Links goes buggy

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
GoBucks

Re: Links goes buggy

Post by GoBucks »

We need more information.
I had an inspiron that I purchased in '08 with Vista installed. And, yes, Links worked fine with Vista. I was able to upgrade the os to W7, but it did not pass the compatibility test for W10. That's why I'm wondering if his is as old as I think it is. And mine came with a graphics card. I'm interested in Jimmy's response. We are all making some assumptions here.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I mean it sounds like he already tried Links on his PC after upgrading to Win 10, that surely means the PC had to have been compatible with Win 10?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

While we're on the subject if you recall my Windows 7 died about a year ago. I reloaded it to my new Windows 10 with no problem except if I try to change the sky I crash. Is this a Windows 10 thing? It didn't happen on my old computer.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: February 15th, 2024, 8:22 pm I mean it sounds like he already tried Links on his PC after upgrading to Win 10, that surely means the PC had to have been compatible with Win 10?
Good point.
No matter where you go, there you are.
tournamentplayer72

Post by tournamentplayer72 »

Hello everyone, it's working. I cannot thank everyone enough that contributed their expertise. It is a heartwarming experience to see how caring you all were to my plight. I will be forever grateful for knowledge you have taught me. Now I am heading to download some courses to play. Again, thank you.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

tournamentplayer72 wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:46 am Hello everyone, it's working. I cannot thank everyone enough that contributed their expertise. It is a heartwarming experience to see how caring you all were to my plight. I will be forever grateful for knowledge you have taught me. Now I am heading to download some courses to play. Again, thank you.
Thats great, what was it that got it working? It gets easier to help people with issues in the future if you let us know.

Jimbo I can change skies fine on Win 10. Does it crash the same moment you change the sky or slightly afterwards? How many sky files do you have in your folder?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Adelade wrote: February 17th, 2024, 9:00 am
tournamentplayer72 wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:46 am Hello everyone, it's working.
Thats great, what was it that got it working? It gets easier to help people with issues in the future if you let us know.

Jimbo I can change skies fine on Win 10. Does it crash the same moment you change the sky or slightly afterwards? How many sky files do you have in your folder?
wow - glad it worked for you :pcwhack:

But for people who aren't so lucky, perhaps more information would be helpful.

I really don't know anything about your system, OS ? CPU ? GPU ? patch? :dunno:

Jimbo - no sky problems here with Win10 either
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

For the record only!
I have some minor problems with windows 11 in general, and one minor problem with links 2003. That Links problem is, every so often (sometimes maybe twice in a game or other times on average, maybe once in 5 games it crashes).
However, Links appears to have been designed by a gentleman, and after a crash I get the message "Links has determined that your game was interrupted, would you like to resume your game - YES/NO?)". Selecting YES allows you to replay the crashed shot and continue. That's pretty amazing for a game that I bought in Sept. 2002 and still has not been replaced by anything technically (as just described) or visually (if you are still playing, you are seeing the still pretty detailed visuals). Amazing!. :smile: :cheers1:

Dave :notworthy:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile: