Windows 11 anti-virus

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Duck Hook

Windows 11 anti-virus

Post by Duck Hook »

Nothing to do with Links or the APCD but was wondering if windows 11 users on here install third party anti-virus or rely soley on windows defender?
I have used chrome and norton for donkeys years but will probably stick with edge for a while in windows 11. Microsoft, of course, tell me the latest, greatest defender is more than adequate but I have my doubts.
Yes, I have researched online but would rather hear from someone on here who has experience with this issue as I would trust them not to bullshit me.

:cheers1:
T
Big Sexy JC

Re: Windows 11 anti-virus

Post by Big Sexy JC »

I haven't installed 3rd party AV software dating back to WIndows 8 and haven't had any issues. It might also depend on how sketchy of websites you visit and your carelessness of opening attachments, etc., but no issues so far on my end.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yeah, Ok.
Interesting to hear. I don't do sketchy sites and am careful so no worries there.

T
Oortcloud

Post by Oortcloud »

I have not used Defender since I installed W10 a couple of years ago. No problem.

//Martin
Last edited by Oortcloud on November 22nd, 2023, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've always heard that Norton is a resource hog. I use Defender, and also MalwareBytes.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Can confirm that it is widely accepted these days that Defender is enough for most people, but Big Sexy JC hits the nail on the head - depends how many risks you take, and also on the value and sensitivity of the information you keep on the system/s, and I suppose also how many enemies you might have... If some random guy with an average amount of brain cells decides to dedicate their whole life to hacking you, most likely they will succeed no matter what you do. I think the best defense against that is to simply not be rich or famous lol. The delivery of security options for average users is more or less a dying business that they try their hardest to cling onto, but they can still provide some useful services, I think the most notable example is VPNs.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I've used AVG for years with no issue. Doesn't seem to eat up resources.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Adelade wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 5:36 pm I think the best defense against that is to simply not be rich or famous lol.

Hahahahahaha, that just confirms me as the least likely internet user on earth to be hacked... :laugh:

No worries gents, thanks for the replies

T