Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Post by sagevanni »

Why not just start a whole new course....?????

I've had to do that......

Sage..... :rant:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Dan, what does the Course Statistics window show for the version you fixed so to speak but still wont open in Links Extender?

Back when I made a list of potential courses to look into updating, when I checked which of them were locked or not I encountered a few courses that wouldnt open in Links Extender but DID open in APCD, though the error message was not identical as the one you showed I dont think, and If I recall correctly it very much seemed like it had something to do with the courses being made in the earlier version APCD, the one for Links 2001. I also encountered one course that got yet another different error message in Links Extender when loading it, though after closing the error message could still seemingly be accessed in Links Extender. That program seems slightly picky about which courses it tolerates :tongue: (although I will add that a vast majority of unlocked courses have opened fine for me)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

The error code also has something to do with file names from what I found. I also deleted those objects, re-saved under a new name and replanted with trees from one of my other courses and it still crashed. It seemed to work at first then it began acting up. Eric was telling me he had an "error abort" message after each save when he started and I'm not sure what that had to do with it. I finally got to the point where I wasn't sure where to go with the file.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If the latest version of WFW won't work, is there any earlier backup version that might work so you won't have to scrap it all? I really like the course and still have my hopes up that it will somehow be released. :clapping:

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Adelade wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:37 am Dan, what does the Course Statistics window show for the version you fixed so to speak but still wont open in Links Extender?

Back when I made a list of potential courses to look into updating, when I checked which of them were locked or not I encountered a few courses that wouldnt open in Links Extender but DID open in APCD, though the error message was not identical as the one you showed I dont think, and If I recall correctly it very much seemed like it had something to do with the courses being made in the earlier version APCD, the one for Links 2001. I also encountered one course that got yet another different error message in Links Extender when loading it, though after closing the error message could still seemingly be accessed in Links Extender. That program seems slightly picky about which courses it tolerates :tongue: (although I will add that a vast majority of unlocked courses have opened fine for me)
After the error message in extender I closed out the message and the extender did tell me the course was locked and could not be opened but it did open in the APCD
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

braden1308 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm
Adelade wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:37 am Dan, what does the Course Statistics window show for the version you fixed so to speak but still wont open in Links Extender?

After the error message in extender I closed out the message and the extender did tell me the course was locked and could not be opened but it did open in the APCD
It's not locked Glenn. That is a standard generic message the Extender throws up any time it can't open a course.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi Adelade. The very first thing I tried to do was to figure out which APCD started the course. Keep in mind that Eric has the original that was given to him by the original designer. It was done in 2005,. I'm thinking by then, everyone would have been using the 2003 version, unless of course they started it and worked on it for several years. I couldn't figure out any way of being able to tell which APCD started the course. I have the original also, and it opens fine in the APCD and Extender.

Here's the stats...
Attachments
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

braden1308 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 11:41 am The error code also has something to do with file names from what I found. I also deleted those objects, re-saved under a new name and replanted with trees from one of my other courses and it still crashed. It seemed to work at first then it began acting up. Eric was telling me he had an "error abort" message after each save when he started and I'm not sure what that had to do with it. I finally got to the point where I wasn't sure where to go with the file.
Hi Glenn... At the times he got the "error abort" messages, he was using Windows Vista on a laptop. It could have been telling him all along that there was something wrong with the file, but he said it kept saving his work, so he kept using it like that. Not sure if that had anything to do with the existing problem he has, but it's really the only thing I've heard that sounded unusual.

Dan
Completed Courses
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Danny D wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:16 pm
braden1308 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 11:41 am The error code also has something to do with file names from what I found. I also deleted those objects, re-saved under a new name and replanted with trees from one of my other courses and it still crashed. It seemed to work at first then it began acting up. Eric was telling me he had an "error abort" message after each save when he started and I'm not sure what that had to do with it. I finally got to the point where I wasn't sure where to go with the file.
Hi Glenn... At the times he got the "error abort" messages, he was using Windows Vista on a laptop. It could have been telling him all along that there was something wrong with the file, but he said it kept saving his work, so he kept using it like that. Not sure if that had anything to do with the existing problem he has, but it's really the only thing I've heard that sounded unusual.

Dan
Hi Dan, I did everything that you did and the course kept freezing either in the APCD or if I was able to v&s it would hang and freeze when the shadow file was loading. I was able to get it to play a couple of times with new planting but when I tried to add more it would hang up. The original file was fine, I stripped it re-saved under a different name planted and it played fine which led me to believe it may have had something to do with the errors Dorse was getting when he saved his updates.

I thought maybe it was the original with the links extender error message then telling me the course was locked. But after all the testing with different files the only one I was able to get to work was the original.

I know the trees I used were good, they were the same ones used on East Lake so that was leading me away from a planting issue but with this program you never know. It was odd that those 2D objects showed up around the first tee for you and then after deleting them another showed up. When I deleted the 2D objects I render the entire course in top view and then use the move button to box select the entire course, let it pick up all objects and then delete, I don't know why but it seems to be more efficient that way. I also looked for 3D objects and deleted them, there was a footbridge on the back somewhere and also checked to see if there were any sound files that could be causing problems but there were none of those.

I hope Eric is able to work on the file you sent him, fingers crossed.

Glenn
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

All I know is I'm grateful for you guys helping out, I was so frustrated and dissapointed, wanted to have a US Open track JUST like the ones the pros are playing for all of us - thats why we play video golf right? to be a pro in the moment.

I wonder if Andrew Jones would answer my email about this 'Error Abort' message, it has to be the key. it also makes a entry in the error log, but I can't make heads or tails out of it. I need a computer programmer - AJ knew all this stuff, he was great. Maybe someone out there knows this stuff, not sure.

HOWEVER, if I can't keep working on the file, I've been thinking, it would only take me about a month to get the course back to where it's at, especially since I just did it. HALF of the time I was cleaning up all the damn extrusions, which are a PITA to remove, so it wouldnt take me long to get the course back. And Glenn offered to do the clubhouse, which is huge because I hate that stuff. so, I will re-do it if I need to. :thumbup: