Creating 3D Building Objects

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Volorgas

Creating 3D Building Objects

Post by Volorgas »

How does one create 3D building objects for planting onto an APCD course? Is there a tutorial or series of Youtube videos that I can check out to learn this skill? Thanks.
Danny D

Re: Creating 3D Building Objects

Post by Danny D »

Volorgas wrote: December 8th, 2023, 8:57 pm How does one create 3D building objects for planting onto an APCD course? Is there a tutorial or series of Youtube videos that I can check out to learn this skill? Thanks.
Creating your own 3D objects and importing them into the APCD for "planting" on different courses is an extremely complicated and difficult task unless you have the knowledge and skills to work with older 3D graphics programs that have the ability to create and export "X" files or "XYZ" files. It's hard to find anyone these days that is still knowledgeable and skilled in that process. I've looked into it several times but have always went away more frustrated and confused each time. :bookh: :dunno: :surrender:

If you only want to create specific 3D Objects to use on a course that you are designing, you can build them using the terrain from your course. That is what we do nowadays. If you learn to use that method, you can build just about anything, but it has to stay in that specific course. Exporting it to other courses is pretty much out of the question.

I have no idea what your APCD skill levels are, but a few years ago I created a video tutorial on how to build a simple 3D house out of the terrain. It will give you an idea about what's involved in building 3D objects within your own course. Here's the link if you want to give it a look.

viewtopic.php?p=1134#p1134

Good luck...

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yeah, most likely not worth the trouble to create 3D objects (as opposed to custom 3D from terrain like in Dan's link above) unless you already have experience working with 3D design programs and/or are interested in the long-term benefit of the objects - once finished - being easily used on multiple courses.

But... if you really want to dive into it, there is some good info about it in this thread, especially towards the later parts of the thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=205

If you're looking to replicate one building many times on one same course file, the 3D clone tool is handy. You basically build one house (or anything) from terrain like in Dan's link and then you can for the most part copypaste it several times within the same course file. If thats what you need, let us know.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Volorgas

Post by Volorgas »

Thanks Dan and thanks Adelade. I will check out the other methods but I would still like to try to learn or develop a method of creating 3D objects for planting in APCD. I am an architect of considerable age with extensive skills using 3D modelling programs for creating 3D content. Therefore, I would like to learn more about the .XYZ file type and the programs used to create those objects. My hope is to create a way to use current technology to build the models and then somehow translate that content to the .XYZ file type.

Any additional insights or historical data on the process for developing .XYZ content would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Volorgas wrote: December 9th, 2023, 4:33 pm Thanks Dan and thanks Adelade. I will check out the other methods but I would still like to try to learn or develop a method of creating 3D objects for planting in APCD. I am an architect of considerable age with extensive skills using 3D modelling programs for creating 3D content. Therefore, I would like to learn more about the .XYZ file type and the programs used to create those objects. My hope is to create a way to use current technology to build the models and then somehow translate that content to the .XYZ file type.

Any additional insights or historical data on the process for developing .XYZ content would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Best of luck to you. With your skills, you may be able to understand it better than most. I was always interested in creating a fleet of simplistic automobiles to plant in the parking lots around the clubhouses. I've always thought it looks kinda strange to go through all of the trouble to build clubhouses and not see any cars in the parking lots. 2D autos would rotate depending on the viewing direction, so there would be no way to make them look right in a parking lot, and it would be a lot of work to build a fleet of different cars and trucks of various colors out of terrain.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added