Tobacco Road Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
chad

Re: Tobacco Road Golf Course

Post by chad »

:thumbup:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Wow, Sage......you outdid yourself on this one ! The bunkering is beyond reproach ( and there is SO much of it, with all those massive waste bunkers) The colors and textures look very natural. I don't think I've ever seen that sand texture before, is it custom ? ( yes...I had several shots go in there, it's
a challenging course ). The planting is incredible as well, the wooded areas are really thick w/underbrush and all. IMHO.....this is your best effort to date ! Looking forward to more !

Ron :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thank you very much Ron.............I don't remember where I got the texture or if I made it myself.....I'll look into it and let you know so I don't take undo credit.
How goes things?

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Yeah, that's a Sage Vanni custom texture as far as I can tell. If someone else recognizes it please correct me.

Sage....... :cheers1:
linkster

Post by linkster »

Great work bringing this course to life!

:cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

If anyone finds anything amiss on the course please let me know and I'll keep a running tally and fix them and then release a fixed version.

Thanks.....

Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Went through and picked out pins and checked some stuff out, havent played the full round yet but looking forward to it.

A couple small things which I dont personally think really requires an update but in case of making an update for other reasons, could be worth taking a look at:

-Noticed that the seamblend between bunker (waste) and deep grass seems to have the properties mixed up - there is deep grass texture just inside the bunkers and waste just outside.

-Many tee areas are far from flat, not that I think that really matters since teeshots are pegged up anyway but might look slightly odd in some places.

Just out of curiosity - were the greens in this case constructed with linkster's method with Lidar, and if so how dense were the points? Either way, one design feature of the course seems to be that many greens are bowl shaped.

On hole 9, I noticed that the hole preview showed a lot longer (427 yards) than the Links scorecard. I compared the real-life scorecard https://tobaccoroadgolf.com/wp-content/ ... recard.pdf (of course, I have no clue how old that one is) to the Links one and saw that there is a 252 yard difference in the total length of the course - 6280 yards in Links and 6532 in the real scorecard. I compared a couple holes with the largest discrepancy on Google Earth and cannot see that there is anything wrong with the scaling in Links, and the maximum that could be squeezed out by placing tees further back in Links was at most 5-8 yards per hole or so for the 6 holes I looked at... Some of it likely comes from where the fairway points are placed in APCD, but in terms of gameplay those dont have any influence whatsoever in how long the holes actually play. Definitely seems to be another case of the real-life scorecard makers being either drunk or - more likely - on purpose trying to make the course's length seem more "impressive" than it really is.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks for the input Adelade. When you get your full round in and critique the course, let me know what you feel must be changed or fixed. I'll go from there.

fiver

Post by fiver »

Adelade,

Those greens are quite accurate. I got rid of all score cards and course hole by hole book because I moved back to New York State. Now I wish I keep them. I didn't think Sage was coming back to create this beautiful course for me. :rofl:

Fiver :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Played the round, enjoyed it, I have no thoughts on what must be changed or fixed, thats up to you. I didnt find anything else. The course unfortunately doesnt put up much challenge in Links, at least not on champ classic. I picked the toughest pins I could find on fair slopes and still equalled my all time record score relative to par despite being very out of practice. Either way as I said, enjoyable round and a very nice creation. Would be interesting to maybe one day see another version of the course with some longer fictional tees added, if there are any appropriate spots for it. I dont know if I would ever get around to it, but would you be ok with me perhaps doing that some day Sage? If not thats completely ok.

Still curious about the method used and data density for the greens by the way.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...