Quintero Golf Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Quintero Golf Club

Post by sagevanni »

Hi everyone,
A new course I'm working on. It's growing on me is all I can say. I HATE DOING CART PATHS....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash: I might be able to plant this one by my lonesome. We will see..............
quintero-1.JPG
quintero-1.JPG (293.87 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Sage..... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
sagevanni

Re: Quintero Golf Club

Post by sagevanni »

Hi everyone,
Cart paths complete. :clapping:
quintero-2.JPG
quintero-2.JPG (243.26 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Sage....... :cheers1:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Is it a sin to omit cart paths from a Links course? They're a blight to the eye and a pain to the designer. Who would complain if they weren't there? I understand the need to be accurate to the real thing, but, really, would anyone miss 'em?

They should be removed from all real life golf courses too. Make them all walking only, no more power carts. (That'll be the day, I know.)
dko

Post by dko »

It looks like Sage was pretty happy with this aspect of his build. Plus, they sometimes help those of us who "misdirect" our drives "on occasion." :whistle:
Doug
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

They could always turn the storage buildings into curling clubs...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

migolfer wrote: May 21st, 2024, 2:49 am Is it a sin to omit cart paths from a Links course? They're a blight to the eye and a pain to the designer. Who would complain if they weren't there? I understand the need to be accurate to the real thing, but, really, would anyone miss 'em?

They should be removed from all real life golf courses too. Make them all walking only, no more power carts. (That'll be the day, I know.)
I agree completely :smile:

That being said, when I made Nine Bridges, I originally planned to omit the cart paths, I kept telling myself that I really, really dont want to spend time making them, and that it will be completely fine without them. If I hadnt mentioned anything about it, no one would even have noticed them missing I bet. But in the end it just felt awkward and incomplete to skip them, and I ended up somewhat reluctantly doing them after all... I know there were times while I worked on them that I regretted it, but after they were all done did I regret it? I dont know... I dont think I do. But thats only because I completed the course, I know that there is a staggering amount of unfinished abandoned courses out there that various designers poured lots of hours into and they'll never see the light of day, just because it takes so much work to complete them, and I think that is just so sad. So if any designer wishes to omit cart paths, I truly hope they feel like they can.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

by migolfer » Tue May 21, 2024 3:49 am

Is it a sin to omit cart paths from a Links course?
Before Linkster started to provide the DEM/LIDAR I always started a course by building the cart paths as I used them as a reference to set the elevations. Obviously that is no longer required but I still prefer to build them into a course, as I feel it provides a frame of the hole. (My cart paths are not the same caliber as Sages's and the other designers. Dan's even include the tyre marks, which looks fantastic, but must takes hours.)

As has been often stated on this forum, it is the choice of the designer, and I doubt that many players will notice if they are omitted.

Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Ian, I always do the cart paths 1st. It's just gets them out of the way and as you stated, a lot of them are integral to the layout of the course.

I also agree that cart paths should not exist as migolfer said.

Sage...... :cheers1:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Progress.....................
quintero-1.JPG
quintero-1.JPG (154.32 KiB) Viewed 791 times
quintero-2.JPG
quintero-2.JPG (149.17 KiB) Viewed 791 times
quintero-3.JPG
quintero-3.JPG (104.89 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Sage....... :cheers1:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

migolfer..........how old are you again ? Once you turn 72 or older get back to me on "walking courses only" ! Hey, I'm all for staying pretty healthy and "in shape", but right now it's a bit stressful walking only 9. I could never manage 18 without a cart. As far as LINKS designs are concerned, sometime the cart paths seem to be pretty unobtrusive, other times not. Depends on both the course and the designer. Bottom line to me is.....like it or not ,they are usually there and for the sake of realism......what can ya do ?

It's great that you're doing Quintero, Sage !! :tiphat:

Ron