Linkster's LIDAR tutorial

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ponkey

Linkster's LIDAR tutorial

Post by ponkey »

Hi all

been away for a while.
Has Linkster published his LIDAR tutorial yet?
I really think it could revolutionise course production.

Peter
ponkey

Re: Linkster's LIDAR tutorial

Post by ponkey »

Are there any courses that have been made using Linkster's technique?
Thanks
Peter
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Peter,
I believe that all of the courses released by Sage in 2023 were built from downloads from Linkster downloads, and the National Golf Links of America by Glenn.

I have rendered Mountaintop Golf and Lake Club and Crooked Stick using a LIDAR download from Linkster. I am also very near to releasing The Golf Club at Black Rock.

Ian
linkster

Post by linkster »

I started to write the tutorial for hi-res DEM imports but I set it aside in favour of working in the APCD on courses I want to see finished. I have been able to keep up with any course requests designers have made and haven't had any requests for a while now so I wasn't sure if there was much interest in a tutorial. There are a lot of DEM imports out there I have done that haven't made it to completion (yet). I don't think it is a stretch to say that the majority of real courses created now are from a hi-res DEM import.

The problem is that there are not many designers using 20 year old software for golf courses. I have investigated the course designers for the newer golf games and simulators out there but I have not been impressed and keep coming back to the APCD. The most promising "newest" course designer is the Open Platform Course Designer (OPCD) but there are multiple steps and programs used in the processes. These courses are used in GSPro golf simulators or only rendered visuals and not a PC golf game. The DEM import process into the APCD is actually very simply compared to the process the OPCD designers are doing.

If there is a golf course you want a DEM for I will gladly do it for you. If you prefer to do the import process yourself I can walk you through it personally. I will do the tutorial for the process if there is someone interested in the community.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im not interested in doing any DEM course in the near future, but I would be interested in a toturial, because I might want to make a DEM course sometime in the further future - especially if LIDAR data from places outside of USA becomes more and more available (which it probably will). It would be sad if we as a community lose the ability to make DEM courses if a day comes when you're no longer around.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi Linkster

I'd love a tutorial.

I think it's a revolutionary idea and a step forward for Links 2003.
I agree with you about other games. They do not seem anywhere near as good as Links and the APCD despite its age seems pretty good still.
I've downloaded and played your Augusta and Ian Wells' MountainTop and Crooked Stick and they seem so natural!
Would certainly appreciate a tutorial if poss.

Many thanks
Peter
linkster

Post by linkster »

I should have some time available this January so I'll get the tutorial done. To me it seems like the hi-res DEM import was the missing piece when building real courses in the APCD and I am happy to help.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

:thumbup:
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

I kinda like the idea of you doing them Linkster - particularly as you seem to enjoy it. Not because I don't want to learn, but because it means that we (as a result) finally have a single contact point who knows who is working on what.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Colin Jones wrote: December 30th, 2023, 11:25 pm I kinda like the idea of you doing them Linkster - particularly as you seem to enjoy it. Not because I don't want to learn, but because it means that we (as a result) finally have a single contact point who knows who is working on what.
Good point Colin :thumbup: