3D off plot?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

3D off plot?

Post by AJ Allen »

Do most people do their 3D work off plot and then move it into position once it's finished? I found that when I move a building, all the planars break, and I have to redo them. Things like windows not being correct, or roof tiles pointing the way they did offplot, but the final location might not be pointing in the exact same direction, so they run off at an angle.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just what happens? Slowly getting the nag of it, but 3D is hard. Still, practice makes perfect I hope. :dunno:
Managed to get guttering and edgeing on roofs today, so that was an achievement for me.

Cheers, AJ
Adelade

Re: 3D off plot?

Post by Adelade »

How I've done it since the first time I did any custom 3D buildings, is based on what Dan recommended in his 3D tutorial - Work off plot until the 3D is complete then move it to its final position and work on textures or at least mappings thereafter.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

I have to admit I almost always build on plot. But yep, build off plot and then place it, then map it. Otherwise the texture maps reference your coordinates to your off plot xy coordinates and it's all mucked up when the surfaces are shifted to new locations. Found that out when I built a 3d bridge for a course off plot then moved it!
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

What seems to work for me (so far!) is to put the building where I want it. Then I extrude it and lift it straight up into the sky, just using the z axis.

Then I do my thing up there, and drop it straight down again. That way, the north is always exactly to the north and my mappings are still correct. I started off doing it the way I seen in Dan's videos, but I just can't seem to get the hang of working with just a frame, I feel more comfortable when I can see textures, which are mapped.

So the way Im doing it is a bit of a compromise. But works for me, so far at least.

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: June 29th, 2020, 2:22 pm Am I doing something wrong, or is this just what happens? Slowly getting the nag of it, but 3D is hard. Still, practice makes perfect I hope. :dunno:
Managed to get guttering and edgeing on roofs today, so that was an achievement for me.

Cheers, AJ
No, you're not doing anything wrong. When you create a planar and assign it to a texture, and then adjust it, it leaves that planar in a stationary position everywhere within the APCD world (and tiles it). After that when you move the 3D structure, the planar position stays positioned the way you originally set it and that planar will be tiled just like a grass texture. So when you move the 3D structure, you must readjust the planar position to match up with the new position of the 3D object. (If that makes sense). The best way to avoid having to do it twice is to wait until you move the structure into its final position BEFORE you apply the texture and it's planar.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

I'd recommend always build off plot and don't feel constrained to keep the object as one piece, use separate shapes to create your object and it will be easier in many if not all cases.

Dan gives a good detailed explanation but I'll add it you build off plot and map at either locations depending on the detail,

If off plot mapping is the chioce, once the object is in place
-select mapping from a face and center mapping, the mapping will snap to your previous off plot look.

Very simple.