Links 2003 and Links 2001 won't launch

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Danny D

Re: Links 2003 and Links 2001 won't launch

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:33 am I have absolutely no clue or guess about any of that. Only C D (local discs) and E (DVD drive) show up for me at standard, my USB mouse doesnt take up one, nor my non-USB headphones, never had an issue. I would only know how to fill it up to H by removing the mouse and filling my 3 USB ports with a camera and two USB sticks, I could certainly try that, is that what you mean?

P.S. Dan, did you at any point start using the custom RUKSHUK.exe as detailed by pmgolf above? I believe I have it, but my memory is foggy about whether I used it or not when I did a sort of reinstall about half a year ago.
I meant to fill up enough drive letters to where the only ones left are "F" or above, and then see if Links will launch..

I'm using the same RUKSHUK.EXE that I've used from the last time I installed Links on this machine, which was most likely around 2010. the file is dated as 08/02/2002. I looked at my bios a few days ago and it is dated at 2010, and I've not re-installed Links since I built the machine.

Dan
Know how to conquer sand my friend? It only takes a minute. Do this and all your woes will end. Don't put your golf ball in it.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Danny D wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pmI meant to fill up enough drive letters to where the only ones left are "F" or above, and then see if Links will launch..
Thats my default state so Links works then. I tried with F G and H filled up and Links still launched and worked fine. Not sure if I misunderstood something or not.
Finished APCD Projects: Amedal (own design), Nine Bridges (real course), also updates of Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's
Working on: 2 fictional courses + Chicago GC (update) + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Danny D wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pmI'm using the same RUKSHUK.EXE that I've used from the last time I installed Links on this machine, which was most likely around 2010. the file is dated as 08/02/2002. I looked at my bios a few days ago and it is dated at 2010, and I've not re-installed Links since I built the machine.

Dan
That's the good RUKSHUK.exe - 8/2/2002

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:41 pm
Danny D wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pmI meant to fill up enough drive letters to where the only ones left are "F" or above, and then see if Links will launch..
Thats my default state so Links works then. I tried with F G and H filled up and Links still launched and worked fine. Not sure if I misunderstood something or not.
Thanks for the test. You're test proves 2 things to me.
1, Links doesn't specifically search for or need "F".
2, you have spare drives available ABOVE drive letter "F".

I'm now guessing that people that are having the launch problem just don't have enough spare drive letters available when Links searches for one at launch.

I'd like to find someone with a limited system that only provides 4 or 5 drives or drive letters. Someone with no extra drive letters above "F", and have them make the same test. I suspect that's the problem the OP is having. I wonder if he has perhaps a laptop with a single hard drive, a CDROM, and 2 USB ports. C,D,E,and F. If that's the case, Links can't find an unused drive letter that it searches for, and then won't launch.

If we can prove that, we will know what to tell others when they ask. :smile:

Dan
Know how to conquer sand my friend? It only takes a minute. Do this and all your woes will end. Don't put your golf ball in it.