Deleting 2D Mass Plantings

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Weeler

Deleting 2D Mass Plantings

Post by Weeler »

Hi Guys,
I thought this might be the best Forum choice for my question. ( I've already viewed Lez's tutorial on this topic, and it didn't quite address what I'd like to know.) I found a 2001 course that I really like, but I want to make some major and minor changes to it. It is unlocked, and after I make the desired changes, I have absolutely NO intention of re-releasing the course to the Links public. ( I'll just keep the altered course for myself ). It is Lacy
Gearhardt's "Gator Lakes" (as mentioned a 2001 APCD release ). I have both APCD versions: 2001 and 2003 to work with.
What I'm looking for someone to answer for me is this: I don't particularly care for the abundance of "Pampas grass" ( or whatever it may be called) nestled throughout the wooded areas of the entire course. It just seems a bit "too much" for me. I'd like to "delete" it ALL in one fell swoop. Is that possible in the 2001 APCD ? In other words, I'd like to do a "forest planting" reversal, and NOT affect other plantings, such as all the trees, etc.
I tried several different things, and any time I "select" one of the grass bunches to delete it, and press "select all", the program grabs absolutely ALL
the plantings to delete. There's absolutely NO way, I would spend the time to individually select each plant and delete it. If someone who is a true
master of all the nuances of the APCD could give me explicit directions on how to accomplish this.....I would be VERY grateful.
Maybe what I'm asking for could be accomplished with the 2003 APCD.....but how about the 2001 ? Is it even Do-able ?? I'd appreciate anyone's help in this matter because I really think the course is worth the effort. ( Sorry, Mr. Gearhardt.....nothing personal to you as a designer ).
sagevanni

Re: Deleting 2D Mass Plantings

Post by sagevanni »

I don’t know about 2001 version.

If you select the object, below where it says “object library” is “box select current only”.

Make sure you can see the entire course in the “top” view.

Then click and hold the upper left of your box and drag to lower right, make sure you box the entire course....then release the mouse button, this will start selecting only the object you selected and will highlight them…….if there are “MANY” of these objects it may take a long time to see them all selected. Once you see them selected, click the delete icon/button.

Hope this helps…... :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I have no experience of the 2001 APCD, but if it works like the 2003 one:

It is only possible if you have the exact same object within your own object library and current planting set, and most likely its not working for you because that is not the case. If the object in question is a stock one from APCD, it should be possible if you use the same version of APCD that the original designer used and make a planting set where you add all stock objects to it. When you initially select the object (make absolutely certain you only select one object, dont use box select to make certain) it needs to be automatically pop up in your list on the left, thats how you'll know if it will work or not. If it does pop up, you can proceed to do the Box-select-current-only thing.

Note that its not necessarily enough to have the same looking object in your planting set, it needs to be the exact same file. Again, if its an APCD stock object that should not be a problem, but if it was a custom one, it might be impossible to achieve what you want (unless you manage to contact the original designer and get a copy of their exact file of the object). However, one thing you could try (I dont know if it will work or not) is to use the Object library > File > "Import from Course..." feature to find that specific object and add it to your object library and then planting set, but I dont know if it "counts" as the same file then or not.

Also, what Sage said about it taking APCD a while if its a huge amount of objects being selected, but since you said you were getting a selection of all items (that part sounds odd to me, my APCD doesnt behave like that - if I select an object not in my planting set and try box select current only, it doesnt select anything for me) that is probably not your current issue.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Gentlemen.....it WORKED ! I followed Sage's suggestion to the letter, and all of the unwanted plantings were deleted. Thanks for letting me know that
if there was a lot off planting that it would take awhile. It was several minutes and I almost thought the APCD got "locked up". Thanks to both of you for your help with this. If either of you find time, I'd encourage you to download the very small course file and play a few holes in "practice" mode,
skipping forward to various holes, so you can see what I mean about the grasses. There are literally hundreds of them. I also deleted the Panorama
altogether, which makes for a much more "flat" Florida type look. Just doing those two major changes makes a world of difference in the look of the
course. I think it's very nice layout that's fun to play.
Thanks again guys !! :notworthy: