Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Titus

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by Titus »

Hi,
what do you mean - Official Links website, the Links Country Club ?
I can't find anything directly on the Microsoft website.

To be honest, I don't have high hopes.

I built an only Links2003 out of the old computer parts, I have to live with that for the moment.
But all the stress with the new and the old computer also had its good side. Since 2015 I played
Links2003 on Win8 and then with Win10, here the swing meter was very fast and it was
very difficult to hit straight.

Now I can set the swing meter a little slower, which is good for the fairway statistics.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I mostly agree with morvio. However, if I was in your position, I would try the mentioned dgV directX wrapper first of all (unless you already tried it) (this one: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 ) , because if that works, then you dont have to pay anything. If it doesnt work, I do think the download version of the game (Im pretty sure morvio is referring to the https://www.linkscountryclub.com/prosho ... ad-version place, yes) might have a decent chance of working better, many people have said they think that one works better than the CD version. I understand though that it would suck to pay for something if it turns out to not work... and I also understand that you're not super desperate to get the game to work since you can play it on the other computer. But still, it could be worth considering.

One other thing that you could potentially try, is to look inside your GraphicSettings.txt file (in the main Links folder) and see if you can change any settings relating to fullscreen/screen modes/resolution settings/other graphics-related stuff there. I cant really see how the standard file looks, because Im using the directX wrapper, and it seems like that program completely changed my GraphicsSettings.txt file. Some people have mentioned in the past that adding your GPU to the list in GraphicsSettings.txt file [edit: scratch that, the GPU is supposed to be added to the VideoCard.txt file instead. Honestly, maybe the graphics edits are supposed to be there too] can help, not sure if thats true because it never seemed to do anything for me, but who knows.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hi, first of all thanks to everyone for the tips.
Adelade wrote: September 7th, 2022, 4:46 pm I mostly agree with morvio. However, if I was in your position, I would try the mentioned dgV directX wrapper first of all (unless you already tried it) (this one: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 ) , because if that works, then you dont have to pay anything. If it doesnt work, I do think the download version of the game (Im pretty sure morvio is referring to the https://www.linkscountryclub.com/prosho ... ad-version place, yes) might have a decent chance of working better, many people have said they think that one works better than the CD version. I understand though that it would suck to pay for something if it turns out to not work... and I also understand that you're not super desperate to get the game to work since you can play it on the other computer. But still, it could be worth considering.
Adalede, you're 100% right here and I've used the dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper before.
Adelade wrote: September 7th, 2022, 4:46 pm One other thing that you could potentially try, is to look inside your GraphicSettings.txt file (in the main Links folder) and see if you can change any settings relating to fullscreen/screen modes/resolution settings/other graphics-related stuff there. I cant really see how the standard file looks, because Im using the directX wrapper, and it seems like that program completely changed my GraphicsSettings.txt file. Some people have mentioned in the past that adding your GPU to the list in GraphicsSettings.txt file [edit: scratch that, the GPU is supposed to be added to the VideoCard.txt file instead. Honestly, maybe the graphics edits are supposed to be there too] can help, not sure if thats true because it never seemed to do anything for me, but who knows.
The new PC does not yet have a GraphicSettings.txt file.
The old PC has an Nvidia 980GTX and the dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper entered there.
I've never done anything to the VideoCard.txt file, I don't know how to enter an RTX3080
there and the old PC doesn't have a GTX980 entered there either.

I am trying to create the GraphicSettings.txt file first.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Titus wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:27 pm
I've never done anything to the VideoCard.txt file, I don't know how to enter an RTX3080

I'm wondering why Links works with my Intel i11700, but not ypur 12700?

I'm running a GeForce 1660 ti. The "GraphicSettings.txt" must've been created when I installed Links. It was modified 9/1/2022. At that time, I adjusted the graphics slider in the game.

I've not done anything special other than what I posted on the 1st page of this thread.

And I'm not trying to contradict anything that was posted by others in this thread. But I am curious as to why you're stating that the processor is to blame?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Can someone who does NOT use the directX wrapper program share their own GraphicSettings.txt file?

For how to add the GPU to the VideoCard.txt file, see this post: https://lspn.net/community/viewtopic.php?p=98142#p98142
(Not sure which post on LC it references, because the forum search function here on LC is so flawed.)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: September 8th, 2022, 1:59 pm Can someone who does NOT use the directX wrapper program share their own GraphicSettings.txt file?
Is the directx wrapper you refer to that voodoo stuff?

If so, I've never used it.

Sent a pm.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Titus

Post by Titus »

GoBucks wrote: September 8th, 2022, 1:16 pm
Titus wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:27 pm

I'm wondering why Links works with my Intel i11700, but not ypur 12700?

I'm running a GeForce 1660 ti. The "GraphicSettings.txt" must've been created when I installed Links. It was modified 9/1/2022. At that time, I adjusted the graphics slider in the game.

I've not done anything special other than what I posted on the 1st page of this thread.

And I'm not trying to contradict anything that was posted by others in this thread. But I am curious as to why you're stating that the processor is to blame?
Hello, that's my guess.
I don't know the difference between i11700 and i12700, I'll have to look it up, but I don't think it can be that big.
During my PC update, I switched from an Intel i4790k CPU, MSI mainboard, 24GB RAM
to an Intel i12700 CPU, Asrock mainboard with 32GB RAM.
The rest stayed the same (RTX3080, power supply 750W, 1TB WDC-SSD, Win10 64bit 21H2) I think it can't be the mainboard or RAM.
Windows was cloned, but when Links2003 stopped working I also reinstalled Win10 and all drivers.

My "GraphicSettings.txt" also changed on 8/29/22, I turned off the shadows.

Adelade,
I know the link but gave up. :pcwhack:

Links2003 runs with a GTX980 and the RTX3080 even, without entering the graphics card in the video card file.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

GoBucks wrote: September 8th, 2022, 3:22 pm Is the directx wrapper you refer to that voodoo stuff?

If so, I've never used it.
Yeah that one, Andy told us to avoid mentioning it by its real full name a while back (because of Google being stupid about thinking it is malware), but I've seen plenty people call it the real name since then and Links Corner is still up, so its probably fine.

Only next thing I can think of right now is trying old drivers, but doing old drivers always seems cumbersome to me, so Im guessing you might not care to try that Titus.

Otherwise I would have suggested the Regedit thing already, but you said you've already looked into that.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Titus...it's got zero to do with cpu...install the official Final.exe (Adelade was correct) ...the problem you now have is you were unnecessarily copying regisry. files in the past(always a disastrous thing to do)../ NB ...uninstall what you have currently...MAKE SURE YOUV'E COMPLETELY uninstalled what you have... go back to the registry to check Links2k3 is not listed under Microsoft games,,,install the official dl'd exe from Links - https://www.linkscountryclub.com/ (INSTALL THE REQUIRED PATCHES THAT ARE LISTED ON THAT PAGE)- dont bother with the graphics.txt file you wont need that...if the game installs and runs (and you have a full Links2k3 directory under Microsoft games)... go back to registry and in the display folder make sure - device is set to 1- (regardless of what error msgs;s you get at first - the game might not run at all until you've set THAT REG ENTRY - "DEVICE 1) your system and Links will do the rest......see if you can the game to run first...my guess is you've been tinkeing with the registry(copying files) of your good machine..best of luck..is see a fresh install of Windows 11 in your near future .lol....
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hello Morvio100,
okay I'll get the official Final.exe and try to remove all leftover links2003 and reinstall it according to your instructions