Sod Faced Pot Bunkers

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Brandywine

Sod Faced Pot Bunkers

Post by Brandywine »

Greetings. It's been a while since I've been here (life happens), but I'm back at it and require some design assistance.

I'm trying to construct pot bunker with sod walls. I'm following the "APCD from Start to Finish" guide, and...it's not working out. :wallbash: :wallbash: I'm not too well versed on mappings, and yes, I've also seen the mapping videos by Les. They aren't much help for this, unless I'm missing something. Any help in pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Kevin
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev
Adelade

Re: Sod Faced Pot Bunkers

Post by Adelade »

Is it only the mappings being the problem or something else too? Cylindrical mappings tend to work fairly well with potbunkers if they're circular or oval in shape. I can maybe show some images or give better instructions later today unless someone else does.

Welcome back :cheers1:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I can describe the process better with the help of the picture below.

-First go to the tab Terrain, then the sub-tab Face, then select the tool "Texture Coordinate Mapping" (see three red boxes which lack numbers at the top in the picture).

-Then 1. New mapping , then select Cylindrical. You can name it whatever you want.

-First mark all faces of the whole area you want a cylindrical mapping for, using the Face Region Select tool (right beside the box numbered 4), in this case probably the slightly-vertical sod area or whatever you want to call it. Then press 2. "Add To".

Then press 3. Move To Center. You likely have to scroll down by clicking the little arrows in order to see that button. You can now de-select the faces, which will make it easier to see how things will look.

Then press 4. the Gizmo tool - which enables us to see and quick-edit a visual representation of the mapping. Then you can press the different attributes in the Gizmo action box and then hold left-click and drag in the views in order to manipulate the mapping (based on which of the XYZ axis you have selected in the views). Uniform Scale will likely need some adjustment until it looks good, Constrain Scale can be useful if it is a very oval bunker. Move up and down on the Z axis can also be useful depending on the texture used.

You can also try different values of 5. U Wrap, which sort of determines how the texture is stretched horizontally versus vertically (when viewed from the side). I think the default value is 1.0, which rarely is ideal if I remember correctly. I used 20 in my example but I only used the ugly default textures so it still didnt look that good when viewed up close...

Cylindrical Mapping.jpg
Cylindrical Mapping.jpg (556.59 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

The textures can be seamblended as usual.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Thank you so much! :notworthy: It'll take some time to get things dialed in, but I'm on the right track now. I'm very appreciative of the time you took to help.
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev