not aware of any way to "lock" the golfers aim. To the best of my knowledge, the golfers aim is always locked in the direction of the landing spots that we designate. We can rotate the tee directions, but the golfer will still aim toward the designated landing spots. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I hope that makes sense.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

In APCD, you can rotate the tees with the rotate tool within the tee planting tab, this actually will change the default aim for golfers (at least on par 4 and par 5 holes). Also, if the designer moves the tee after planting it, it will no longer aim directly towards the designer-designated landing spot, and instead keep the same exact bearing angle. For example, if you move a tee 30 yards to the right and then dont make any corrections, the default aim will be to a spot 30 yards to the right of the designer-designated landing spot. Normally, when tees are moved, they arent moved very far, so you probably wont even notice the difference, but in some cases where the tee is moved a further distance, and especially sideways, it can create weird aims. If deleting and replanting the tee instead, it will automatically aim to the designer-designated landing spot.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:35 am In APCD, you can rotate the tees with the rotate tool within the tee planting tab, this actually will change the default aim for golfers (at least on par 4 and par 5 holes).
Hi Adelade.
Are you saying the golfer will rotate the same direction that the tee is rotated? I could have sworn the last time I rotated a tee the golfer was still turned at an angle toward the landing spot. Is there anything special you have to do to make him line up square with the tee direction after you rotate the tee?
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Thanks for the input, guys. I didn't realize the information about the landing area that a designer originally sets when making the course. I can see where "altering" the direction off the tee would effective change how the hole was originally laid out. You learn something new every day ! I found this aiming "issue" on Rob Miller's Pine Valley course on two holes also. I guess it's easy enough to deal with. When you're ready to tee off, if the direction looks a tad "off", just check the setting on the rotate icon, and adjust accordingly.

Thanks
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Sorry........forgot to turn off the underlining. It was only supposed to be on the course name.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Danny D wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:59 amAre you saying the golfer will rotate the same direction that the tee is rotated? I could have sworn the last time I rotated a tee the golfer was still turned at an angle toward the landing spot. Is there anything special you have to do to make him line up square with the tee direction after you rotate the tee?
Yes, at least on par 4 and par 5 holes, and at least for player-controlled golfers, the golfer's default rotation will be the same as how the planted tee is rotated. On par 3 holes it probably isnt like that, because on those I believe the default rotation will be towards whichever pin is in use. Shouldnt have to do anything special after rotating other than NOT replanting the tee. Well, a Validate & Save has to be done of course.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:55 pm
Danny D wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:59 amAre you saying the golfer will rotate the same direction that the tee is rotated? I could have sworn the last time I rotated a tee the golfer was still turned at an angle toward the landing spot. Is there anything special you have to do to make him line up square with the tee direction after you rotate the tee?
Yes, at least on par 4 and par 5 holes, and at least for player-controlled golfers, the golfer's default rotation will be the same as how the planted tee is rotated.
OK, thanks. :thumbup: :tiphat: I'll make a mental note on that, if I can find something to write with. :whistle:
Completed Courses