APCD issues:red grass and no foresting

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
72Animal

Re: APCD issues:red grass and no foresting

Post by 72Animal »

Alright, I've pretty much spent hours trying to solve issues. The end result seems to be that nothing works to bring back my foresting capability in the APCD. I've manipulated library files and planting sets. Deleted and copied files into the VirtualStore. Gone back to old copies of the course file. I even uninstalled everything and reinstalled the APCD...and to my surprise, that did nothing! The most curious thing is that an APCD install on my wife's Win 10 laptop forests just fine. And an older one on my Vista machine does it too. I'm stumped and frustrated.

I'm going to take some files that Stephen Sullivan sent me and other plant files I have to try to get grass files that don't have the red issue and I'll try to replant the whole damn course using my wife's laptop or my Vista machine.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm very grateful!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Running without admin didnt work either? Asking since you didnt specifically mention it among the other things you had tried. I would have thought reinstalling would help too though... thats indeed strange, exactly what happens when you try to forest plant? And can you plant individual objects fine? Im sorry if its obvious/silly advice: but remember to make sure you have 2D objects turned on as visible within APCD :unsure:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi Adelade, yup first thing I tried was run without admin and it didn't bring foresting back, but neither did the new install. Basically all the issues you and Dan had are happening. I can create a shape, select in the plant tab (yup, I have 2d objects on in the viewport...wouldn't that have a been a kicker!) I select forest plant and a footage to plant at and press forest. Nothing shows up. Except, when I check the Course Details it lists a number for 2d objects planted. I even did one hole and validated it and put in Links, just in case it was only in the designer that the 2d wasn't showing. Nope, the forest behind the little par I made has nothing. I even hit into the area in case they were physically registering but not rendering...didn't hit any trees or branches. Weird, I know.
MrMoggie

Post by MrMoggie »

Instead of uninstall/reinstall, have you tried copying an existing version of APCD and then running that copy without administrator privileges?

That worked once for me

Steve
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sure sounds frustrating... Planting one individual object at a time works? It did for me back when I had the issue. Cant think of anything else except maybe if the object in question is set to 0 size or something... Or maybe corrupt library in some way, if planting individual objects doesnt work either. But then reinstall would have fixed it surely....

Edit: perhaps they end up in the sky or below the surface for some reason, does it happen on more than just one course? (sorry in case you already said that, I dont remember reading it anyway)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: I find this post very interesting, as I have had all sorts of problems
with planting sets and corrupt objects. You say that if you select the red grass
it doe's not show in the planting window. This is a sure sign that the object is
corrupt and no amount of tweeking it in photoshop will cure it. get rid of it and
see if you can get the same grass from another sourse. I have had corrupt 2D
objects imported from courses done be really top class designers. If I see some
Plant I like I import it, the only time I test it is when I come to use it, if you use
a corrupt object it will give trouble somewhere along the line and spoil the course
Now to your planting issue of not being able to plant. Some time ago I was given
a course to look at that had the same problem of not being able to plant objects
I will explain what solved the problem for me ,but as we all know what works for
one don't for others. Thats the joy of the APCD.
First I made a copy of the course and then box selected the entire plot to highlight
the 2D objects, I then used the red cross and deleted. So far so good no plants
showed up on the entire course but I still could not plant anything
I then checked the course details and it said that there were hundreds of objects
still planted on the course even though none showed up
The next step was to try a different method of deleting, Again I box selected
the entire course but this time I clicked on Select at the top left and then All and
deleted again using the red cross. This time the course details came up clear and
I had no problems with planting. For some reason just useing the red cross to
delete did not clear everything out. where the hidden objects came from I have
no idea, If you would like to try this, I would be interesed to know the results.
To my simple way of thinking the fault lies within the CRZ file you have created
and reinstalling the APCD or other suggestions will not clear the fault in the CRZ
When you load it in it will still be there, I hope these rambling might be helpful
Derrick
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

derricksummers wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:16 pmYou say that if you select the red grass it doe's not show in the planting window. This is a sure sign that the object is corrupt
I have to slightly correct this part Derrick, selected objects not showing up in the planting window is a sure sign that the object is either corrupted or else simply not included in the current planting set. An object can still function fine without it being in the planting set, as long as it was originally planted without issues and then not tampered with while not being in the planting set. (I actually think scaling and moving an object not within the planting set still works without issue but I have no proof to show)
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: Thanks for adding what I failed to explain, yes a plant will not
show up in the planting window if its been planted and either removed from
the set or a different set is brought in. In my case I only use one set and do
one course at a time. so if it doe's not show up in the window it's corrupt.
:yes:
Derrick