planting sounds ???

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Duck Hook

planting sounds ???

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi all

I am trying to plant sounds and sofar it's a big wall of silence.

I have looked at Lez's video, thought I did everything as needed, nothing...

Any tips?

Also Lez speaks about planting your global sound first. Is a global ( course wide ) sound a neccesity ? I would prefer to just add a few local sounds.

Thanks
T
:cheers1:
Adelade

Re: planting sounds ???

Post by Adelade »

Do you have ambient sounds turned on in Links' Sounds settings?

Are you sure the volume is simply not just too low? I remember I had some trouble getting a quiet sound to get louder the first time I added sounds, the volume setting within APCD felt like it didnt make any difference at all, and when i tried editing the WAV file for more volume, it didnt change anything either until I realized one has to load it into APCD under a new filename for any changes to take effect.

I dont think you need a global sound.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Adelade wrote: September 30th, 2023, 1:01 pm Do you have ambient sounds turned on in Links' Sounds settings?
Hi mate

Ahhh, didn't think about that. Actually it would be fair to say I forgot about those settings completely. Just checked, and what a surprise they are turned off..... :whistle:

I will try it again, thanks Adelade...

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yeah, that was it. But I also realized why I had ambient sounds turned off.

With ambient sounds turned on there is a continuous background noise, like say near the ocean or a wind that does not stop. The sounds I added do work but this continuous noise makes it unbearable. It doesn't make any difference if there are no sounds planted at all. With ambient sounds turned on there is always this continuous noise.

Guess I just got so used to playing without ambient sounds I forgot all about this issue. Dunno :dunno:

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

It's wierd. This sound is totally random. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I tried multiple courses and it's the same with each course. Sometimes the noise is there, sometimes it's not. I assume it's something to do with my system, dunno :dunno:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

All I have to say is I love APCD......... :fear:

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi mate

I don't think in this case it's the APCD. It's a random thing. I tried Sequoyah and it was normal, I tried again and the noise was there. Same with half a dozen or so more courses. Has to be something with my system. Just makes it a pain in the ass testing sounds..... :wallbash: I have had this issue for so long I completely forgot all about it.... :laugh:

T
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I'm about to give up on sounds on Harding Park, they work sometimes, when I want them, nothing, cant hear the water, cant hear the ambient birds
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Duck Hook wrote: September 30th, 2023, 3:07 pm Hi mate

I don't think in this case it's the APCD. It's a random thing. I tried Sequoyah and it was normal, I tried again and the noise was there. Same with half a dozen or so more courses. Has to be something with my system. Just makes it a pain in the ass testing sounds..... :wallbash: I have had this issue for so long I completely forgot all about it.... :laugh:

T
Hi DH...

I have an ASUS ROG motherboard with SoundMAX audio, and there are some features in the SoundMAX control panel that enhance various computer sounds. One of those settings on my system causes a "hiss" in Links when I have sounds enabled. You might see if something like that is enabled and causing an issue. That's the only thing that comes to mind by the way you described it.

Good luck,

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi Danny

Yes, an issue with Links and my audio hardware/settings seems the most likely cause. What you say sounds very similar to what I am experiencing, I guess a process of elimination will sort it out should this prove to be the case.

T