Chambers Bay updates

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Chambers Bay updates

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Sage:

I sent you a couple of PMs but I'm not sure if they got through to you. The PM said that it was sent but it didn't show as having been received,

Jim
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Jimbo,

Got 'em and acted upon the comments.......Thanks....

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi All,

I need some feedback.....................

Is the course I have presented to you all worth getting the greens right as far as contours...?????? I don't know if I can even pull it off if I had the contour mapping.

What do you all think...??????????

Sage..... :smile: :smile:
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi Sage, I played the course twice yesterday and only had 1 funny thing happen. On the 8th hole I missed the fairway right. I took my swing and it said it went 6 ft. The 2nd as well seemed to go nowhere. The third went as I thought it would. I'll try to replicate the problem. If I can't, I'd say it's not a problem! As far as the greens go I liked them. I suppose a couple of the greens could use some tiers but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know you said the green file I sent you wasn't very legible, but if you use the coloration it gives an indication of areas of the green that are raised or low. I enjoyed both my rounds, I think I shot 2 over during the first and 1 under for the second. That's without wind on M/M. Today I'll play gusty and F/M to see how it goes.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

72Animal wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:19 pmI took my swing and it said it went 6 ft. The 2nd as well seemed to go nowhere. The third went as I thought it would. I'll try to replicate the problem. If I can't, I'd say it's not a problem!
Pretty sure its the planted grasses. I tested the course very briefly yesterday but was interrupted, so I didnt get to complete anything to send to Sage. Either way, I found that grasses seem to be set to near-100% dampening, even though the density may be low (so it might not happen every time). For example I tried hitting a perfect drive with default aim off the Forward tee on 14th where I saw grasses, and it went 2 meters. I know Sage may have fixed it already.
sagevanni wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:54 pmI need some feedback.....................

Is the course I have presented to you all worth getting the greens right as far as contours...?????? I don't know if I can even pull it off if I had the contour mapping.

I only looked closely at 2-3 greens so far but one of them was 18th which seemed quite unrealistic to me (extreme slope on at least 90% of the surface).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi again-so far I've managed to make 2 "keeper" putts on greens that I consider to be a challenge-I'm not bragging but...OK I'm bragging. I was fooling around on the 17th trying to bounce shots off the train. I didn't know that Union Pacific has the flag facing the back on both sides of the engine-great call! The reason I asked about the possibility of a train horn (we can't really call them "whistles" anymore) is twofold:

1. If it can me "randomized" it will make putting on the 17th even more fun and that would be the crowning touch.
2. The Lambton course (that appears to be coming along very nicely) has a major rail line (Canadian Pacific-3 tracks) that runs behind the 18th tee. It's the Canadian Pacific freight line from Toronto to Detroit and Buffalo and it very busy. There is a row of trees behind the tee so you can't see the trains but believe me they're there and if a random train sound is available it would be a great add for Lambton.

Did you figure out what those things on 18 are?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sagevanni wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm Hi All,

I need some feedback.....................

Sage..... :smile: :smile:
Hi Sage. If everyone is pleased with the course and you want the greens contoured and can get me the mappings, I would consider doing them for you. Let me know what you decide.

As far as planting grasses, I always plant them for looks only. I program them to "pass thru" so they don't interfere with a shot. I generally program the grass texture as DEEP ROUGH where the weeds are planted so there is a least a little penalty for missing a fairway and getting in the weeds. (you should plant some snakes out there just for grins) :rofl:

I'm somewhat surprised how well the yellow grassy texture looks from the top cam view in Links at higher altitudes. That's a little trick I will keep in mind in the future to help solve the tiling effect. :thumbup: I had no trouble with rendering, and I keep my graphics slider full to the right.

Nice job! :clapping:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

Sage,I played the course and really enjoyed it very well done everyone is going to love this course and enjoy playing it. Steve
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Remember this? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :wallbash: :wallbash:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... se-us-open

Of course it was playing to 7,700 yards and Par 70...now that's what I would call "Brutal"-and it looks like the pros felt the same way! :whistle:
I think this setup is fine-who needs 700 more yards!

I guess we "amateurs" can't complain. Looks like Sage's "brutal" course might be his best work ever! :notworthy:

But we still need that train whistle! We probably don't need spectators because I'm pretty sure the pros won't be coming back any time soon! :laugh:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks Jim.......okay.....will look into adding train whistle...................

I need photos of all the greens, as many as possible from every angle.....wanna try and make 'em realistic. I have a few from some people but I need 'em all..!!!!!!!

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: