Changing texture color

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Changing texture color

Post by pmgolf »

I'm trying to change colors on some heavy rough using Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop and it seems to be beyond my abilities. I could sure use some help or even some tips.

I've tried 2 sets of texture colors with my course - one a more basic green and the other a green that's closer to sage. I like the sage, but I can't find a heavy rough texture that I like as much as the one I have for the basic green. Lez's lesson indicated that it is pretty easy to do, but I just can't figure it out. Here is the heavy rough texture:
HvyRgh.jpg
HvyRgh.jpg (223.68 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
...and here is what I'm trying to match it to - the rough color that's between the fairway and my poor attempt at a heavy rough color.
OH FW to Rgh to HvyRgh.jpg
OH FW to Rgh to HvyRgh.jpg (143.42 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
I would like to more closely match the hue (I guess it is) of the sage (a green that has more blue in it?), but I would be happy if I could get the heavy rough to be predominately the straw color with just a bit of green in it. I would also like to bring the heavy rough color closer to the rough color so there won't be such a drastic difference between the two. Any ideas from you artistic types? Thanks!

Pete
Adelade

Re: Changing texture color

Post by Adelade »

Before I answer... Theres probably nothing wrong with your explanation but I still feel like I might not have understood correctly (sorry). Please correct me where I am wrong: You are trying to change the colouring of the texture in your first picture to look similar to the "first cut" in your second picture? And then replace the first cut in the second picture? Or keep the 2nd picture first cut texture as it is and instead use the texture in the first picture to replace the deep rough in the second picture? Are you also interested in trying to change the deep rough in the 2nd picture to fit in better at the same time, to have options?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I like the Sage too.......LOL....!!!!!

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Adelade wrote: November 25th, 2020, 4:07 pm Before I answer... Theres probably nothing wrong with your explanation but I still feel like I might not have understood correctly (sorry). Please correct me where I am wrong: You are trying to change the colouring of the texture in your first picture to look similar to the "first cut" in your second picture? And then replace the first cut in the second picture? Or keep the 2nd picture first cut texture as it is and instead use the texture in the first picture to replace the deep rough in the second picture? Are you also interested in trying to change the deep rough in the 2nd picture to fit in better at the same time, to have options?
The 2nd thing. Keep the Links-screen-print picture first cut texture (which is regular rough) as it is and use the texture in the first picture to replace the deep rough in the Links-screen-print picture. Yes. I want to have the colors of the two (rough and deep rough) blend together better - still with some contrast, but better blending. (the deep rough in that Links-screen-print picture is actually that same texture that will have it's color changed. It was a deeper green originally but I've managed to change it a little.)

And secondly: Are you also interested in trying to change the deep rough in the 2nd picture to fit in better at the same time, to have options? Change how? What I was looking for was something that had the look of a mix of long grass and straw, and I planned to salt it with some 12" to 18" grass. Instead of putting it along every hole I planned to put it in strategic places - where the player might be trying to cut the dog-leg and fails to pull it off, or areas around greens for shots that went wide of their mark. The course is a bit easy, but I still didn't want it to be too penal like the US Open courses. What were you thinking about?

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Really sorry if Im overcomplicating things or just being plain stupid, but I want to give my best answer and dont think I can do that until I understand fully, maybe someone else who understands better will jump in and save you, in which case you're free to ignore me :tongue:
pmgolf wrote: November 25th, 2020, 7:13 pm The 2nd thing. Keep the Links-screen-print picture first cut texture (which is regular rough) as it is and use the texture in the first picture to replace the deep rough in the Links-screen-print picture. Yes. I want to have the colors of the two (rough and deep rough) blend together better - still with some contrast, but better blending.
Ok I understand that part, that should be possible to achieve, if you want I can give it a try myself if you send me the "first cut" texture and the one you want to use, or send me any course where they both are on (even if its nothing but a flat plot with 2 textures). I know you often like to learn how to do things yourself though (I approve of that) and I can try to describe my thoughts too, however I will say it often takes me a bit of trial and error myself, and I might be off when only going on what I try to make out from the pictures above.

I feel like it looks as if it needs a bluer hue, and perhaps less saturation (saturation I often think is particularly difficult to "see"). You seemed to be aware of the hue, so Im curious what made you feel like you didnt manage to get it right. Maybe you just didnt find the correct hue level? In some cases, if being picky, it can get trickier and this might be one of those instances, where a texture is made up of different colours and changing both at the same time will never make both fit in simultaneously... In that case, you could (in Photoshop anyway, I dont know about other software but chances are they could work pretty much the same) go into Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation > then select "Yellows" or "Greens" instead of "Master", at the bottom you'll see the range of colours your edits will apply to then. You can even click and drag the ranges to custom adjust the exact range of colours you want to edit. That way you can for example make the yellow grass more to the green side, without changing the colour of whats already green.

