Wahat Al Sahraa

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Mr Mulligan

Re: Wahat Al Sahraa

Post by Mr Mulligan »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:32 pm Fairly simple Hole Preview. Does anyone need more information?

Hole Preview 1.jpg
:clapping:
Looks good!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Looks fine Stephen
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Looks good to me! :thumbup:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Look real good, thank you for putting that initial yardage on them.
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

BruMu wrote: May 6th, 2020, 9:39 pm I had no problem at all getting over the trees on the 10th with a default 3W from the back tees. I thought it was well planned with the trees there.

Not every tee shot is clear and easy. :smile:
Maybe it's just me, but I never hit anything other than driver on a par-4, unless there's some trickery waiting further up, like a stream, huge fairway bunker, or split fairway at 285 yards. My 3-wood is strictly for 2nd-shot eagle attempts on par-5's.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:45 pm While looking at 10, I noticed a strange anomaly with the tee yardages. On the tee planting page the middle tee shows as 415 yards, but in Links and in the Course Properties in APCD it shows as 440 yards, which is longer than the Back Tee, but it was clearly in front of that position.

I've replanted the tees and all looks good in APCD, but I will add the amended version to Links to check the Scorecard agrees :dunno:
I noticed some discussion of this problem in the Course Design forum a while back, and someone had a (complicated) explanation & solution for it, but the consensus seemed to be "just ignore it".
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

FOOOOORE! wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:54 am
BruMu wrote: May 6th, 2020, 9:39 pm I had no problem at all getting over the trees on the 10th with a default 3W from the back tees. I thought it was well planned with the trees there.

Not every tee shot is clear and easy. :smile:
Maybe it's just me, but I never hit anything other than driver on a par-4, unless there's some trickery waiting further up, like a stream, huge fairway bunker, or split fairway at 285 yards. My 3-wood is strictly for 2nd-shot eagle attempts on par-5's.
Well, it's not just you. Everyone has their own playing style. :smile:

I never saw the point in hitting driver every single time off the tee. There are numerous holes where it's almost impossible. There are numerous par 4's where a Driver just isn't needed. For me, it's not about getting the ball as far down the fwy as I can, it's about getting the ball in the best location for my next shot.

I've seen many Pro's take less than a driver, even use an iron, on some par 4's. Sometimes it's because of an obstruction, such as trees, and sometimes it's because they want to land their ball in a certain location to set up for the next shot.

All good :thumbup:
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

FOOOOORE! wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:57 amI noticed some discussion of this problem in the Course Design forum a while back, and someone had a (complicated) explanation & solution for it, but the consensus seemed to be "just ignore it".
While understandable, Im sad for that to be a takeaway from the discussion. I can only once again post my conclusion, which to me has always seemed concise and simple: The only thing that matters for the scorecard yardages is the distance between the individual planted tees, through any fairway points in the defined hole path, to the center of green point in the defined hole path. Crucially, it only matters what this distance was at the specific point in time when each individual planted tee was last planted or moved.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

All seems good with tee distances now. Previews, splashes, logo and flags are done and the course has been uploaded as a final

Thanks for everyone's input :thumbup:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

FOOOOORE! wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:54 amMaybe it's just me, but I never hit anything other than driver on a par-4, unless there's some trickery waiting further up, like a stream, huge fairway bunker, or split fairway at 285 yards. My 3-wood is strictly for 2nd-shot eagle attempts on par-5's.
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: