Whirlpool Golf Course 2020 Finished

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Whirlpool Golf Course 2020 Finished

Post by Jimbo »

Adelaide has done a tremendous job restoring one of Links' best real course recreations-Kevin Fraser pretty-much nailed toe original nai (except for the clubhouse! :naughty: which Adelaide has graciously "constructed" behind the 18th green.

There is, however one important difference between the Links rendition and the present day course, as reflected on their current website. They've shortened the course by approximately 200 yards from the Gold Tees. The other tees have had their yardages noticeably altered too. The hole handicaps have also been changed.

IMHO the correction shouldn't be too difficult to correct (although I'm not a designer and I don't play one on TV :naughty: ). A few Gold tees have to be moved to the Blue area (or even closer) and the others moved down a notch-that should fix most of the holes that are too long.

There are also tees that are very close to each other-I think that that problem cam be addressed by having using different tee boxes.

I've played around with my Excel file and have come up with something that might work-especially if the scorecard can be adjusted.

Before I post anything I'm going to show it to the designers for feedback.

Other than that it's great-the only problem of course is that the Whirlpool, the river and even the canal aren't visible (it's not our fault-blame Niagara Parks! :rant: ). They're just too far from the club and the only water are the ponds on the course.

Other than that 8 1/2 out of 10 (I don't want people to get complacent!) :rofl:
Kevin Fraser

Post by Kevin Fraser »

Hey Adelade sorry I'm late to the party. Thanks so much for gussying up the old girl. Things look great.

As for the accuracy of my work, I had no aerial or decent elevation info so this is only as accurate as my memory and a yardage book. As I said to you the elevations were exaggerated a bit to make it play more like the real thing.

That said I and others thought the layout is pretty close and the general elevation is pretty true.

So thanks again, I hope you continue renovating older courses. :notworthy:
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Nice to see you stop by again :thumbup: Was a lot of fun to work with this course, especially since you gave me freedom with it :smile: Your work with the old textures was really interesting (and inspiring) to get a good detailed look into, I bet it would be pretty hard to find a course with 256x256 textures with nicer texture work than your 2001 version :smile: Thanks again.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi folks. I'm attaching a Word document showing what I believe are the more accurate hole lengths from each tee (except the Reds :dunno: ), along with suggested pin placements.
I haven't messed with any of Kevin's APCD work or Adelaide's refinement (thanks for the clubhouse!) and they have both seen my work. You'll notice that there are a couple of holes that are dramatically shorter, namely 9, 18 and especially 14.
On a side note-for those of you who have played the course you may have noticed that the only visible water is found in the two ponds at either end of-the course. The actual whirlpool is about a half mile down the Niagara River, which is about 500 yards "out of bounds" across the Parkway. :oops:
The only other semi-major water is the Hydro Canal which runs along the north side of the course, again too far "out of bounds" to be included.
Blame Stanley Thompson and the folks who owned the land....although you're a few decades too late! :naughty:
It's still a beautiful course from one of the world's greatest "unknown" designers....except up here!
Anyway play a couple of rounds from each tee and let me know how it looks.

BTW, Kevin and Adelaide (but more Kevin) I'll be sending you guys another PM shortly-it's not about Whirlpool (please hold your applause :tongue: ) but it's something that might "tickle your fancy"! (if your fancy needs tickling) If you really would rather have seen the last of me :fear: then let me know and I'll probably send it anyway! :rofl:
Attachments
Whirlpool Adjusted Tees.docx
(16.72 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Jimbo

If only Stanley Thompson was still alive...

Post by Jimbo »

https://mashable.com/2017/01/14/niagara-falls-runs-dry/

They could have had a second 18...next to the Whirlpool. :rant: