Install on Windows 11 Home (Version 22H2)

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Bit Left

Install on Windows 11 Home (Version 22H2)

Post by Bit Left »

Adelade, my muse and guru of many things Links, encouraged me to post what I hope may - for someone, at some time - be a helpful “current state of affairs” summary related to installing Links 2003 on a recently acquired desktop. Being only somewhat fluent in the Language of Tech I will do my best to include the salient pieces as clearly as possible. My apologies in advance to the TMI Group – you can always stop reading and press on.

The System
ASUS ROG Strix Gaming Desktop (G10CE)
11th Generation Intel Core i7 – 11700 @ 2.50 GHz (this chip dates back to 2021)
32 MB RAM installed across 4 DDR4 U-DIMM slots – upgraded from 16 MB
512 GB SSD Drive
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 GPU

Monitor
MSI G272QPF 27” 16:9 Rapid IPS Gaming Monitor
170 Hz 1ms, 2560 x 1440 (QHD), G Sync

Not that it matters(?) but I did the Links install logged in as the “Microsoft Account/Admin User”. The one I was forced to create when I first fired up the computer, as Windows 11 Home won’t accept anything less than a Microsoft Account during the initial go. I now have my alternate “Local/Admin Rights” user calling the shots (in Links and elsewhere).

I largely followed the batting order outlined by GoBucks in his [Re: Installation problems] post from July 2016. Sorry I don’t have the link to paste in. Easily found with Search. BUT – I encountered some bumps along the way, so what you see here is my actual order of install:

1. Install Links – as in Links2k3_Down.exe
2. Install the Players – as in Links2K3_Players.exe
3. Install the Nvidia patch – as in Links2k3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe
4. Install Links Final – as in Links2k3_107_Final.exe
5. Install Career Mode patch – as in virttour.dll – tried to copy over but was told it was already on board.
6. Install Links Courses – as in Links2K3_Courses.exe

Now comes the guessing part – how much detail to provide kind of depends on the audience, eh what? How be I try to focus on what started to go off the tracks and how I (luckily) managed to get it back on.

Install Links – Set Up Wizard did its thing. Default install to Program Files x86. Message: an App on your PC needs Windows feature Direct Play. Installed OK. Windows Defender allowed access to Drive Networks. So far so good. I have no idea. I just say Yes, Bill.

Install the Players – the install was fine, but at the end Windows keenly asks if I want to open/run the Players pack. I opted for No, just let me get on with the rest of it.

[Aside: At this point I next tried to install Links2k3_107_Final – my panic notes won’t add anything to your “experience”, but just so you know that was the plan. Let’s just say it didn’t happen.]

Install the Nvidia patch – like the previous two, no problems.

Install Links Final – (second attempt) went into Properties > Compatibility Mode > chose Windows 7. This worked. For me that’s a rare thing.

Install Links Courses – same as the first 3. No fuss.

Then clicked on the desktop shortcut and what do you know, Links is born.

Important to Note: I was able to get confirmation that there would be no point in having either the LSPN ‘main patch’ or the Rukshuk file installed, so that’s why they aren’t figuring in this account of things.

As far as Display goes I’ll be up front and tell you that I haven’t gone thru every possible offering to see how things look. In Links both the “Full Screen” and “Window Display Mode” include the following:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024 - I have made this my Go To setting.
1280 x 720
1280 x 768
1280 x 800
1280 x 960

Each of the above is offered in 16b and 32b. I’ve played a couple of rounds, Saved Shots, Saved a Game, Set up a Computer Player. I think I’m in the clear. Have yet to bring in any of the APCD Collection. And haven’t set up HDR in Windows 11 yet. Just waiting to try that and blow the whole thing away.

Over to you.
Last edited by Bit Left on September 12th, 2023, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelade

Re: Install on Windows 11 Home (Version 22H2)

Post by Adelade »

Great that it works :thumbup:

One thing to note:
Install Career Mode patch – as in virttour.dll – tried to copy over but was told it was already on board.
If you said no when it asked if you wanted to replace the file, that means you dont have the Career Mode Fix implemented. The new virttour.dll file is a slightly altered file thats supposed to replace the old. Not needed if not playing Career Mode though.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

Adelade wrote: September 12th, 2023, 6:24 am Great that it works :thumbup:

One thing to note:
Install Career Mode patch – as in virttour.dll – tried to copy over but was told it was already on board.
If you said no when it asked if you wanted to replace the file, that means you dont have the Career Mode Fix implemented. The new virttour.dll file is a slightly altered file thats supposed to replace the old. Not needed if not playing Career Mode though.

:thumbup: The Maestro is on the case. I have homework to do! Was planning on continuing some Career Mode aspirations. Thanks for the tip. Don
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Is it possible to get more info the verttour.dll (location to get it, and where in Links files to find it and to put it)? I have been playing Links on Windows 11 since the initial release. Only early problem was every update set all of my settings back to defaults. This issue apparently was fixed by Microsoft, as after several months, the problem disappeared. However, later in Links, when I decided start a career I was unable to play with a virtual player. I could not putt out. The ball always stayed on the edge of the hole and each retry just added a stroke. No problem playing alone, so I was thinking that problem may also be related to the version I have of that .dll file.

Thanks in advance Dave :cheers1:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Can get it here (the download link below where it says "Career Mode Update for v1.07" in bold):
https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107

You put it (overwrite the old one) in the main Links folder, wherever you installed it, so that virttour.dll lies in the same folder as LinksMMIII.exe

Im not sure that it fixes the issues you mention, but perhaps.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...