European Tour courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Stephen Sullivan

European Tour courses

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

European courses have always been in quite short supply, probably because of the lack of accurate height data.

I thought I would have a search for courses used on the European Tour https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=A ... ent=psy-ab
and going through the list at the top of the page there are very few that actually excite me as a designer(to spend my time on them) or player. I feel that many are newer courses, almost manufactured if you like for tour play, or built through resorts, which don't really do anything for me.

Will have to think long and hard about what I do next, but it must be something that isn't for the US PGA Tour, as there are loads of courses for that.
Adelade

Re: European Tour courses

Post by Adelade »

I remember checking out the Czech one a while back, Albatross Golf Club, and quite liking what I saw. It also seemed to have a decent amount of material available like flyovers, pictures and some google "street" views from play areas. However even if I end up choosing it as my next real course after Nine Bridges (which feels unlikely) it would still probably take me another 4 years or something for another real course release I bet... so I would only be happy if someone else took it on. The Turkish one you mentioned recently also seemed nice. Either way I look forward to seeing what you go with, glad you are at least considering making more real courses :cheers1:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

Not sure how real I would be able to make them. They are so time-consuming to do compared to imaginary courses :whistle:

I've actually put the overhead from GE of Albatross in APCD (remembering to turn off elevation before taking the screenshot this time).
It's not "speaking" to me as a layout at the moment though. I actually prefer my courses with a few more trees.
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

It would be wonderful for more European Tour courses to be added!
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

I did Crans Montana some time ago and that could certainly do with a rework. Basics are all there. Same with Gardagolf (Italian Open),Italian Ryder Cup Course 2022, and Madeira Golf (Madeira Open). All are unlocked and you're more than welcome to modify. Also Le Golf National at Versailles has been done. Couple of other good ones to do are Fasterbo in Sweden and Dutch Open Course (can't remember its name).

Cheers

John Brooks
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

brooks2345 wrote: October 20th, 2020, 10:21 pm I did Crans Montana some time ago and that could certainly do with a rework. Basics are all there. Same with Gardagolf (Italian Open),Italian Ryder Cup Course 2022, and Madeira Golf (Madeira Open). All are unlocked and you're more than welcome to modify. Also Le Golf National at Versailles has been done. Couple of other good ones to do are Fasterbo in Sweden and Dutch Open Course (can't remember its name).
John as you know Gardagolf and Marco Simone are ones I have my eye on getting around to updating eventually at some point - Im certainly not calling dibs but if anyone should start a rework of them please at least let me know - and I've meant to ask you for a while, out of curiosity, what do you tend to base your elevations off of?

Isnt Dutch Open The Amsterdam International? Im not sure but if so, it's already made, and in pretty good condition too (apart from a couple holes only featuring one pin for some reason). Would of course not mind at all seeing Falsterbo made : )
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

Adelade wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:50 am Isnt Dutch Open The Amsterdam International? Im not sure but if so, it's already made, and in pretty good condition too (apart from a couple holes only featuring one pin for some reason). Would of course not mind at all seeing Falsterbo made : )
Yes it is. Use it on the European Tour at LSPN.
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

OK, the Dutch Open Course I was talking about is Kennemer (a Harry Colt course), which is set amongst the sandhills at the back of the Zandvoort F1 Grand Prix Circuit. The Dutch Open is usually played the week after the Open.

I usually use GE(sometimes an older version if it's more clear - doing this you can create any Course, even if it's closed since 1990) to get elevationss, but I usually only do greens fairways, bunkers tees paths and streams, then just slope in from hole to hole unless there's a blatantly large object which has to be included at the right height (when you're playing, what the eye doesn't see........). I usually chop off most of the external bits of the Course that don't contain holes (less planting and height adjustment - just leave the pano to sort this out). I usually use GE to get the correct layout and positioning of tees, fairways, greens, bunkers, paths and streams (after checking for Course Dimensions and Average Elevation), then adjust for correct heights, then plant, then convert to Links fomat.

Cheers

John Brooks :tongue:
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

I also did Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus sometime ago - I see that the European Tour also goes there now.

Cheers

John Brooks
LothianRyan

Post by LothianRyan »

Currently having a go at doing the Scottish Open course Gullane. It’s my first APCD and it might take me a while. Thank you to Lez Marwick for the amazing tutorials on YouTube.