APCD really annoyed me last night!

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: APCD really annoyed me last night!

Post by Adelade »

I realize I misspoke as well Im sorry, the part about everything getting messed up in the first place is not something I would have expected just because of deleting a texture, I've deleted textures as well on occasion, but perhaps never while the texture was being used. But I could see in what way APCD might mess up because of it and the effects on the course files and user.lib that you described. Im guessing APCD lost the correct order of textures in its library because of one going missing.

Glad it got sorted
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Be aware that loading a different course into APCD will have the same effect of screwing up texture properties if it adds new textures to your user.lib. The user.lib needs to match the library saved with the course. Always move your user.lib out of the APCD folder before loading anything different into APCD... that way you can keep a different user.lib for each course you're working on. You just have to remember to make sure you are on the correct user.lib before you start working, because once you save the course any issues are saved with it. I normally have a different APCD install for each course so I don't have to switch user.libs.
You can normally delete custom textures at the bottom of your list without issue, but if they are further up the list they can corrupt the ones below, if I am remembering correctly. The same problem can occur when deleting plants from your planting set... it can screw up all the plants after the one you delete. I think I used to delete the whole category and then re-add the ones I wanted, to fix this, but don't quote me..... my memory may be getting this wrong.
I had issues myself when I turned the pano on when working on Crouching Beast.... it screwed up seam blends because I had forgotten that was a problem, but I solved it by turning off the pano and going back to the previous save and user.lib.

Keeping a backup of your user.lib is always good practice in case disasters occur, and they always seem to if you're unprepared!!
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:25 am If Im ever in that situation again, I will make sure I replace the texture or seam blend with my new one BEFORE I delete the old one. Lesson learned.

Cheers, AJ
I was always afraid to delete textures. I heard it can mess things up. What I normally do is reprogram them and assign them some kind of a texture I don't use, and rename them "UNUSED". It will still leave the texture in the list, but if its not programmed for anything, the APCD will not save it into your CRZ and add to the file size. If the texture has some active program assignment, (such as being added to an active path or multiple or something) then the APCD will include it in the CRZ file during a V&S... Also, if you leave it there, there's always a chance that somewhere along the line you may need to clone another texture, and you can just re-use one of the ones you changed to "UNUSED"... I know it adds to the overall list, but in the long run, it's the safest way to deal with it. My personal opinion, of course... :whistle: :smile:

Hope that helps,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added