To me it looks like the brightness is already fairly close to the "first cut" texture, but normally you want the deep rough a little darker than the first cut to get it to look right. So Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast is one I use a lot too, and one you might want to experiment with. One can use the "Lightness" slider under hue/saturation instead for simplicity, but I always feel like the brightness setting gives slightly better results.
(the deep rough in that Links-screen-print picture is actually that same texture that will have it's color changed. It was a deeper green originally but I've managed to change it a little.)
I dont understand this part, same texture as which? It doesnt look like same texture as your first screenshot to me (even ignoring overall colour), but I suppose I could be wrong.
And secondly: Are you also interested in trying to change the deep rough in the 2nd picture to fit in better at the same time, to have options? Change how?
If it actually is the same texture as the first picture, then you can forget what I said about that. I thought you werent happy with the deep rough texture in the 2nd picture and therefore wanted it changed in some way. My only guess would be if you wanted it to have a more similar look to the first cut, otherwise I dont know.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Adelade, Of course I had to try that hue and saturation, and I managed to add some bluishness, but that wasn't it. I'll be interested in finding out what tools you use to manipulate color. It seems that I only know the most basic things.

I've got to set up 2 tournaments now, but I'm going to put some things together and send them to you in a PM. Thanks!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: November 26th, 2020, 12:35 am Adelade, Of course I had to try that hue and saturation, and I managed to add some bluishness, but that wasn't it. I'll be interested in finding out what tools you use to manipulate color. It seems that I only know the most basic things.

I've got to set up 2 tournaments now, but I'm going to put some things together and send them to you in a PM. Thanks!

Pete
Hi Pete. It sounds like you are trying to do the same thing I'm doing to Coeur d'Alene. I decided to make narrow strip of normal rough a few yards wide to surround the fairways, greens and bunkers, and then make an outer DEEP rough out past that. That way if you miss a fairway by a couple of yards, the punishment won't be as severe as a bigger miss. The way I chose to do it was to make an identical copy of my rough texture, and then using Paint Shop Pro I chose the "COLORS / ADJUST / BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST", and I simply darkened it by minus 10. I saw no need in changing any hue or colors. I simply darkened it a little bit to make it appear to be thicker or deeper grass. We could spend many hours deciding how you want your deep rough to look, but if you are using the same identical texture for your normal and deep roughs, then I see no need in changing their colors or hues. Just a minor darkening. I've never done this before, but this was how I chose to do CDL. I then added a seam blend between the normal rough and the deep rough, and used the same planar for both. You can then set the 2 texture properties as normal and deep rough and can see the difference in Links. Your lie indicator will show you which rough you are in if you are lying on a seam blend.

Hope that helped,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Dan, I'd like to look at the rough texture but I don't have a .tga or even a .jpg of it. It's inside the APCD in the list of textures with the name of "Quidnet rough". I haven't found the texture file where I can take it into Paint Shop Pro to do anything with it. Any ideas?

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: November 26th, 2020, 2:46 pm Dan, I'd like to look at the rough texture but I don't have a .tga or even a .jpg of it. It's inside the APCD in the list of textures with the name of "Quidnet rough". I haven't found the texture file where I can take it into Paint Shop Pro to do anything with it. Any ideas?

Pete
Hi Pete...

I checked my course collection and Quidnet shows as being a locked course.

Since you indicated that it's showing up in your APCD listed as "quidnet rough", I would have to assume that you, or someone else, found the actual "quidnet rough" texture and used it in the course that you are working on. If that is the case, then you should be able to retrieve an actual copy of the "quidnet rough" texture from your course using the Links Extender. That would mean you would need to open the course you are working on in the Links Extender and select the "quidnet rough" texture from the TGA list, and extract it to your hard drive. Doing so would get you a copy of it which you could then use to edit in PSP.

Just so you are aware, you CANNOT access any locked courses and retrieve files. So trying to get that "quidnet rough" directly from the locked Quidnet course is not an option.

If you need a copy of the Links Extender, you can download it here. Its at the bottom of the page
viewforum.php?f=16

viewtopic.php?p=460#p460
Here are instructions on how to use the Links Extender to locate and extract 2D objects and TGA's. This set of instructions was created to show how to extract 2D objects but you can follow the same instructions to extract TGA's, by choosing TGA's from the drop-down list. You can ignore all of the written instructions pertaining to 2D objects. Just look at the picture and in step 2, instead of selecting 2D objects from the drop-down list, select TGA files instead, and then browse thru them and locate "quidnet rough.TGA". Just a word of warning. After you extract it, the Extender will not give you any kind of confirmation that anything even happened. You will probably think it didn't work. Also, it will place the extracted file in a special folder that the Extender created SOMEWHERE on your hard drive, :smile: To locate the extracted file, do a Windows file search for the word "quidnet". That's the easiest way to find where it put it on your hard drive.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added