Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
pmgolf

Re: Windows 11/Links Sits on Desktop

Post by pmgolf »

The fix that always works: buy an old PC - preferably desktop - that is running Windows 7. I'm hanging on to my old one as a backup - just in case windows (ie. Microsoft) finds a way to stop my version of Windows 10 from running Links (and other legacy apps).

And a shout-out to Boot! How's our favorite ol' Troll doing? :smile:

Pete
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

GoBucks wrote: April 17th, 2023, 12:40 pm
Kiwi_NZ wrote: April 17th, 2023, 4:02 am
GoBucks wrote: April 16th, 2023, 11:57 am would this be the post you were referring to?
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 301#p15301
Yes, thats it :)

I'm still having no luck with links loading up.

I left click, run as admin , the links box loading opens to desktop, then it drops.

https://ibb.co/dBL17Qr

When I click restart links, I get the dreaded black box.

Would the downloaded Links game be a reason at all?
Did you follow each step? You can always start over if you're not sure.

More than likely, the vast majority of Links players today are using the d/l version. It should not be an issue.

And what happens if you just try to start the game without changing any properties of LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII?
Yes. I've just Uninstalled links/Reinstalled ( clean install, no fixs added)

Ok, thats good to know the d/load version works.

LinksLauncher :
loads up, though the screen view is huge , I was unable to use alt/tab 100%
(I could see the tabs, but it wouldn't change over to the other tabs, it was stuck on the huge links window)

LinksMMIII:
loads but drops.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

LinksMMIII:
loads but drops.....The issue your having is due to the current resolution settings in the registry.....search the forum,,,,for resolution registry fix...and PM Adelade.... :thumbup:
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

morvio100 wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:30 pm LinksMMIII:
loads but drops.....The issue your having is due to the current resolution settings in the registry.....search the forum,,,,for resolution registry fix...and PM Adelade.... :thumbup:
https://ibb.co/7vb6S6y

That semi worked, at least now I can see the player and hear music , Links is still huge.

I'll PM Adelade.
Last edited by Kiwi_NZ on April 17th, 2023, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:27 am
Adelade wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:48 am But I thought you'd finally given up on your baseless "Links cant be run on win 11 + modern hardware" after your continued failure to acknowledge that you cant provide a single convincing example
Example. As people buy new computers I'm sure you'll have more examples.
:laugh: You're still here.

It only took you, what, 3 months to find an example since the first of the 5 or so times I asked you to do it. Gratz, you did it! :cheers1:

Except it now looks like there may yet be a chance for Kiwi_NZ to get it to work. You were always quick to count people who "cant run the game because of their hardware", although I will give you that you waited longer than usually this time :thumbup:

Your next task will be to finally address the fact that there was a perfect example of someone who could run the game under your very own criteria for what you claimed there was no one who could run the game with - even after I had given you a direct link to the proof of the opposite(!)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

After closing links, I got this error message:

https://ibb.co/ck4yhCF
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hi Kiwi.....best avenue...post a screenie of the regedit 1/ what display settings is... 2/ post whats under performance....your spec is ...coolaboola.....make sure Legacy is checked under windows feature/turn on/off....run in win 7 compat.....ps vood...o is a bit of a pig to get up and running...first port of call is a screenshot of display settings...1 Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\DisplaySettings 2 Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Performance ..... in there ya should see ......"video device = dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper....up your memory in there to 16 gb.....booooyyyaaahhhh....happy days :thumbup: ps "Links is still huge. told ya ...is a res issue....bbboooyyaaahhh
Kiwi_NZ

Post by Kiwi_NZ »

morvio100 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:27 am Hi Kiwi.....best avenue...post a screenie of the regedit 1/ what display settings is... 2/ post whats under performance....your spec is ...coolaboola.....make sure Legacy is checked under windows feature/turn on/off....run in win 7 compat.....ps vood...o is a bit of a pig to get up and running...first port of call is a screenshot of display settings...1 Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\DisplaySettings 2 Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Performance ..... in there ya should see ......"video device = dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper....up your memory in there to 16 gb.....booooyyyaaahhhh....happy days :thumbup: ps "Links is still huge. told ya ...is a res issue....bbboooyyaaahhh
1:
https://ibb.co/KwYVr0j

2:
https://ibb.co/0QztqTD

make sure Legacy is checked under windows feature/turn on/off....
Where abouts is this found?

run in win 7 compat.....
I am :)

ps vood...o is a bit of a pig to get up and running

I'm not sure ?
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: April 17th, 2023, 10:39 pm It only took you, what, 3 months to find an example since the first of the 5 or so times I asked you to do it. Gratz, you did it! :cheers1:
As I've told you before, there have been multiple examples. This one was just convenient to point out to you. It's around number 5. I think I pointed out another somewhere to you and any of the others, you think I would waste one second of my time on you searching because you refuse to take my word for it? I'm quite sure you also responded in every one of those threads but your memory clearly does not match your attitude. :laugh:

Links won't work. He needs the patch. I feel sorry for all the people who won't have access to the patch. Being such a Links expert to call people trolls, hope you can create one for them? The patch won't be given out because of people like you. None of this is my problem, I am using the patch. :kicking: :thumbup: :laugh:
dko

Post by dko »

I can't follow any of this conversation, dumb as I am with computers, so I can't really tell if you've tried this yet. What worked for me was to fully implement the solution set forth by Andy in the sticky post in this Tech Corner forum: "Links 2003 and 2001 Won't Launch." Third down from the top.

I'm on Windows 11 with a 10th generation onboard Intel processor, and after experiencing similar issues as Kiwi, Links has worked great for 100s of rounds after doing as instructed in that post. :fcrossed:
Doug